“What a let down.”

Cloudmont Ski Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Mentone
More attraction details
Owner description: This mountainous ski and golf resort is also home to a dude ranch.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I can't actually review the skiing conditions because they ran out of rental skis for children. The place opens at 9 am and we arrived at 10 am, after a 2 hour drive. We then waited in line for one hour to buy lift tickets. Once we finally got to the window, they told us they were out of children sizes. We had to leave with our 5 year old crying and asking why we couldn't ski. It wasn't just us, everyone else in line behind us had to leave too. I saw a lot of disappointed child (and some 12 year olds) leaving that place. It was very frustrating, they could have at least come out from and let everyone know that were out of child sizes. That just added insult to injury. Very unprofessional!!

24  Thank George H

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I've been skiing all over the USA, and this place is certainly no substitute for 99.9% of those places. However, my wife, 8 year old son, and I went here this afternoon and had an absolute BLAST! We loved it - not because the skiing was world class, but because it was 45 minutes from our home, a beautiful day, very small crowds (sorry, Mr. Cloudmont owner - I know you probably like to see a packed house), friendly staff, and great conditions. I figured we'd stay for an hour or so - but we skied every single minute from 1 to 4 (the length of the session we purchased) and had an absolute blast. If you are within an hour-and-a-half of this place, YOU MUST COME! It's great.

13  Thank HGPilot
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We just returned from a great weekend getaway to Cloudmont! The staff and facility are a great jewel hidden in North Alabama, and if you live in Alabama or the surrounding area, and would like a place to take your family for a first ski adventure, our family HIGHLY recommends Cloudmont! Our ski instructor was Paul, and he was truly gifted at both skiing and teaching. We stayed in the Chalet on-site, and while it is older and small, it was emacculate and an excellent value. This is an affordable weekend getaway, and our kids had a ball! If you're thinking about visiting, don't miss this place!

10  Thank Momand7
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My family visited Cloudmont while on a quick "try something you haven't experienced" break before Christmas. My three adult daughters and I took an hour long beginner ski lesson, included with our rental and lift fee, and then skied for another two hours during a Thursday night session. The conditions were perfect for us. No lift line (just a pull to the top), no crowd, not too cold, and a small enough hill that we never got in over our heads. The instructor, Joe, was easy to understand and corrected our mistakes individually. By the end of the night, we were feeling pretty confident. Some advanced skiers and snowboarders showed up and were fun to watch, but I would say that for the most part, this is a place that locals and southerners like us would use but is too small and weather dependent for serious skiers from outside the area. The staff was friendly and the night was inexpensive compared to other venues we could have chosen. All in all, a great time.

6  Thank Jayne J