“Clean and Comfy but Isolated and No Free WIFI!!!”

Huntsville Marriott at the Space & Rocket Center
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The rooms are quiet and comfy. I did not try the restaurant but I did use the workout facility and it is small but modern. The pool looked fun but it was cold while I was there so no pool time for me. This hotel is very close to the Rocket and Space Museum and also right off of the highway so it is a straight shot (about 15 minutes) to the airport. It isn't close to anything to eat though... The seafood place on the corner was under renovations while I was there and that was sort of within walking distance (a half a mile). The botanical gardens are about a mile away. My biggest gripe is that they charge for the internet. It was about $15 a day and there is this hokey around it so be careful. The charge is for 24 hours but IT IS NOT from the moment that you pay. So if you pay at 7am and their 24 hour cycle is from 12pm - 12pm the next day...you will only get to use it for 5 hours and then you have to pay again! You can stay at the Marriott Courtyard on University Drive and have all of the internet that you want for no charge and be closer to places to eat and things to do...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel is in a great location if you're visiting the Space and Rocket Center, only steps away. If you're visiting Huntsville for something else there are other hotels in the area that are nicer with nightly rates around the same as this hotel. The hotel has a restaraunt and lounge located in the hotel. A dinner for 2 in the onsite restaraunt would probably run you $50 and up. After looking over the menu we decided to get dinner elsewhere so I can't comment on the quality of the food. The room was nice and roomy with a comfortable bed. Our biggest complaints were that the room smelled musty and damp. The room was also hot, our room never reached a comfortable temperature. If you enjoy shopping and fine dinning make sure to visit the Bridge Street Towne Center during your visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2011

... very little reason to stay there otherwise, except for the RIDICULOUSLY comfortable beds and great outdoor pool! As already said in many previous reviews, the hotel looks dated (because it is). The rooms are ample but not exponentially more so than a Marriott Courtyard or Fairfield Inn. If you have a car and want to be close to everything else, then skip this property and save some $$. If you want remoteness or are staying here for an on-site event, then you'll enjoy the comfort and convenience of this Marriott. But at this property, you are paying 2X as much as the other Marriott properties. What I still can't get over and why I cannot give this property a higher rating is that for $200/night, there is no free Wi-Fi ! I understand that this property mainly caters to conventions and business groups who just charge such "extras" to expense accounts, but seriously? In this day and age - who doesn't offer free Wi-Fi? They "offered" it to me for 19.95/ day. Breakfast was another added expense. We had a car so we had no problem driving to the main drag for food, shopping, etc. and it was cool for the kids to see a rocket from the room window. We did not use Otters, the sports bar in the lobby.
The staff was very accommodating and professional. Did I mention the ridiculously comfortable beds?
Another slight annoyance was that housekeeping tried to come in to clean every morning starting at 8am, waking my 8 year old daughter who likes to sleep in. Are most people completely out of their rooms by 8 AM? Maybe I'm just in summer mode...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 days and loved it. Great location NEXT to Space Center - you could walk there! restaurant and bar were clean and nice. Lobby was adequate. Free parking on ground level is very convenient. Good value for this place

Room Tip: Called hotel directly
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at the Marriott next to the space center complex as we dropped my daughter at Space Camp. On first impression, the hotel is dated, looking like it was built in the 70's. Don't hold the whole facility hostage because of that. It is actually quite nice.

Check in was quick and efficient; friendly front-desk staff. I couldn't find a luggage trolley, but waited for another guest to return one. After loading our luggage onto the cart we wheeled it in the lobby to find a bellhop was already on duty. I must have missed him initially. No problem though.

I was staying with my wife and two teenage girls. I requested two double beds and a rollaway. The room was smaller than what you would come to expect from hotel rooms built in the last 15 years, so it was quite tight quarters for the four of us. The front desk informed me that there was no roll-away bed - only an air mattress. I've never heard of such a thing. The bed was delivered while we were out to dinner. It truly was a blow-up air mattress - but not blown up. Thank goodness they gave us a pump. My oldest daughter volunteered to sleep on it but was awake by 6 am because the air mattress had deflated and she was basically laying on the ground. I've got the same type of mattress at home, so I know how to pump it up and seal it. This was kind of a big deal to me; thank goodness it was her and not me.

The room was appointed nicely. Nice bedding, clean and updated bathroom, efficient hot water, nice shower head, well lit. I didn't use it, but this Marriott had the new "multi-port" TV base where you can plug in any conceivable type of electronic device to display on the TV.

About 5 to 8 minutes from the hotel is the retail / dining area. You will find grocery stores, WalMart, Target and restaurants. The restaurants are your normal chain restaurants and there are plenty of them.

The pool in the hotel was the definite highlight. It is large, indoor/outdoor, very warm, nice chairs, abundant supply of towels.

We did not use Otters - the sports bar.
We had a buffet breakfast at Season's restaurant. Our meal was free because the concierge lounge was closed for the weekend. The breakfast buffet offered your typical fare - eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, pastries, bagels, cold cereals, juices and milk. A standard breakfast menu is also available for food orders. Our waitress was not particularly effusive, but she was efficient and kind.

We stayed at the hotel using Marriott Rewards, so I cannot address the value/merit of rates. I am Gold with Marriott Rewards and would have appreciated an upgrade, but I also recognize that when using Rewards, they don't often give room upgrades and the fact that I am no longer Platinum, I think I got what I expected. If we were staying for longer than one night, I may have asked for an upgraded room.

Overall, an average experience. I would have given 4 stars overall if the room had been bigger or a real roll-away bed had been offered.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ripwild
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed here a quick 2-night business trip. Located directly beside the Space Center, and very close to the main highway, just a few miles from the airport. Overall, it was an average Marriott, with an obviously old building and facilities, average customer service and an average restaurant. What made up for this was the great room. I had a king-room, and it was outstanding, with high-quality Marriott decor and bed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2011

It's an Alright Hotel But not a Resort Hotel. I have stayed at nicer Resort Hotels for way less and received way more. My room was all prepaid 6 months in advance. When it was time to check out they tried to gig me for another $100 bucks. Good thing I had my smart phone and had all my receipts at hand. Boy that was mess. Food and Drinks are better off to get them somewhere else. Yet again the price and quality did not match. $4.00 can Beer $6.00 mix drinks in the Otter lounge. A Nice Holiday Inn at Resort Prices that about sums it up. I expected better of a Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends