“One can do better just about any other hotel - best to use the deadbolt”

Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Chicago, Illinois
“One can do better just about any other hotel - best to use the deadbolt”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Filthiest hotel room I have ever seen. Housekeeping was only doing minimal cleaning, The clock radio, the door, and several other surfaces had stains from food slopped on them. I would have changed rooms, but this was already my second room and it was late.

I was awakened twice during the night when someone attempted to enter my room (I thought it was just drunk hotel guests confused and had the wrong room number). It turned out that the negligent hotel staff had failed to note my room change, and they were attempting to give other people my room (fortunately I had the deadbolt engaged). This became clear the following day when a person unlocked my door and walked in with luggage in hand (didn't have the deadbolt engaged that time). He went away apologetic. The hotel management response was to visit my room moments later and accuse me of overstaying my reservation (which I certainly had not). Once the situation was understood, I received an "I'm sorry" and "I'm so embarrassed". No attempt otherwise was made by the hotel management to rectify or improve the situation - not even clean the filth from the room! Just an excuse that the housekeeper was causing them problems.

After leaving, I left feedback at the Best Western site. I finally got an email from the general manager. It was a form letter, the manager didn't even feel that it was worth a few seconds of his time to address anything specific. His apology was simply his standard line:
"I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide superior customer service. I am sorry we were not able to do that for you."

Not exceeding my expectations??? The man is utterly clueless. He offered a small Best Western gift card, not even equal to a single night stay. I refused - based upon this stay, I am concerned about the quality of management at any Best Western.

My horrible stay at this hotel was only surpassed by the general manager's incompetent response and lack of concern.

In case you are wondering why I didn't leave and stay elsewhere initially... if the room hadn't been prepaid, I would have left without ever staying in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SGillinois
bwrocketcity, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
We would like to apologize for your last stay at our hotel. As we are under new management, things have drastically changed for the better and hope you would consider giving us another chance the next time you are in town. Thank you very much for your feedback as we can always learn and improve our property from our customers!

Slash Patel and the Rocket City Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This Best Western appears to be relatively new and is fairly nice. The rooms are pretty standard for Best Western. I didn't find any reason to complain about mine. It's nice that it has a big flat screen television and the windows open all the way, which I like. Also, the hotel is in a great location because it's near the space center and there is a remarkable commercial district around it. There are all kinds of restaurants, shops and other businesses within walking distance.

What's the bottom line? Unless you're really unlucky, this won't be the best hotel you ever stay at. Unless you're very lucky, it also won't be the worst. It's a nice, affordable option close to a lot of things in Huntsville.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dofmars
Thank you so much for all of your feedback! We strive to take all of your comments to heart and use them to improve. As we are under new management, we hope you will allow us to show you all of our improvements the next time you are in town. Again we thank you for your feedback and patronage!

Slash Patel and the Rocket City Staff
Rocklin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I came at midnight and was taken to my room and the first room had a huge stain on the blanket. Asked for another room and that one had stains too! I was so exhausted I had no choice but to sleep there. I had nightmares throughout thinking bugs were crawling on me. I was not offered a discount. I checked out and rolled my bag across the way to the place across the street and it was awesome in comparison.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lj W
bwrocketcity, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Traveling Guest,

Although we do strive to exceed guest expectations in every aspect of our services to you, we were unable to do that and would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Every feedback is important to us and it helps us to improve on our service level for important guests such as yourself. Once again, I do apologize in hopes that we will see you again and provide a better experience on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

I was very skeptical of staying at a Best Western. I was in town on business and needed a hotel close to Marshall Space Flight Center. Most of the ones that I have stayed at were not clean. This hotel was nice. The staff was friendly. The hotel is very close to some amazing restaurants and shopping. Rosie's Mexican Cantina being right in front was a huge plus. The shopping in the area is great...especially Bridge Street. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was a moment when another hotel guest became loud and unruly outside my door in the hallway and the girl at the front desk took care of the problem as soon as I called her. Very helpful!

I will stay here again when I'm in the area.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jlellis1
bwrocketcity, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
To Business Traveler,

Providing superior customer service is our main goal but not the only one. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you again. I agree, Bridge Street is awesome since it has everything from shopping to dining to entertainment in one stop. We hope to see you soon.

Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My family and I went out to visit UAH and was concerned about Best Westerns. This place was 100% great! Great beds, Huge flat screens, huge breakfast selection. Many pillows, candy on bed. It felt like a 4 star! I will stay here again. I got this place through hotwire and was concerned about it even being a 3 star. It turned out to be better than most Hyatt's, Holiday inns, Doubletrees, and Courtyards I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Great German Restaurants in the area.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Davis B
bwrocketcity, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
To Traveling Guest,

It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your family needs at our facility. We do have a few German restaurants and I agree with you that they are great. I still have yet to pick one as my favorite. The walking distance to many others right out the door is very convenient especially for when guests are not too familiar with the area. We hope to see you again soon on your future visits to Huntsville and the UAH campus.

Stacy, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed two nights in January. The second floor room was too warm when we arrived but the AC made it comfortable. Room was clean, probably the best best western we have stayed at. Location had several restaurants nearby. Also close enough to Space Center, which was excellent. The Bridge street mall was nearby and very nice, if you like upscale shops to browse.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charger1970rt
bwrocketcity, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Valued Guest,

Being in close proximity to many things is always a convenience when traveling to different places. We do appriciate your feedback as it helps us to improve and serve every guest in our hotel as a family member. I do agree, the Bridgestreet mall is upper scale but it's like a one stop shop for everything from shopping to eating to entertainment. We hope to see you again soon when you're back in town.

Rocket City Staff
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I was in Huntsville for a business trip. The flat screen TV, fridge, microwave and breakfast were great!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rhonda S
To Business Traveler

Thank you for choosing us as your "suite" choice for your lodging needs. Being able to relax in a spacious room is always a good thing especially when it feels like home. We hope to see you soon on your next visit.

Rocket City Staff