“Still pretty good, even if its showing some wear”

Huntsville Marriott at the Space & Rocket Center
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
“Still pretty good, even if its showing some wear”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The Marriott at Tranquility Base is still a solid performer. I recently completed a recent 4 night stay with my husband and overall I would give the hotel a very good rating. Because my husband has stayed there quite a lot over the past year we were given a room on the concierge level. As other reviews have suggested, make sure you ask for a room away from the concierge lounge - the rooms beside and across from the lounge are quite noisy ( per my better half who has been stuck there before). The rooms themselves are good, not spectacular but comfortable, well appointed, and clean. There are two restaurants (I will post separate reviews) on site plus a bar/lounge so food is available until 10pm (the better half has worked late several times and clued me in). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only downside I can really report ( and my husband has encountered this several times) is that if you are a single business traveller and the hotel happens to be hosting a larger convention group ( or a couple mid-size groups) the staff and facilities can become overwhelmed and service/quality can suffer.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Flknitchik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I recently stayed for a small convention. The Marriott was a pleasant place. The service was good. The rooms were clean and beds were good. Nice quiet nights to sleep. The bathrooms are where the age of the hotel shows. The sink area has been remodeled but the tile in the bathtub/shower area was pink (likely from the 1960's???) and had staining in areas around the soap tray. The only other problem that I had was the fan for the HVAC blow right at the work desk and work area where I was catching up on my work with laptop computer. I had to put a light jacket on to protect me from the draft. The onsite steak restaurant was very good. It is conveniently located right next to the US Space & Rocket Center for any tourists looking for a place near that facility. Overall a nice place, but it is not the top notch Marriott that one might expect. The trees were blooming out in front which were pretty but they did not have much aroma - see photos.

Edgewater Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014

There isn't much to brag about in Alabama, but this hotel provided a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere for a business travel week in the area. Hotel is on the older side...but most things are old in Alabama. Location is not near food, but nearby interstate 72 has lots of options a few miles away. Grounds of hotel are well maintained and view of the Space and Rocket Center is worth the trip over to visit. Located about a 1/4 away from the Marriott. As a platinum elite, I had a room on the conceirge level which had a nice view of the Space and Rocket Center. No complaints about cleanliness or rooms overall. The conceirge breakfast could have used more options. At times not all the selections were out first thing in the morning including hot tea and fresh fruit. More breakfast options and more to-go options would have made this service a lot better. Fitness Center was adequate and had a good amount of cardio machines and free weights. Staff seemed helpful any time I had a question or concern as well. Would stay here again if ever near the area, but not likely to as Alabama has little to offer other than a pass through state!

Room Tip: Unless you're up at 6am, if you're on the conceirge level ask for a room away from the conce...
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Unfortunately my co-worker rented the shared vehicle in her name so I had limited access to it. The hotel is not located within walking distance of any food so you're stuck with their poor excuse of food services. I arrived on a Sunday evening and the restaurant was closed but apparently the cook was available for room service. I didn't want to sit in my room so I asked if I could order room service items (restaurant menu) from the bar. Per the bartender, it'll take an hour to get food from the cook to the bar where it'll take 20mins or so to get in your room. So I ate in my room. The next day we weren't to start until noon so I got downstairs to order lunch around 10:45. The restaurant was closed and nobody was in the bar area. Went to the front desk twice and someone finally showed up at 11:15 and they were in no hurry to take my order. I said forget it.

Sadly the last day of my stay, 19 March, I decided I was a glutton for punishment and decided to try the bar one last time as we weren't set to depart until noon. Went to the bar, was greeted and I stated I would like to place an order. Now keep in mind there's no visible menus. The attendant with a dark colored bob made the rude gesture and sound that meant what do you want. I said I would like to order but I need a menu. She pulls it from the side and turns it around and presented it like I was dense. At that moment I was done.

Besides the terrible service, for the most part the rooms are clean. They are old with parts of the room having been updated. I'm 5'9 and the vanity came to two inches above my knees. The drainage of the tub was horrible, good 3 inches of water while showering.

I personally won't be staying here again. And certainly wouldn't suggest staying here if you have to rely on their amenities.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
2 Thank travelgal1022
Daniel L, General Manager at Huntsville Marriott at the Space & Rocket Center, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property, unfortunately we didn't deliver the experience you were expecting ,for that I'm truly sorry. Please if you could give me a call, I would greatly appreciate, the opportunity to get to the bottom of you unexceptional service. Our staff service scores are usually were we excel. Again thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Daniel LaBoudiere
256.830.2222 ex6118
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

If you are traveling to visit the US Space and Rocket Center, then this is the place to stay! The museum is right next door and you can walk over through the parking lot. The hotel is not new - at least not the two story building they call the cabanas - but the rooms were large and clean and had balconies. Some things had been updated but some had not - like the pink tile in the bathroom. The bathroom could use a ceiling vent to make it not so stuffy while showering. I hated the pillows but I guess that is a personal preference. Check-in was the only time we actually interacted with the staff and they were friendly. While I usually prefer newer hotels, I would stay here again due to it location and the size of the rooms.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Staff was friendly. Rooms were super clean. Very impressed. Checked in very fast. Room was in order and very clean. All the common areas were attended to nicely and kept spotless. The cleaning people at this hotel deserve a raise! Absolutely A+++

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Legendary50
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had to come in to Huntsville for business and booked a night at the Marriott. When I arrived, I was warmly greeted by Janet at the front desk. Janet was great! She was very helpful, and answered all of my questions, even tried helping me find another hotel, as they were booked if I had needed to add nights...
I went to dinner at the Season's restaurant in the hotel. Annah was great! She was friendly, and helpful, and the food was delicious! Breakfast was also incredibly good.. Sonya served me, and was really friendly!
I will be staying here again!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business