“Not worth the money”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Leeds
Chicago, Illinois
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed in the local Days Inn last time and thought maybe this hotel would offer a little nicer accommodation. For the difference in cost, we found several smaller things added up to disappointment.

1) Breakfast - was just ok. Eggs looked like pre-frozen patties (yes, patties) someone put in a microwave or steamer. Waffle machine was decent. Pastries were average. Coffee was pretty good. Holiday Inn has been my long time favorite for breakfast buffet's and this didn't even come close.

2) King room was more $$ so we went for a queen room with two beds (odd right?). The first two nights we stayed in one bed that was so saggy we felt like we were going to roll out of the bed. On the third, we switched to the other queen and felt it was in better shape.

3) Shower went back and forth between hot and super cold. Next day my husband mentioned it happened again, then I got in the shower and got it yet again. I called and asked them if they knew of the issue, which they did not. Offered to look at it the next day.

4) Wifi went out. Called the front desk again. They had no idea it was out. Was able to dig out a cable and plug into the wall, which was working.

5) AC unit has dials for low / high cool / heat etc with a dial for intensity of 1-9. We are on our last day and have tried all sort of combos and either feel we are frying or freezing. Plus it is odd and will sometimes turn on for maybe 10 seconds at a time. Maybe move to the modern age and get a thermostat?

6) Staff were friendly when we did talk to them. When I did ask them about misc things etc they were prompt and attentive.

7) Pool and hot tub were very nice. Pool area was extremely hot due to the hot tub, but opening the door helped.

The hotel itself feels more upscale with the paint job, art and nicer decor, but they are falling behind on the fundamentals that made the hotel nicer to start with. I can now see why people spring for the Hampton or just go to the Days Inn. I don't plan on coming back here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Saw a special on tv with best western ceo and the chains commitment to cleanliness. We thought we would try it out. The hotel was only 6 years old so it had a newness feel. The rooms were clean ans we got a good deal directly from the bw site. This was a 5 star until breakfast. It was a full breakfast ((waffles eggs, sausage). However the food was cold and not good. Hopefully it was a bad day.

• Stayed June 2012
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

We stay here at least twice a year with our 10-lb. dog. We ask for the same room each time - it is roomy, clean and best of all - not a bit of smoke odor. The beds are so comfortable, we usually sleep late (curtains keep room dark as night). I do wish they'd keep breakfast out past 9 a.m.! I recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank scobryan57
Myrtle Beach, Sc
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Hotel has warm friendly and helpful staff. The hot tub and pool was nice, but the room seemed too hot. The hotel was not easy to find as there was no sign at the highway entrence to tell you that the hotel was set back behind some restaurants. Other than these it was an enjoyable stay

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank junglybill
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed one night had the whirlpool suite , everything was lovely and comfortable, fresh coffee all the time. The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was good too. I would highly recommend this hotel and am looking forward to going there again . I give this hotel an A+++++++++++++!!!!! thank you to the staff at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bass Hotel & Suites

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angie T
Jackson, La
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed for one night and had everything we needed. The front desk greeted us and made us feel welcome. The room was comfortable with all the amenities we required. The breakfast had many choices from cereal to hot foods including make your own waffles. The hotel is convenient to several restaurants. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HappyRetiree023
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 October 2011

When I hear the name "Best Western" I tend to think old, run down ect, but this was a great hotel! We were traveling and wanted to stop halfway to our destination which was Leeds, AL. There are only 5 hotels I could find in Leeds. After reading the reviews I picked this one because It was right off I-20 and it had good reviews! I was not disappointed!!!! The room was updated. Carpet was in great shape. Furniture was cute and in perfect condition. The towels were nice and thick. The bed was awesome!! The breakfast bar was good ie fruit, eggs, sausage patties, waffles, cereal, pastries, biscuits plus coffee, milk and juice choices. Last but not least the hotel as a whole was very clean. I could not find anything that I can complain about. I most definitely will stay here again!! The price was great too!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Destinbeaches
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
#2 of 5 in Pell City
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Trussville
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast

Been to Best Western Plus Bass Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!