“Okay stay but for one night”

Courtyard Huntsville University Drive
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Atlanta, GA
“Okay stay but for one night”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We have family in Huntsville, AL and have stayed here twice.
Once in Feb 2010 and again in May 2010. The hotel is clean and staff is friendly.

When we stayed in February we were awoken at 3a.m by a fire alarm, which is why I give it 4 stars. We all had to get out of the hotel room with 2 young kids which was very inconveniencing. They said it was someone smoking that started the alarm, I guess in one of the rooms.

This time in May I was rather skeptical about staying here but it was pretty uneventful.
The breakfast is great with all the usual, eggs, bacon, sausage its not free costs about $10 for adult, my 4 year old got it free which was okay as he only had a bowl of cereal.

I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank tinsle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
USA
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My biggest disappointment was that they do not serve a free continental breakfast. They charge $10.95 for an American breakfast! The Hilton Garden Inn, which is only a few minutes from this hotel, charges $8.95 for an American breakfast and $5.95 for a continental one, and it has higher reviews. Other hotels on University Drive, that charge similarly for a one-night stay, serve a free continental breakfast. The freezer section of our refrigerator was caked with ice crystals. There was no microwave in the room. The Hilton Garden Inn has a microwave in every room. No, I don't work for Hilton. I just compared different hotels after my stay here and found I could have done better. The curtains on the sliding glass window were hanging off the hooks in places, as was the shower curtain. The bathroom does not have an exhaust fan, which has caused the paint on the ceiling to peel and requires you to leave the bathroom door open during your shower. The coffee maker makes one cup at a time - delivered into a Styrofoam cup. There were no tea bags for those who do not drink coffee. I went downstairs to check out the complimentary coffee station, but it only had decaf coffee and no napkins. I asked the desk staff several questions during my stay and they mostly looked at me as if I had just landed on earth. Ok, now for something nice. The maid service was 'good'. As usual, the maid was over-worked. She did an adequate job keeping my room tidy. The pool appeared pretty and well-kept. Didn't try out the hot tub or pool. The television was fine and had a good selection of stations. Overall there is a feeling of depression at this hotel. The employees were not excited to see the guests. If I need to stay in Huntsville again, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CatSilver
St. Thomas
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I stayed here for one night during a business trip to Huntsville. The Marriott Courtyard Huntsville was very comfortable, good service at check-in, internet connection was very good (free) and I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Virgin Island Traveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I truly enjoyed my stay with friends at the Courtyard by Marriott Huntsville during the Easter holiday. The Front Desk Lead, Erin Robertson was soooo gracious when we arrived. Our flight got in early and we were not sure if we could check in at 10 am on a holiday weekend. I had reserved 2 Queens beds and it was not available until later that day, but they were able to place us in a room with 2 Double beds right away. This was great because we were traveling early and was a little tired.

The hotel is located in a GREAT location. It's near lot's of restaurants and the main highways.

The hotel is nice and clean and the breakfast selection was good. Parking was convenient and FREE. Did I mention FREE? So was the wired internet. That was a nice plus.

I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Xquizit
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 9 December 2008

One of the worst customer service and check-in experiences I've ever had. Long story short was that my room was not ready until after 5pm (check-in at 3). According to the Manager on Duty, the Sales staff permitted previous night guests to check out at 5pm, when they were fully booked for the next night AND cleaning crew was set to depart at 4pm. Later, counter staff could not have been more rude and unprofessional towards our group. I witnessed some of this and was speechless at the tone and complete disregard for their customers. Attendant was downright snotty and angry that we interrupted her TV watching. Ants had taken over the 3rd floor. New visiting Manager was very nice and apologetic, but was only there a short time. He indicated that this particular hotel is in turmoil, but that problems were being addressed. I won't stay again, but give it some time and perhaps some new personnel and training will do the trick. On the upside, rooms were otherwise nice as were the grounds. Breakfast was OK, and that staff was very good. Not typical of my Marriott experiences.

• Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Minivantraveler
Aurora, CO (suburb of Denver)
Reviewed 28 May 2008

After checking the hotels in Huntsville with TripAdvisor, we decided to stay at the Courtyard, Huntsville because of the reasonable price. We had requested a higher floor and extra pillows, and somehow those requests were overlooked. The front desk clerks were cordial, but not particularly warm. Even though we arrived at 3:00, the normal check-in time, our room was not ready. We waited in the very nice lounge/breakfast area. The first room we were given had a courtyard view, with a small enclosed patio. The view seemed closed-in, so we requested an outside room. The second room was much better -- a parking lot view with trees, and much more open. During our first night there, we heard sirens. When I called the front desk about them, and we were told that there was a tornado warning, which meant that tornadoes were in the area. When we asked what we should do, they said we could come down to the first floor, or watch the channel that gave weather updates for the area. We opted to watch the TV, and once the storms had passed we went back to sleep. However, the front desk gave us no warnings or instructions, with tornadoes touching down in the area! We also had some problems with the tub -- the faucet was stuck in the shower position, so you couldn't run a bath or check the water temperature from the faucet -- the water went directly to the shower. The refrigerator had someone's leftovers in it, and when I told the front desk they apologized and gave me a free soda from their little store. When I asked how much extra the breakfast would be, the clerk gave us a free breakfast pass, which was very much appreciated. The breakfast on Sunday was extremely busy (Mother's Day, and graduation weekend for the University), so the food was not stocked well due to the large number of people. The make-your-own waffles were very good, and the food was pretty good, especially since it was complimentary! Monday's breakfast was much calmer, and the food was not so picked over and fresher. My husband said the fitness room was adequate, although the pool was unheated and rather chilly for swimming. We left a tip each day, which was appreciated by the maid. She even left us a thank-you note after the first night. It was nice to have a refrigerator to keep cold pop and some leftovers from a meal. The bed was comfortable, but not exceptional. It was nice to have the sink area separated from the toilet and shower area. Good sized closet with lots of hangers. Overall a decent place to stay, and the staff was OK, but not particularly warm. For our next visit to Huntsville, we'll probably try someplace else, even though we were able to stay here for less than $90 a night.

• Liked — Good price for room, and we were given free breakfast coupons
  • Disliked — Front desk wasn't warm, and didn't notify us of tornado warning or what to do until we called them
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jcjintegrity
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 12 April 2008

Well maintained, front desk was attentive, plenty of choices for restaurants within a short drive. For business travelers there is a Fedex-Kinkos across the street.

Breakfast was the standard buffet - average at best

Stayed April 2008