“A Supreme Disappointment”

GreenLeadersGold level
usmcfink
“A Supreme Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

This hotel claims to be the fairest in all the land...well, in Huntsville, AL anyway. Some of the things were nice, like the atmosphere (fountains, glass elevators, decor) and the breakfast. Unfortunately, in two days time, I experienced the following:

- Infestation: After leaving, both my girlfriend and I had multiple Bed Bug bites (this has not been verified by medical personnel, it is my opinion based on multiple images viewed in comparison to what we see on our bodies).

- Poor "follow through": When asked to have my room cleaned no later than 12:50pm due to circumstance, the front desk said "no problem." at 12:45 I was tracking down my own maid to come clean the room.

- Malfunctioning equipment: While attempting to watch a movie the movie stopped in the middle of it two or three times before they sent a repair technician up (Larry was his name, who was very kind and helpful). At that point though we were fed up and just said forget it.

- False promises: I asked for the price on a bottle of champaign to be sent to the room. I was informed that it would be $13 (as my date could not tell the difference between expensive or inexpensive anyway). When I requested that it be sent up the next day they chose to send a $50 bottle instead.

After bringing this all to the attention of hotel management, they were unwilling to resolve the difference in price from what they charged me compared to what one could expect to pay for the service rendered. More or less...they were all apologies, but, if money talks, they didn't say a word.

I followed up with Hilton's corporate customer support, who lodged a formal complaint with the hotel. Three days later, after hearing nothing, I called back in. The management was now willing to refund me for one nights stay. I am thankful for the partial refund, but unsure why I had to go to such lengthy measures to get resolution.

Positive things to note:

- The bar staff was very friendly

- The guy who does the omelets was a blast!

- The manager Kim is highly competent

- The people are overall friendly

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank usmcfink

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

We stayed at this hotel on our way home from Florida, and it was fantastic. The price was higher than the hotel in Decatur we chose going down, but the difference in quality was amazing. The place is beautiful, they offer cocktails in the evening, they have all sorts of amenities (shop, dining, pool, fitness center), the rooms are beautiful and clean clean clean, very modern too. The staff there was excellent, I told the breakfast cooks they were the happiest people in all of Alabama. Everyone there was wonderful to us.
The only downfalls of the place are that they have no choice for dining for families with kids. The only dining option is Ruths Chris steakhouse. But we just ordered pizza. Also, I booked online with them, but they had no evidence of my booking when I arrived. It didn't matter, luckily.

• Liked — Clean, modern with a helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nowhere to eat dinner with our kids
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Les68
TEXAS!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

We stayed at the Embassy for a couple of weeks and thought our stay was wonderful. We enjoyed the warm and friendly manner of the staff in addition to their professionalism and efficiency. The pool was always clean and had plenty of towels available. Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning the room in a timely and unobtrusive way. The breakfast had good variety and was fresh and of quality. If I had anything to recommend it would be to upgrade the pastries, bagels and social hour appetizers. They were mediocre.

Our stay was not without issues (they lost an item while transferring our room, and Caffiena's - the coffee/sundry shop ,appeared closed more than it was open) but overall, they went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

I highly recommend!!

• Liked — Great staff, room size, location
  • Disliked — Some of the food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank TexasPlanner
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

Stayed here to get a good nights sleep while traveling cross country. What a nice place. Rooms were very nice. I travel extensively all over the world, and these rooms are right up there with some nice hotels that cater to the business person. Check in process a little lengthy, but I did arrive at 1am.

• Liked — nice, clean, LARGE rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank pposte
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2008

The hotel is well located; it is close to downtown. The room was a standard Embassy Suites room that was modern and clean. If visiting Huntsville again, I would stay here. The only criticism is that it did seem a little ridiculous to pay for hotel parking in Huntsvile. Internet is also additional.

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — View of power lines, internet and parking fees
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank CubbieBear
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

The rooms are very nice and the public areas are pleasant. The problem is that if you do not have a car, there is nothing in the vicinity (except another hotel). Thus, if you want to have a meal you either have to reckon with the grotesquely over priced Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, or purchase soggy tuna sandwiches made the day before last week at the miserable Caffeina’s Marketplace. The "Marketplace" is a poorly stocked counter selling spoiled sandwiches at inflated prices.

The lack of a car hit me real hard when I tried to check out and leave. I asked the front desk to reserve a taxi for 4:30AM (I had a 6:30AM flight). They didn't. At 4:15 there was no one at the counter to check me out, and I literally had to find the sleeping clerk in a nearby room. The taxi stand did not answer her phone calls. Luckily another taxi stopped by close to 5:00 and I was "saved." This was too stressful.

Bottom line: do not stay at this hotel unless you have your own car parked nearby.

• Liked — A modern and clean facility
  • Disliked — Nothing nearby, and in-hotel establishments unsuitable and overpriced
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Reuel_Tidhar
Memphis TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2008

We had some problems with the tv control and one of the tv's didn't have the channel programed in. These were two separate issures and both were handled in an effecient, appropriate and very timely manner. The manager's reception was nice and the breakfast was wonderful! This is the best place to stay. It will be our destination from now on.

• Liked — The friendliness of the employees
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008