“Pleasant Experience”

Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville/Space Center
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was very nice and clean. The bed was descent but not bad. I have had a nicer beds at other Hilton hotels. The staff were friendly during check-in. The hotel was hidden back up in the cut but accessible. There were no restaurants close to the hotel (walking distance).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcus M

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent facility and staff. Well groomed outdoors. Breakfast to order was awesome. The staff was well accomodating and made the difference in total service excellence. Brandon was certainly a great host.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel has such great reviews that I'm going to go on the assumption that I had a bad run of luck. As the hotel is located very near to the Space Center, it is the perfect location for an overnight drop-off of the kids for Space Camp. We travel down at the start of the week to drop off and again at the end of the week to pick up. This is our second year doing things this way.

Upon entering the lobby, it was clean and nicely decorated. Very upscale with lots of class. There was a bit of a line however and only one clerk working the front desk. Not a big deal but after 9 hours traveling, it's rough to wait in another long line.

I asked the clerk (who was very friendly) where to get some dinner close by and he directed me to a BBQ place a few blocks from the hotel. After unpacking, we headed out there to find it closed on Saturday and Sunday. When we returned and I informed the clerk, he hadn't mistaken the days, but genuinely didn't know they were closed on the weekend. Honest mistake but again, not a very good experience. Now it was getting late and I had to get the kids into the pool (as promised) and fed (as necessary). I had previously scoped out the room service menu and found the prices to be quite reasonable for hotel food. ($7 cheeseburger, $17 ribeye) I inquired about room service delivered poolside so that the kids could get going on their swim and could hop out and eat when the order arrived. The front desk clerk directed me to the nearby bar area to ask someone else. The man over at the bar area told me that they could deliver poolside but that the food would have to be on paper plates. That sounded fine and we went back to the room to get changed and place the order. When I called to place the order the guy who answered stopped me to say "Oh we don't have that anymore. You must have an old menu." I asked him how to get a current one and he offered to bring one up. (That was great!) Upon inspecting the "new" menu, I found that the prices for the same stuff went up A LOT and that the ribeye $17 was now a $20+ sirloin. The increase in burger cost was from $7 to $10 and it was all just rapidly falling apart. I decided on ordering 5 Guys poolside and that worked out great.

The pool was fantastically salty and I loved that, however it was very dirty with floating leaves, bugs and debris. Soon after eating the sun went down and the pool lights came on but there were no lights at the hot tub. There actually WERE lights there (two of them) but they were burned out so the hot tub sat in the shadows. My oldest (14) went in to find out how to turn on the jets for the hot tub and he returned to say "He says there's a switch somewhere in the bushes." Sure enough, after scouring in the bushes, they found a switch. :/

Halfway through the swim I went in to purchase a water from the pantry. After purchasing and on my way out, the front clerk told me that I couldn't take my water out there. He explained that they have previously found the containers, lids etcetera in the pool or clogging the drains. I was completely puzzled because the other guy (the one he directed me to before about food and drinks poolside) had indicated it was fine AND because we had just finished eating our dinner out there AND because there were 2 men lounging poolside smoking cigarettes (YUCK) and enjoying a case of beer. Glass bottles with metal lids. So, I didn't really understand but before I could protest too much, he smiled and just asked me to be sure that I cleaned up after myself. (We did of course)

I had an awful headache in the night and popped down to the pantry to buy another water and some Tylenol. It was about 1:45 a.m. -- There was no one at the front desk. I called out several times, waited 3 or 4 minutes and then left. I returned after a little while and found a very friendly attendant. I purchased my water (they don't have medications) for $1.50 and gave the clerk a $20 bill. While out front for fresh air I counted my change to make sure it was correct at $18.50 and discovered that I now had $34.50. I had actually GAINED $14.50 from the $20 I had when I left the room. On my way back in, I returned the money (the clerk had actually already caught the error before I got to the desk) and exclaimed "Thank God for honest people!" (So true!!) The clerk was very nice and apologetic for the goof up. Didn't bother me at all and not really worth the mention except for the ongoing issues with the stay.

The bed was great, the pillows were great. The shower had nice water pressure and the breakfast I had was pretty tasty. As Honors Members we definitely spend most of our time at Hilton hotels but this particular stay wasn't the best. I'll be headed back that way in a few days to pick the kids back up and I'll give it another try and then update this review to reflect both nights. I'm hoping that was a one-time bad experience but we'll know soon enough! :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Crystal M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had a very nice experience at this hotel. It was very clean, and the staff was very friendly. I will plan to stay here next time I am in the area. I used the inroom dining. The food was excellent. The lobby was beautiful, and they offered a variety of food and drinks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My family loved staying here! The chic lobby is beautifully styled with plush furniture and lovely light fixtures. I wish we could stay longer, just to relax in this up-scale oasis! My kids loved the pool! The staff members were very friendly and helpful. A+

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location of the hotel is what I enjoyed the most. The hotel is located right off of the main highway, however, the street hardly carries any traffic at all. Breakfast was magnificent and encourage any and all people to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is a great family hotel. The staff was wonderful at checking us in and very accommodating. They wanted to make sure we had a good experience at their hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family