“Work Trip”

Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Work Trip”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here for a week for work. I arrived really early and I was able to check in right away. When I got to my room it was clean. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom showed a little wear, but I was very satisfied. The hotel is within walking distance to some restaurants, which is good when you don't have a car. The breakfast food was pretty good. Nothing special, but it was good. The pool was a good size and there were plenty of tables by the pool for people to sit by. The fitness room was extremely small, but I used my room to workout. I did hear a quest ask the front desk about a pass to the gym across the road, so if you want to workout, maybe ask the front desk about this. The bar shows some age, but the waitresses was very friendly. All of the staff at the hotel were very friendly to me as well. I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. It's an older property that has been updated but is showing a bit of wear, nothing major, just not brand spanking new. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The A/C, refrigerator, microwave and TV worked just fine. The outdoor pool area is big enough to relax without feeling like you're crowding other people. The staff was friendly. My only complaint is that we could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the bathroom of the room next to us. My son and I were going to eat dinner at the on-site restaurant about 8:30pm, but the DJ had already started in the adjoining bar and it was just too loud. So we walked across the parking lot to a steak house. The bar gets rather rowdy and loud. I would have liked a continental breakfast option. Bottom line, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The restaurant/bar is on the first floor and it can get rather loud when the DJ starts up.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear chris37205,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review of our property. We are delighted to read you liked your room accommodations and hope you had a pleasant stay as well. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your feedback, this will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for your time and for staying with us. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Connie D
Case Manager
pulaski
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I don’t think I can brag enough about this hotel! My husbands grandfather was having surgery at the nearby hospital and the manager gave us a really great deal on the very few open hotel rooms. She also included free breakfast buffet our whole stay, which ended up being 5 days. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. They had new flat screen t.v.’s, a fridge, and a microwave. This hotel is very accommodating. My husband needed a fax sent to him, and the staff at the desk were very happy to help out. Anytime in the future I come to Huntsville, this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the manager Colleen. She is very helpful!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the Hotel. Stayed on the executive floor which is suppose to have continental breakfast and cocktails in the evening. To my suprise this does not apply to weekend stays. This caveat was no where to be found in the online booking. In addition the Hotel is in need of a major renovation. Many of the people we spoke to complained of poor functioning air conditioner units. On our 2nd night the air condtioning unit in our room had to be removed and replaced. The employee was very polite and efficient which is about the only positive I have for my stay. There are a lot of other options in the area I probably would not go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear uh17te,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
Reviewed 23 March 2012 via mobile

First time to stay here. I was not impressed by the room. It is an older hotel. The staff was friendly. I had an over night stay to catch a 6am flight. 3:30 in the morning I'm walking on a wet floor by the refrigerator. Had to put towels down. I informed the front desk, he just said sorry and didn't offer any compensation or lowering of room rate. Won't be staying here in the future.

Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Abel02,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am deeply sorry for the problem you encountered with the water on the floor. I am glad to hear you reported this to the Front Desk so they can have the problem fixed. This will ensure it will not happen to another guest. Thank you again.

Katie J
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This was my family's third time staying at this hotel, and we had a great time! The hotel is located across the parking lot from Madison Square Mall, and there's a Lone Star, Buffalo Wild Wings and Steak n' Shake very close, so you can just walk to shops and dining. The hotel is exceptionally clean, although a little outdated with carpet and peeling paint. Our room came with a microwave and fridge, as it did twice before, so I wonder if they're standard for all of the rooms. Although we didn't stay in one this time, the hotel's Executive Suite is really roomy and has a kitchen area (no stove, just counter space, a sink, microwave and fridge with free popcorn!)

No real complaints about the rooms/cleanliness; room service was on top of it all. The pool area is wonderful and clean--there is an indoor pool with a through-the-building entrance to the outdoor pool. You can swim between both pools without having to get out of the water, which I thought was pretty cool. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which was a bit overrated for the price (found better food outside the hotel for cheaper).

The hotel had offered free drinks and light evening fare in the 5th floor lounge, but as of September 2011, the service had been discontinued. Too bad, because it was a nice way to do a small happy hour and snack before dinner.

Overall, this is a great place to stay, and it's in a decent location, with easy access to major chain stores and other restaurants on US 72 and relatively close access to the outdoor mall (Bridge Street) and I-565. Highly recommended hotel and location!

Room Tip: If you have kids, pay a little extra and get an Executive Suite so you can have more space.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Roanoke, Indiana
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed here recently while on business and had a reasonably good experience. The hotel certainly shows some age (especially metal surfaces in many places and in the rooms), but is generally well maintained.

The room was comfortable, but the mattresses need to be replaced. I chose the bed nearer the bathroom, and the mattress on the nightstand side was heavily worn and sagging. This was improved greatly by just turning the mattress so I had the other side next to the nightstand, but this shouldn't be necessary. It appeared that the same was true of the other bed. The window kept the traffic noise out quite effectively, but this was more than offset by the very loud below-window air conditioning unit (nothing malfunctioning - just LOUD). Unfortunately, just a typical Holiday Inn - a clear step down from my usual haunts (Marriott and Hilton brands).

Front desk service was quick and attentive, so no complaints there. Service in the bar was also friendly and attentive. The free coffee and hot drinks in the lobby was appreciated.

The hotel is in a safe secure area, with a decent mall in the backyard, with plenty of restaurants and shops nearby along the street as well. Also not very far from the much swankier outdoor mall.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
hsvrp, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
BlueSkies500:

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay. I will most certainly share your observations with our Maintenance, Lounge and Front Desk Managers. I am sorry that we fell short of some of your expectations and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. We certainly strive to maintain the best possible environment for our guests and are currently making improvements to our guest rooms as I type this message. If you can possibly message me the room number of your stay (if you recall) I will have our Maintenance Department address you specific concerns - hsvrpsales@aol.com. Thank you again.