“Kind of isolated, but overall a good hotel”

Huntsville Marriott at the Space & Rocket Center
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Kind of isolated, but overall a good hotel”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here one night. I chose this hotel because it had a free airport shuttle and was right next to the US Space & Rocket Center, which was the main thing I wanted to visit during my short stay. This hotel was a little more expensive than some other hotels, but you save money by not having to pay round trip taxi fare to and from the airport, like you would for the downtown hotels, so your price ends up being less than those hotels.

Since it is not downtown the hotel is quite isolated, with the only thing you can walk to being the US Space and Rocket Center. If you want to go to anything else and don't have a car you will need to call a taxi. There is a tourist shuttle during the summer months, but I wasn't there then. There is also a bus system, but it doesn't run on the weekends. I felt stranded at the hotel and that was depressing. I wanted to check out Big Spring Park and the downtown area, so I called a taxi for that. It wasn't expensive though, only like $10 each way.

I was given a room on the top floor, the concierge floor. The hotel's website says with these rooms you get a bathrobe (there was none in the room), a fridge (there was none in the room), and complimentary bottled water (there was none in the room), so that was misleading. Also you are supposed to have access to the concierge lounge on the 5th floor where you get complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. Unfortunately it is closed weekends, so I had to pay the hotel's expensive prices for non-alcoholic drinks, including $3.00 for a tiny bottle of water in their gift shop.

To top things off, after their "final bill" slid under my door said one price for my stay, my credit card company's website the next day showed they had overcharged me more than $50. A call to the hotel said they did this on purpose(!) in case I used extra stuff. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this has never been done. I don't appreciate this and it doesn't sound legal, charging someone for services they didn't receive. If you have my credit card number on file then you can charge it if I actually use extra things, but don't overcharge me $50 for something I didn't even do. They said on the phone they get a lot of complaints about this practice. Maybe you should stop doing it then? The charge was reversed 3 days later.

I had a nice view of the US Space and Rocket Center and the hotel pool. I didn't use the hotel's restaurants, so I can't comment on those. The thermostat is quite confusing, as others have mentioned. There a note by it saying to set it 3 degrees higher in heat and 3 degrees lower in cooling. I could never get the temp exactly right. The bed was comfy. I didn't like the bed pillows though, and used one of the square kind on the bed instead. The bathroom is the kind where the actual bathroom only has the toilet and bath/shower, while the sink and vanity are located outside of it. The closet had a safe, ironing board, and iron. The TV was big and had a lot of channels. The shower curtain was just a cheap shower liner, and yellowed with age. Marriott can do better than that.

To get picked up by the airport shuttle call right when you land, since it takes the driver about 15 minutes to get there. By the time you get your bags he should be almost there. To get to the airport you have to give your name the night before and the time you want to leave, actually the "hour" since it only leaves every hour on the hour. My flight didn't leave until 8am but I had to take the 6am shuttle, thus missing breakfast there at the hotel that started at 6am. I would have preferred to leave at 6:30 so I could grab a quick bite to eat.

There are drink and ice machines on every floor next to the elevators, get your drinks there to save money. The gift shop charges $3.00 for a 16oz bottle of water. You can get a 20oz bottle of water for $1.50 in the drink machines. For the person who said they couldn't find the snack machine, it is in the arcade next to the pool. Also cheaper prices for those snacks than the ones in the gift shop. The staff was all friendly, no complaints there. Checking in was frustrating though, as only one person was checking people in and there was a large group ahead of me with a complicated registration involving tickets that had to be searched for in the backroom. I didn't use the wi-fi, but they shouldn't charge for it in this day and age when it's free in so many other hotels. Breakfast should be free too, as that is getting to be expected in hotels and I usually stay somewhere with free breakfast.

Overall you will have to weigh whether you want a free airport shuttle, want to be isolated, want to pay for breakfast, and want to be next to the US Space and Rocket Center OR if you want to be downtown, get a free breakfast at those hotels, and want to pay taxi fare to and from the airport and to and from the US Space and Rocket Center. It's up to you and which you prefer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing the US Space & Rocket Center.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank World_Traveler_6216

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed here even though it was a little above our usual price range, because our first choice property was full. The room was large and well appointed. We were pretty exhausted after a long day of driving and the kingsize bed was one of the most comfortable ever.
As others have noted, the thermostat was tricky. We had an overall enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne D
Helena, Al
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Our room keys weren't working so hot so a quick visit to the hotel lobby resulted in our card reader room door being fixed quickly by a technician. Once in , we noticed the spaciousness of the room (which had been pleasingly updated since we had been there years ago). We thoroughly luxuriated in the wonderful bed linens and comfy King size bed...we will have to order the big pillows for our bed at home! Loved the lamps in the rooms which left the room well lit for us to read. Wi-fi is in the lobby but coming to the rooms slowly. The staff was very friendly and helpful in assisting us with dinner plans Everything was spit spot perfect during our stay, after the brief hiccup we had in the beginning. Will look forward to coming back here in the future..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
VT
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The hotel lobby is great and the staff is very friendly!! Those are the good points. The rooms are old and out dated, including a thermostat that must be set 4 degrees lower or higher than your actual desired temperature. The old plastic shower curtains are not light transparent and make it difficult if you like to see what you are doing in the shower. If you are a Gold or Platinum status member do not expect to be put on the concierge floor, instead be prepared to be put on the normal noisy floors. The concierge area is very small and inadequate for the guest size. IN the morings there is a wait line to sit and eat. The parking lot is dark and has inadequate lighting. There is NO WiFi in the rooms. Instead you are provided a 2 foot conection cord. The beds are foam only with no support at all. For a business traveler who is a Platanium Elite memeber I was very disappointed. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank QCcutie
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Nice, fairly typical mid-range Marriott. Decent rooms, clean and a friendly helpful staff. A little updating would be welcome but all in all a nice property. Good location off the freeway but far enough back and in a setting which makes you feel somewhat secluded. Very convenient access to Redstone and the Space Center. Great view of the surrounding hills.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stay at this property several times a year and have watched it ebb and flow over the years. The rooms were renovated about a year ago but don't begin to compare to the swanky new Westin down the street. The bathrooms are tired and small and weren't very clean on our last visit. The card key readers on the old elevators conk out intermittently and the new gym features no windows and 3 out of 5 treadmills were not in working order. Breakfast buffet was delicious.

Overall at this price point, the Westin is much nicer and better located.

• Stayed December 2011
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I had to travel to Redstone Arsenal for an overnight trip and this was the closest 3/4-star hotel by the Post. Easy access from the airport, very straight forward. After the business was done (a half-hour meeting with an US Army customer), I had the rest of the day off and explored Huntsville. Went to the nearby shopping mall (I forgot the name), had a great meal at the steakhouse and had a quiet evening in the hotel. I swam in the outdoor pool the next morning (clean) and went to the rocket museum next door for some R&R.

The room was exactly what you expected in a contemporary Marriott; usual decor, comfortable bed and clean equipment. Although the hotel is a bit old (the elevators were dead giveaways), the rooms and common areas are more or less up-to-date.

A mixture of hotel guests at this hotel; families travelling on road trips, the odd convention/conference attendee, the odd business traveller, and yes, even two soccer teams en route to a tournament somewhere, which I can't remember.

Overall, a very good hotel for business at the Army Post, not so great for visiting downtown Huntsville. The restaurant is OK for breakfast and lunch; the dinner menu wasn't enticing at all.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business