“If you loved Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe...”

Irondale Cafe - Original Whistle Stop
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Irondale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 1 June 2014

you must have lunch here! This is the original cafe that was owned by Fannie Flagg's aunt, and the story was based on her memories growing up here. The food was excellent and the memorabilia was priceless for this fan of the book and movie! If you are traveling near Birmingham, I highly recommend a side trip to this quaint little town and the lovely cafe!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had fried chicken, okra, creamed corn, green beans, slaw, yeast rolls and fried green tomatoes. Each dish was fantastic. The chicken fried steak was done in a different style than I am used to, so that was my only negative experience. It tasted great though, just not the crispy steak and white gravy that I prefer. Overall it was an amazing meal with great service.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

On a driving vacation with a friend, whose favorite movie/book is Fried Green Tomatoes, we made a detour to visit this wonderful, little cafeteria style café. The food was good, abundant portions (both of us had carry outs). A must visit.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

While visiting family in the Birmingham area, they took us out to eat at the Irondale Cafe. I was thrilled when I learned that it's the very cafe and location that one of my most favorite books is based on - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fanny Flagg. The service was wonderful,; the setting diner/cafe like; and the food was home style good. I had Greek style chicken, fried green tomatoes, pecan chocolate pie, and more. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great staff, excellent meat and three with so many choices. Best fried chicken and fried green tomatoes. YUM! This is cafeteria style but one of the best. Besides the chicken and tomatoes, I had okra and green tomato fritters, collards and cornbread....oh my gosh it was all so wonderful. They also bring a remoulade for the fried green tomatoes. Huge homemade rolls, or biscuits instead of cornbread. I just can't say enough about the food. It really was impressive. This is also known as the Irondale Cafe.