Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive
Ranked #36 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Buffalo, New York
“Great staff!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I barely noticed the "older" and "outdated" building that previous reviewers mentioned. What I found was a clean comfortable room (did miss a fridge and microwave), great breakfast, yummy cookies and free cocktails. All of this was great but the best was the friendly helpful staff. The front desk staff greeted me with a smile and a "how can I help" from beginning to end. Eddie was great!! The van service to and from the airport was so convenient, but taking us to dinner and picking us up was above and beyond. Being from the North I have only heard of "southern hospitality" but this hotel proves it is still alive and well. Thanks for being my home away from home this week during my conference!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Cheryl8675309,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review! Our staff takes great pride in providing true Southern Hospitality and we are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us. We truly appreciate your gracious comments regarding our staff. I will be sure to share your accolades with everyone and congratulate Eddie for a job well done.

We thank you for staying with us during your conference. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Huntsville.
p.s. Nice user name.

Charles Guice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Birmingham
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here because it was only 3 - 3 1/2 miles to the Von Braun Center where my granddaughter was competing in gymnastics. Even though it an older property, the rooms were Ok, no refrigerator or microwave, but adequate as we were checking out early since my granddaughter had to be at the Center by 7:30. We were in the 2nd bldg. at the rear, which was fine because it was very quiet and no door slamming all night. I had to call front desk for mtce as I had trouble with TV, and he was at our door within 3 minutes. Problem resolved and all was well. About 10 minutes later, the phone rang and it was the front desk to check and see if mtce made it and were we happy. I thought this was a very nice touch. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The best part was the breakfast as it actually opened up at 6 AM on Sunday morning so we could all grab a bite to eat before departing. The dining area was huge and lots to select from for breakfast and enough places to sit and relax.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the back to avoid traffic noise on University Blvd.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Shelbycruiser,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your kind remarks regarding our hotel and staff. We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your remarks with all the staff and congratulate our maintenance staff. It is always a pleasure to hear positive feedback

We thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you again.

Richmond, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This place needs to be demolished and rebuilt or simply rebranded as a motel 8. I couldn't use the internet because it was so slow. Called the front desk twice to complain and they told me they would reset the router. Either this didn't fix it or they never actually did it.

The place is just drab- popcorn ceilings, cracking plywood laminate furniture and fluorescent lighting with a vending machine at the end of every hall. Oh and no elevators if you are on the second floor. It just wasn't a pleasant experience. Go stay in a Hampton Inn, they are at least consistent from location to location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear William H,

We are so sorry to hear of your experience at our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences you were caused due to the problems you encountered. Our team strives to provide every guest with an outstanding stay and we are disappointed when a guest has any thing less than a wonderful experience. We do appreciate your sharing your comments with us so that we can take the necessary actions to prevent another guest's disappointment. I have already spoken with the Manager on Duty that you spoke with to try to determine what the problem was with the Internet.

I do want to mention that we actually are opening a new location soon just west of our current location. That in no way diminishes the level of service we want to provide now, however. I just hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and provide you with a better experience.

We thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express and hope to see you again.

Oakland, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed (1) night, and was very glad it wasn't more.

- Poor treatment of one staff by another staff member on check-in
- Barking dog on our floor
- HORRIBLE internet service- slow, erratic, and just all around bad.
- The single most annoying HVAC unit ever made. Unit cut on and off ALL NIGHT LONG. Would stay on for 60-90 seconds, shut off for 90-120 seconds, and turn back on. Sounded like a jet engine.

I didn't complain to the desk, because we were very tired and just needed to sleep. I am advising priceline as well- this is the quality of a Days Inn/Best Western with a Holiday Inn Express badge. This is NOT a 3.5 star hotel!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear jmaddox112974,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and we like to hear from our guests on how we are doing.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and apologize for the inconvenience you were caused. We appreciate your bringing these items to our attention and we will be sure to address and rectify each one.

Again, my apologies. I do wish you would give us another opportunity to better serve you and we could prove to you our commitment to guest satisfaction.

charlotte, nc
Reviewed 22 October 2013

stayed there for business 1 night.
my room was 316. i asked for no smoking room. when i arrived at the room, the hallway smell of cigarettes was unbearable. went back to the main desk and the explanation was :" this is because you are close to the edge of the smoking section...it ends at room 315"!!!! i felt like i travelled back in time on one of those pan am smoking flight where you were sitting in the row right behind the smoking section...unbelievable!
this morning it was also really weird. in the breakfast room i couldn't find the garbage cans to clean up my plates. so i brought them to the main table to clean up my place.
the attendant came back, looked at me like i was crazy and told me to go and clean up my stuff in the garbage can (she just pointed where the can was...)
again i felt like i was time traveling and i was in preschool...
at least i felt younger... but i will not recommend this hotel to anybody!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear flipclt,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered and I apologize for the service you received and the inconvenience you were caused.

Our hotel staff strives to provide an atmosphere of friendly service and clean, comfortable accommodations. Unfortunately in your case we fell far short of our goal and I am sorry you did not experience the best we have to offer. I have shared your comments with our front desk and breakfast staff so that we can be sure another guest does not experience your disappointment.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we are grateful that you brought this matter to our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again and we can provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night as a platinum elite IHG member w/ this holiday inn express.the breakfast was ok,but not the best,but the breakfast staff was really sweet.the hotel was laid out different than normal but the room I got w/ my points was huge,which was great.i was impressed,& the bed was really comfortable.i was disappointed w/ what looked like blood on the roll of toilet paper in the bathroom,& found a bloody used qtip behind the bathroom door.that was disgusting of course.the rest of the room was clean,& I enjoyed my stay.i did call the front desk twice for assistance w/ the wifi password & they did not answer the phone,which was frustrating,because I know someone was at the front desk & it was late night when I called two different times & no answer.i would stay here again, but the front desk staff needs to learn how to answer the phone & the bathrooms need to be cleaned better.

• Stayed October 2013
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Nashvillecat83,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. As a IHG Rewards Platinum Elite member, we appreciate your loyalty and value your feedback.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your Platinum upgrade to one of our spacious suites. I am sorry to hear that we did fall short in a couple of areas and I appreciate your bringing those to our attention. I do apologize for the inconvenience you were caused and we will be certain to address those issues with our staff.

We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We set off on a two week vacation without reservations of any kind. It was our goal to wing it, keep our costs down, but not forego quality. We found a coupon for HIE at a rest area and frankly I thoroughly expected that there would be some provision that I would unable to meet. Such was not the case. The terms of the coupon were met on both ends. And so we met our goal to keep the cost down without foregoing quality. The property is in excellent condition, but more importantly the staff there make it happen.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
hsvex, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville-University Drive, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear gblack7205,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We appreciate you taking time to review our hotel and appreciate your kind remarks, especially regarding our staff. I know they will be delighted to hear your accolades and I will be sure to share your comments with them.

We are glad to chose to stay with us and look forward to the pleasure of serving you on your next trip to the area.