“Awesome”

Ranked #4 of 185 Restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Food is great, service great, and basically a place fit to eat at everyday. I recommend the meatloaf. It was excellent .

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been there many times!I love the food, the service and the darling building! but a few month ago I took my two daughter's there for a girls day out!! (it was their first time to eat there) They loved the surprise and the food...ONLY one problem... NOW I have to take the son-in-laws, grandchildren, and my husband!! they are all coming into town this weekend and the first thing was "Mom can we all go to Main Street Cafe" for lunch!! it is only 70 miles away! LOL I am already trying to decide what I am going to eat!!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is a popular lunch spot (in fact they are only open for lunch), with sort of a "ladies tea room" feel (quiches, soup and salad, chicken and tuna salads, etc.) but it's good.

The restaurant has been there 12+ years and it would be nice to have the interior updated a little bit. I've probably eaten there 6 times and the service is always good, the food just fine, and the prices reasonable. I just prefer a more modern menu (maybe ahi tuna for an appetizer, or an ahi salad) or just change the menu every now and then and I think this restaurant would benefit from an interior "face lift."

If you want to support a local restaurant (and yes the building was the city of Madison's third town hall and housed two jail cells, which are IN this building, and yes, it's located right by railroad tracks), especially for a fairly light "southern-ish" lunch, try Main Street Cafe. I hope you enjoy it!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a cute, small restaurant that used to be an old jail a long time ago, you can even get seated in one of the old jail cells! It's pretty cool. They have great food and fantastic service. I've been here several times and have always had a pleasant experience. The only drawback is that its located right next to railroad tracks so when a train is passing by it can get a bit loud.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

My wife & I thoroughly enjoyed our lunches. I had the Reuben sandwich with fries and my wife had the Stuffed Pork Loin. Both meals came out of the kitchen hot and in about 10 minutes after we had placed our order with the very friendly and helpful waitress. The portions were very large so dessert was out of the question. We sat outside and enjoyed watching folks stroll by, but were a little disappointed that no train came by. Since the tracks are a stone's throw away from the restaurant, that must be some kind of wild experience.

This is definitely going on our "Go There Again" list.