“Train and Lunch!”

Train Watching Platform
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After we finished eating our lunch across the street from the platform, I happened to hear a train in the distance. Couldn't believe our luck. What a nice little area of Irondale.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have to admit when I first arrived at the platform and saw people watching for trains I thought they were wasting their time. Within a few minutes I was hooked and found the slow process of "train building" interesting. Plan to spend at least a few minutes looking at trains before or after eating at Irondale Café.

1  Thank nursemurphy13
Reviewed 13 September 2013

If you like Norfolk Southern action, you'll love the Irondale train watching platform. There is actually two platforms; one on each side of the tracks. Unfortunately, the side with the caboose is not covered but the north side platform has a roof. The area is safe as the Irondale police department is across the street so staying out at night is not a problem. Both of the Amtrak passenger trains can be seen here in daylight if they are running on time. Power from Norfolk Southern, Kansas City Southern, and Union Pacific are seen frequently but any railroad's power can be seen here. Expect around 40-50 trains a day. The biggest negative would be a lack of a public bathroom but many restaurants offer one a short drive away on US 78. Check it out if you are in the Birmingham area.

2  Thank SBDFAN