“Best breakfast anywhere--period!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Magnolia Springs
Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast
Black, Missouri
“Best breakfast anywhere--period!”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I really don't know where ti start in my praise of this great bed and breakfast establishment. We have just returned from our second stay at Magnolia Springs. Sometimes I find that things are not quite as good the second time, but that is not the case here. Everything was just as good this time as the last--maybe even a little better, if that's possible. David and Eric are the perfect hosts and they make sure that your stay is also perfect. You can't believe how wonderful this place is without going there and sharing in the scenery, the Southern hospitality, the food and the beautiful house. Did I mention food? Well, David's breakfasts are the best. You won't have to worry about finding a place for lunch because after David's breakfast you won't be hungry until supper. My wife and I have traveled a lot and stayed many places including the Grand Hotel which is just down the road form Magnolia Springs, but I believe that Magnolia Springs B&B is the best place we have ever stayed. Thank you, David and Eric.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 12 April 2013

What a beautiful setting! We traveled from CA out to Alabama to visit our daughter at UA and stayed here two nights. Everything was perfect; yummy breakfast, comfy beds, cookies out every night. The area of Magnolia Springs and this B&B reflected the true Southern experience we were hoping for. During the day try the nature boat tour with Sail Away Charters near Orange Beach. A fantastic tour of the bayou and learning about harvesting oysters, softshell crab, and shrimp. And the dolphins all around were so fun!

Room Tip: For three people the Cowen room was perfect
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at this B&B. Upon arrival, our host David let us choose between two rooms of the same category since we were the only ones staying there at the time. The service was perfect, and our hosts recommended very good restaurants nearby to us. They even let us take their beach chairs to the beach and supplied us with sunscreen. David and Eric have been very thoughtful all through our stay. You could tell they make a point of everything being in order, neat and clean, which was sometimes a little too much for our liking; like making up the bed even twice a day, or putting up the bottle of orange juice right after my husband had used it and it had only been sitting on the table for 1 minute (so no danger of it going bad right there). There were a lot of notes in our room saying "please do this" and "please don't do that" which gave us the impression that either the owners were scared of getting sued; or that maybe previous guests had acted rather strangely while staying there. Also, even more notes informed us that we were able to buy almost anything in the B&B from soap to garden pottery. It would have been less obtrusive if the owners had just told us in person about us being able to purchase the divers goods around the house.
The food was good, I would have wished for some more variety though. Two days grits with garlic salt in a row wasn't exactly my cup of tea and since after the first time we weren't asked how we liked everything (only were asked if we were done) there was no chance of telling David politely that i didn't care too much for grits.
Our room was nice. I wouldn't recommend it to someone prone to depression though, because all the walls are made of dark wood. Unfortunately, on our first morning there, the neighbors dog started howling like mad at 7am and we were unable to sleep any longer.
All in all, if you're into old houses lovingly made up, Magnolia Springs is for you. The hosts are welcoming and friendly, and they are always around if you have a question. The B&B is located close to the beaches and a huge outlet center, and the neighborhood is just stunningly beautiful if you want to go for a walk.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
breakfastboy, Owner at Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
We are taking steps to brighten rooms with colors & lighting in the 1898 all natural-wood structure. Hash-Brown Casserole is now offered as an alternative to grits.
To rectify some concerns would prove difficult and would actually lessen the guests' experience. Guests have expectations of being pampered with daily maid service, everything clean and in place.

We strive to anticipate guests' needs and avoid them having to ask. Thank you for submitting your review.
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

It's perfect. The owners put so much detail into this house! They have their own branded robes, shampoo, conditioner , bath crystals, soap & laundry bags ect. The finishes touches are truly exceptional.

The rooms are massive, comfortable and decorated with taste. The house itself is the most beautiful house in Magnolia Springs. The streets, piers, gardens and houses are spectacular.

Don't forget this house is a block away from the river with access to a public pier and a neighbors pier. Beautiful views of the river.

A restaurant is only a couple of yards away to walk and have supper. The restaurant promptly informed me nobody can compete with my B&B's breakfast. They were right. 3 courses of perfection.

Then there's crystal white beaches 9miles away at Gulf Shores.

In short- rivers, beaches, trees & good food. It has it all. A hidden gem.

I call it the Hampton's of the South

• Stayed March 2013
D'Iberville
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Anytime at Magnolia Springs is wonderful but in December it is especially magical ! You would have to see David and Eric's amazing Christmas tree to understand -I could stand for hours spellbound looking at the beautiful detailed Radko ornaments. Add that to the beautiful home ,delicious breakfasts ,pampering by David and Eric and the serene/peaceful setting of the town and you have the perfect get away- and they have any type beverage you could want in the guest refrigerator . My husband and I love to sit on the front porch and read/talk/sip our tea/coffee and pulling ourselves away from that is very difficult!! And when I was out for my morning run -thru the beautiful roads of Magnolia Springs -I even saw Santa Claus and his Mrs !! Really I did -they had just had breakfast at the town square with some lucky children !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
csg
Reviewed 19 November 2012

the very definition of southern charm & genteel manner. easy 2 find, yet off the beaten path. wonderful innkeepers; this was a surprise for my wife & they kept up the ruse perfectly. a happy anniversary banner showed up in our room upon return from dinner, high threadcount linens, tasty, healthy breakfast. we had an unplanned-for early morning departure, & david prepped coffee, fruit, muffins, & breakfast bars 2 go!
we'll be back, but sadly not soon enough!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Astoria, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I grew up in the South, living in Alabama for several years and attending college in the state. Of course I come back at least once or twice a year to visit family and friends. Last Christmas my partner and I were headed down for the holidays and decided to stay in a hotel rather than the already full family home. But, it was the holidays and a hotel felt so impersonal.

So, we did some digging and found the Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast. This was just about 15 minutes down the road from my family. Neither of us had stayed at a bed and breakfast before but this one had great reviews, was in the perfect location and would seemingly have a better holiday vibe than a regular hotel.

The moment you turn off the main road to drive down into the town/village of Magnolia Springs it's as if you have gone right into the pages of picturesque story that would describe Alabama and the South in the best possible light. I swear I was looking for film crew members on the side of the road rigging the lighting and putting the finishing touches on the set of fake canopy oaks that line the street. My grandfathers house was just down the road and I had never seen this place. More than that all my years in the South I had never stumbled across such a beautiful scene.

When we pulled up to the house I was relived that it actually looked like the pictures on the website. We both work in advertising and know the power or retouching. But apparently the Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast didn't need any, it must have had it's own special power.

We parked the car in the small gravel lot and walked up to the back porch. Neither of us new the protocol for checking into a B&B and were a little nervous at the intimate interaction that would be required. We were accustom to the rather clinical grand lobby check in procedures at a hotel. But most of our fears melted when we were met at the door by David, he is the definition of southern charm and one of the owners of Magnolia Springs.

David gave us the grand tour of the awesome house with perfectly appointed rooms and it's wrap around front porch inviting you to "sit a spell". The interior had beautiful warm bead-board walls and heart-pine floors throughout. A giant Christmas tree sat in the middle of the great-room with ornaments and a decorative flare that would make Martha Stewart jealous. Our room had a four poster bed, claw foot tube and a flat screen TV that we could play Pandora through and access our Netflix account. Talk about a perfect combination.

We met the other owner and David's partner Eric at breakfast (which we will be getting to shortly). Eric is just as much a southern gentleman as David but in a more mellow country man sort of way. The two play off of each other perfectly. In the evenings when we got back from spending a long day with the family. Eric new just what we needed when we came dragging through the door, tired of smiling and being "on" all day. He would grab a bottle of wine and he would sit in the living room and chat about our day and we could really, actually unwind for the first time in a a long time.

Each morning the house would fill with the scent of coffee and home cooking. David and Eric were in the kitchen cooking up what I would soon learn were the best breakfast I would ever have. Each morning was three courses. David would explain each course before serving and besides the tast was the presentation. I was shocked that such a meal was actually included with your stay each morning. After breakfast we would sit on the front porch drinking coffee, looking out over the tree lined street and watching neighbors walk by with dogs or kids in tow. We had to tear ourselves away to actually get ready and drive the 15 minutes down the road to my families house.

When the holiday was over and it was time to leave, I was actually a little sad. Of course I would miss my family, but I was also going to miss the magically relaxing atmosphere that the Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast had created. I can't wait for a reason to have to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Foley
#1 of 9 in Foley
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms

Been to Magnolia Springs Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!