“Tired and Old”

Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Tired and Old”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

After my last visit to this hotel I vowed I would never use it again but unfortunately a colleague did the booking so I returned with some trepidation. During the 4 years I had been away nothing had changed and in ways the hotel had got worse. In my room the carpet was threadbare and the rest of the furnishings and fittings were old and in need of refurbishment and in my colleague's room there was no shower curtain, obviously the management had not heard of quality control. Breakfast, whilst wholesome, took an age and for the most part the staff were surly and abrupt. The bar was OK but one member of staff appeared to be high on some substance and was far too friendly and wouldn't leave us alone. One of the very few saving graces was the efficiency and politeness of the staff working on the desk. My advice is to avoid at all cost and use the Marriott next to the Space Center or the Embassy Suites downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Christopher C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Dear Christopher C,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I stayed for a night at this hotel with my mother and my 5 year old twin boys. We enjoyed our stay. They had our room ready two hours early so that was great. We booked it because we wanted an indoor pool and a place in a nice area close to Huntsville Botanical Gardens to see the Galaxy of Lights.

Pros-nice staff
Lots of luggage carts
located in a mall parking lot so close to many stores and restaurants-but bad traffic if you go at Christmas time which we did so keep that in mind
We did not hear the bar and live music in our first floor room at all
the indoor pool was nice and sauna and the outdoor pool looked nice as well
The beds were comfortable and the furniture was nice
Nice linens
Clean

Cons-
A little pricey
The tv set up was annoying because when you turn it on it goes to some channel where they make you try to buy pay per view and it was hard to get off of it and someone could easily accidentally order a pay per view movie that way.
a little cramped in the room for multiple people
the hot tub was way too hot when we first got there, but I told them to turn it down and they did and then it was fine
the pool was a little cold and could have used a heater

I would stay there again and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: I liked that we were on the first floor very close to the entrance and the pool so we did not have t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank aprilsumner
Peter D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and glad you had a great weekend. we have looked into the TV situation and have that squared away. Pool and hot tub temperatures are monitored everyday and we attempt to keep both at the advised temp. we hope you give us the pleasure of serving you again soon
atlanta
Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

Newer room than last time and updated lobby area. Forgot a razor and the staff brought one with shaving cream within minutes. Really enjoyed the band at Hoppers. Indoor heated pool makes it nice for children too.

• Stayed December 2012
Peter D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you so much for your show of support! Come back and see us soon
Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed 18 November 2012

The property is currently undergoing renovation. If you making reservations, make sure you ask for one of completed rooms. We didn't know about that and got one of the rooms no yet renovated and it was pretty worn and beat up.
There is a good workout room and pool.
The bar/restaurant was nice and they have live music on the weekends. The drinks were a little pricey but not outrageous. It was right next to the expressway but surprisingly quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for one where the renovations are complete
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BRIAN L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed here for a week while in Huntsville for work training. The staff was so friendly and the hotel is clean and well maintained. The restaurant, bar on site was conveinent for dinner and drinks. The location of the hotel is ideal for sightseeing because it's near the several highways that access Huntsville. It's very close to shopping and restaurants. The indoor pool is not heated so that was a bit of a bust for our kids this time of year but that was our mistake for not asking when we booked the hotel. We definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ihatejunkmail
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. For me, the best thing about the property was the fact that there was a refrigerator and also a microwave in each room. My colleagues and I met at 6:35 in the restaurant for dinner on Monday night. It was nearly 9:00 before I made it back upstairs to my room! To say the service was "slow" is an understatement! We even joked about going to the kitchen to help the cook with our meal. The waitress played right along with us and told us when we could expect the check in the mail for our services. They were slow; but, as I stated before, quite friendly. Monday was the only night I ate in the restaurant. I ate my leftovers for breakfast on Tuesday morning. It is a good thing that I did. Other colleagues who ate breakfast in the hotel on Tuesday morning said they were equally slow. Tuesday was karaoke night in the restaurant. I must say I enjoyed that. There were some very serious singers there! You could tell "it wasn't their first time!" I also liked the location of the hotel. It was right across the street from a mall and a WalMart. Unfortunately, because of my schedule, I wasn't able to go to the mall, but it is good to know it's there. If I have to go to Huntsville again for business or pleasure, I will definitely consider this property. All in all, things were ok. When you know what you are dealing with, you can deal with it. It was just a laid back time in Alabama.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DrBLouisiana
ResearchPark, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Huntsville - Research Park, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
DrBLouisiana:

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Research Park during your September visit to Huntsville. We truly appreciate your kind words regarding the friendliness of our staff members as well as the benefits of our guest room accommodations and location. However, we were disheartened to hear that the quality of your restaurant experience was not all that you or we would hope for it to be. Although we always wish for our guests to feel relaxed and at home during their stay we certainly would never want it to seem as though our team was unresponsive or lackadaisical when it comes to our guests' needs. We will certainly share both the good and less than perfect points of your stay with our staff and their department managers. We hope that you will allow us to better serve you on future visits to Huntsville.

Many thanks,
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed 17 September 2012

From the welcome at Check in , to the attention to detail of the amenities in the room the staff at this hotel was exceptional. The hotel granted is slightly aging,but it is still very well maintained. they are currently in the process of revamping. Gereat feature is the indoor/outdoor pool, kids would love it. the in house restaurant, served exceptional food. All together a great place to stay for either business or leisure.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 5th floor are excellent, they supply you a bathrobe, and snacks and drinks in the e...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MeksO
MeksO:

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Research Park and for the kind comments regarding your stay. We will certainly share your observations with our team and hope that we may serve you again very soon.

Safe Travels!