“A delightful surprise”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Irondale
Bayville
“A delightful surprise”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had to make last minute reservations for a hotel due to a death in the family. This Holiday Inn Express was close to my destination. I was not expecting much more than a roof over my head for my one night stay, but this hotel provided so much more than that. The front desk staff was incredible - from printing out directions for me, to warm smiles and friendly conversation. The room was recently rennovated, and was extremely quiet and comfortable. Despite my early morning departure, I was able to enjoy the free breakfast, served in a very comfortable lounge on the first floor. Muffins, biscuits, eggs, bacon, juice, coffee and more. Thanks for making my 24 hours in Alabama so enjoyable!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank fm11709
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate you Our Guest and strive to make this hotel the best one in the city especially for you. We are currently undergoing renovation, but are excited of the potential end result. Again thank you for your time and we hope to see you in our hotel again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
long beach
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I walked in and got a room late in the afternoon. The front desk people were very nice and helpful. After being in my room and being so exhausted from traveling 3 thousand miles I needed to rest. So I flipped on the tv and laid down to rest. I awoke to a woman claiming to be there because she thought it was a checked out room standing over me. I was trying to be understanding, and said no I am not checking out. She then left and I thought nothing of it. The next day housekeeping came in about 9-11 am and did thier job. I then sat down to relax for the day, I was sitting on the bed eating my dinner around 5-6pm when my door again is opened and and there stands another woman and made the same excuse that she was housekeeping and did I get serviced yet. At this point, I am beginning to wonder, this continued to happen over the next few days that I was there, They always had the excuse of Oh sorry, thought this was empty, Oh sorry need anything.. They would walk in while I am getting dressed. I felt so scared and afraid. I was 3, 000 miles away from home, in a state i never been before, and there were people walking in on me. It was awful. I have been trying to get ahold of the manager ever since. However he is in "training" and so I talked to corporate, they made excuses as to why these woman needed to get in my room., and why didnt I put the security lock on, Which I had done a few times and they still tried to get in. I honestly think that these people thought that no one would be in the room during the late to early afternoon and evening that they were going in there to search for items, and each time I had been in there. I will never go back there ever. I will also refer my friends to stay some where other than this hotel. I lived in fear for 5 days of not knowing what to expect. and each time I left the room there were these woman lurking somewhere in the hotel. I felt afraid even with the security lock on. I dont think any one should stay at this place. I will def. stop being a loyal customer of the holiday inn express and maybe mov my business to The Hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jali36
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We used this hotel to visit EWTN and the Shrine in Hanceville. The hotel itself is older and we were promised a refrigerator and microwave in EVERY room. Neither of our rooms had either. Housekeeping did make up the rooms, but did not restock towels, coffee, shampoo/soap or paper supplies. Pool (VERY small!!) in front of hotel as part of parking lot. Breakfast buffet was disgusting. The area was not clean. The eggs and bacon were old/cold. Maybe reheated in microwave. The cinnamon rolls were stale. Very limited options for other food in area of the hotel. There is a Sam's Club right next door though. ANd the Whistle Stop Cafe is not far. We will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorldTravelLover99
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This is by far the worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in. The front desk clerk was very unprofessional. This location advertises hot coffee 24 hrs. The coffee was made that morning and we arrived at 5:30pm. Desk clerk was unaware if they even had coffee prepared, needless to say the coffee was not hot. We get to the room, large stains on the carpet, curtains smelled of dust, air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear television. We finally turned off the ac unit and it smelled of burnt hair. I have never stayed in a hotel/motel where you can hear the guest in the next room use the restroom as you could there. The parking lot was extremely dark. Contacted Holiday Inn and Gen Mgr of this location was to contact me, didn't happen. It is very over priced for what they offer. We were so upset with the room we let at 5:00am.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Menard81
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. My name is Dave Mastroni and I am the new General Manager here at the property. We obviously could have done much better with your stay and will always look to improve the service when we fail to exceed guest expectations. I have addressed the issues with the appropriate departments and team members and feel confident the issues in regard to your stay have been resolved. If we can ever be of service when you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

At Your Service,

Dave Mastroni
Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We were on our last leg of our trip and happened to stumble upon this hotel while trying to find another one. I am glad we did! It had to queen beds, the room was clean, the pool was nice, the breakfast was superb, and the staff were super nice. I would definately make a point of staying here again if ever in the region. As a walk-in, they gave a great price for the room and the check-in lady was awesome (wish I could remember her name).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We arrived in the evening after making a reservation over the phone earlier the same day. My family and I were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. After checking in, we entered our room only to find the air on full blast, likely done in order to cover up the overpowering smell of air freshener masking a pungent cigarette smoke odor. The room did not look clean and the pillows smelled awful. We were on a nonsmoking floor specifically because I suffer from allergic reactions to smoke and my family member from chronic asthma. We requested another room, and the front desk staff was willing to try to assist us by recommending another hotel or offering two separate rooms, as no other rooms with two separate beds were available. Though these rooms were much better, we were greeted by a bug and a creaky bed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Southern Hospitality at it's best !!!!! We came for the Talladega races and being right on I-20 we had perfect access to the track. What struck us though was the staff, James and Ashley and all were just super !!! These folks even kept the breakfast bar open 'till noon the Saturday the races were rained out !!! Nice to munch a cinnamon roll while watching it rain!!
Rooms were clean, comfortable, and fully functional in every way. Very clean grounds and sufficient parking too. All in all a pleasant experience !! Thanks guys and gals, we'll be back again !!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FASTLANEJC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#45 of 80 in Birmingham
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!