“Weekend trip with my son”

Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Shelbyville
“Weekend trip with my son”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

My son & I were in town for the Car Audio World Championships at the Von Braun Center so we weren't in the room much but it seemed to be fairly peaceful surroundings when we were there. Just going to give the facts---room was a good size, bathroom seemed small, beds were VERY comfortable(including the pillows), having no in-room fridge was a little disappointing, staff was really friendly, didn't try the breakfast, wi-fi worked well, location was convenient to several restaurants & the Von Braun---that's pretty much it in a nutshell. My son said he would stay there again if the Championships were ever back in Huntsville. Hope this helps!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RLamb4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We booked a room for two nights and arrived in the early evening to unload before going out again. When we arrived, the front-desk staff was friendly. Yet, a vagrant was walking around outside looking very creepy. We stayed at the same place last year and I believe that is where another vagrant was eating out of the trash can. Anyway, when we were walking to our room facing the pool, across the way were three guys standing outside a room talking real loud and rapping. We left for several hours after unloading our stuff and returned and the same guys were STILL rapping and carrying on very loudly. We got settled in, and a couple of hours later, the rapping was STILL going on, rap "songs" whose lyrics were primarily composed of the "f-word" and the "n-word." Then, after crawling into bed, I noticed hair. I pulled back the sheets and the hair was on the back side of the mattress. We removed the sheets, and the hair was covering the comforter and all over the mattress pad, and the comforter had yellow stains all over it. Before we noticed the comforter and the mattress pad, we took the sheets to the front and I simply asked for replacements. Every trip back and forth meant me walking through the ghetto to theme "music." Yet, upon my return is when we noticed the comforter and mattress pad. I took it back to the front and the nice staff lady was shocked the maids missed it. She said it appeared to her to be dog and cat hair covering all of the bedding. I pointed out that we would have never booked a room if we had known pets had been in there, but she countered that all La Quintas are pet-friendly. I pointed out that La Quinta should disclose upon reservation that prospective guests may be staying in a room in which pets have been and that my wife is allergic to pet dander/hair. I had already mentioned the rapping on my first visit to get the sheets and was told then that she would "do her thing" at about 10pm when she went to lock the pool. (Lock the pool in mid-late October?!) Upon my return, the rapping had continued for another 15 minutes and I was told that the manager had said she was sorry for my experience I said I wanted to just get my money back. They reversed the charges, but unfortunately the authorization had already locked out those funds for using at another motel. As we were loading up, the rapping and raucous continued. It was midnight before we finally got settled into another motel after driving around Huntsville. For $20 more a night, we got a GREAT room, but NOT at a La Quinta. BTW, did I mention that when I was leaving I noticed tha the the motel inspection rating sheet posted in the lobby said "81"?! Go figure!

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank 861amandam

Travellers are raving about these Huntsville hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I would definately stay at this hotel again. If you're looking for 4-star luxury, this is not the place for you. However, if you're on a tight budget and want a clean place to sleep, I recommend this hotel. The check in was quick, efficient and friendly. Our room (on the first floor) was clean and didn't have any weird odor. A nice bonus was seeing the fridge and microwave. The place is a bit dated and if you look closely you'll see a few things that could be repaired, but I had no complaints. The king bed was very comfortable. Plentiful hot water. Free breakfast. Efficient housekeeping service. (I did not check out the pool.) Yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor require that you use the stairs. There is no elevator. All rooms open up to th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I needed to stay in Huntsville to take care of some personal business. With the ecomony being in the state it's in and my wallet being in the state it's in, La Qunita was choice for this trip. I knew I could get a good room for my money. The fact that breakfast was includedmade it better. The hotel is a little old, but the location was convenient to where I needed to be. The breakfast area was a little cramped, especially during the peak periods. Other than the roach or waterbug in the bathroom (I stomped it before the true identification could be made), I had a nice stay. The staff was pleasant and friendly. My preference would be a hotel where the rooms opened to an inner corridor. I would suggest this La Quinta for anyone working on a budget. Reasonable rate and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights while kids were at Space Camp. Room was very large, clean and comfortable. Exterior 1st floor King with fridge and micro for under $50 with AAA discount.

Had work center in room and wireless internet worked great.

Bed was great, very comfortable with pillow top. A/C was great and not very loud.

Convenient location with local businesses. Never felt unsafe.

Would stay again and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013
Norfolk, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were trying to decide between the Space Center location and the Research Park location. Space Center was cheaper, but didn't have as high of ratings. We took a chance on it and we were glad we did. Though the hotel is somewhat dated, our room was spacious (interior king suite) and well priced. The night clerk Pat was very friendly and helpful. We told her about a problem with the bathtub curtain and the next day it was fixed. The breakfast crew kept things cleaned up as the morning progressed. The orange juice dispenser ran out but a jug of OJ was available.
I found out the reason for the lower price was location. We never felt unsafe during our stay and actually extended it by an additional day. Olive Garden was across the way and other businesses were close by.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteveS_2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

My family and I drove down from Indiana to visit some friends in Huntsville. We booked this room through Wyndham and was able to receive a senior discount. We stayed four nights. My grandmother is disabled and we had no problem at all with requesting a first floor room that was also close to the pool. Our room had a new flat screen tv, cable, an air conditioner that worked really well, and a fridge/microwave. The facilities were very clean and the free continental breakfast was great. It had bagels, oatmeal, waffles, cereal, muffins, coffee, juice, and yogurt.

Our room was very clean and the bathroom was a decent size. I can honestly say that the beds were some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel.

The pool is situated between four buildings for some privacy. It was very clean and well kept. There were plenty of families enjoying their stay.

Even though the hotel is not in a classy part of the city and is on the north side, we had no trouble at all finding our way around the area. We were just a few minutes from downtown, the veterans memorial, Twickenham historic district, maple hill cemetery, and the historic slave cemetery. It is also close to I65 and the rocket center.

My only qualms about this stay was that most of the staff was not very friendly. They did not offer much customer service except for the desk attendant at night.

pros: pet friendly, free wifi, close to interstate And minutes from downtown, nice clean pool, continental breakfast. Comfortable beds. Clean rooms.

Cons: rude staff.

To sum it up: great for families, great value, clean, and priced just right.

Room Tip: Motel style hotel- doors open to outside not a hallway. There are no elevators so if you cannot use...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family