“Decent Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Irondale
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Not really a whole lot to review here. It's an average HIE with nothing really bad but not really outstanding either. The rooms were fairly well maintained, but the cleaning was a bit spotty. The staff was friendly enough; you couldn't complain about them. The location is convenient if you have business on the east side of town. It was fairly quiet at night too, being set back from the main road some. The entrance is a bit tricky to spot from the main road, or at least it was for me, as it was storming when I drove in. Sorry the review isn't more detailed, but if you've stayed in many Holiday Inn Expresses (as I have on business), there's just not a whole lot that stands out about this particular one. It's not the best you'll stay in, but not the worst either.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The title says it all. The hotel was located close to the interstate we were travelling but the facilities were in dire need of rennovation, which was under way. The staff was spectacular and the free breakfast hit the spot and was beyond a simple continential breakfast. Once the rennovation is complete, this will be a great place to stay for the price!.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This place is unbelievably bad and I don't know how they keep their franchise with Holiday Inn. Our troubles began right at check-in. We were given keycards that didn't open the door to the room, so we had to take our luggage cart back down to the front desk to get operating cards. By the way, only one elevator was working. We requested a non-smoking room but the smoking rooms are randomly located on the same floor and next door to non-smoking rooms. Obviously we could smell cigarette smoke on our floor.

The tv and internet would randomly go off and finally the internet connection quit. We spent a long time on the phone with tech service to fix it (front desk didn't care). The bathroom had dirty walls--yuck! Only one small wastebasket for the room plus bathroom. There was no orange juice for breakfast (this was early, about 7:30am, so it's not like they ran out near 10 am) and the food selection was very poor.

The most dangerous thing we found was an improperly installed tub/shower faucet. When we turned it on and *dialed* to reach a comfortable temperature it went to hot water first, then the cooler water. This is opposite of proper installation. Someone could be burned by this!

By far the worst Holiday Inn Express we have ever stayed in, and is right up there on our all-time worst list over nearly 50 years of travel. Avoid!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank purselady1
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had to make last minute reservations for a hotel due to a death in the family. This Holiday Inn Express was close to my destination. I was not expecting much more than a roof over my head for my one night stay, but this hotel provided so much more than that. The front desk staff was incredible - from printing out directions for me, to warm smiles and friendly conversation. The room was recently rennovated, and was extremely quiet and comfortable. Despite my early morning departure, I was able to enjoy the free breakfast, served in a very comfortable lounge on the first floor. Muffins, biscuits, eggs, bacon, juice, coffee and more. Thanks for making my 24 hours in Alabama so enjoyable!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fm11709
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate you Our Guest and strive to make this hotel the best one in the city especially for you. We are currently undergoing renovation, but are excited of the potential end result. Again thank you for your time and we hope to see you in our hotel again

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I walked in and got a room late in the afternoon. The front desk people were very nice and helpful. After being in my room and being so exhausted from traveling 3 thousand miles I needed to rest. So I flipped on the tv and laid down to rest. I awoke to a woman claiming to be there because she thought it was a checked out room standing over me. I was trying to be understanding, and said no I am not checking out. She then left and I thought nothing of it. The next day housekeeping came in about 9-11 am and did thier job. I then sat down to relax for the day, I was sitting on the bed eating my dinner around 5-6pm when my door again is opened and and there stands another woman and made the same excuse that she was housekeeping and did I get serviced yet. At this point, I am beginning to wonder, this continued to happen over the next few days that I was there, They always had the excuse of Oh sorry, thought this was empty, Oh sorry need anything.. They would walk in while I am getting dressed. I felt so scared and afraid. I was 3, 000 miles away from home, in a state i never been before, and there were people walking in on me. It was awful. I have been trying to get ahold of the manager ever since. However he is in "training" and so I talked to corporate, they made excuses as to why these woman needed to get in my room., and why didnt I put the security lock on, Which I had done a few times and they still tried to get in. I honestly think that these people thought that no one would be in the room during the late to early afternoon and evening that they were going in there to search for items, and each time I had been in there. I will never go back there ever. I will also refer my friends to stay some where other than this hotel. I lived in fear for 5 days of not knowing what to expect. and each time I left the room there were these woman lurking somewhere in the hotel. I felt afraid even with the security lock on. I dont think any one should stay at this place. I will def. stop being a loyal customer of the holiday inn express and maybe mov my business to The Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Jali36
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We used this hotel to visit EWTN and the Shrine in Hanceville. The hotel itself is older and we were promised a refrigerator and microwave in EVERY room. Neither of our rooms had either. Housekeeping did make up the rooms, but did not restock towels, coffee, shampoo/soap or paper supplies. Pool (VERY small!!) in front of hotel as part of parking lot. Breakfast buffet was disgusting. The area was not clean. The eggs and bacon were old/cold. Maybe reheated in microwave. The cinnamon rolls were stale. Very limited options for other food in area of the hotel. There is a Sam's Club right next door though. ANd the Whistle Stop Cafe is not far. We will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WorldTravelLover99
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This is by far the worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in. The front desk clerk was very unprofessional. This location advertises hot coffee 24 hrs. The coffee was made that morning and we arrived at 5:30pm. Desk clerk was unaware if they even had coffee prepared, needless to say the coffee was not hot. We get to the room, large stains on the carpet, curtains smelled of dust, air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear television. We finally turned off the ac unit and it smelled of burnt hair. I have never stayed in a hotel/motel where you can hear the guest in the next room use the restroom as you could there. The parking lot was extremely dark. Contacted Holiday Inn and Gen Mgr of this location was to contact me, didn't happen. It is very over priced for what they offer. We were so upset with the room we let at 5:00am.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Menard81
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. My name is Dave Mastroni and I am the new General Manager here at the property. We obviously could have done much better with your stay and will always look to improve the service when we fail to exceed guest expectations. I have addressed the issues with the appropriate departments and team members and feel confident the issues in regard to your stay have been resolved. If we can ever be of service when you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

At Your Service,

Dave Mastroni

Also consider these accommodations in or near Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#47 of 80 in Birmingham
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!