“Nice Innkeeper, miserable night!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mentone
Mountain Laurel Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 Mentone B&B and Inns
Rocky Face, Georgia
“Nice Innkeeper, miserable night!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Yes, Sarah was very nice and this place has potential; especially if you like to hike. But we were smacked in the face with a terrible musty, moldy smell when we entered our room. The room also had a dingy look and feel. The bath was clean but needs redecorated.
The air conditioner has a loud intolerable vibrating noise and could not be used to air out the room. The inn was full for the night, so there was no swapping rooms. And, I did not ask because due to the damp rid and toy air filter, it was obvious the innkeeper knew of the problem in the room. Since all the rooms are in the same building; I'd think they may all smell like this one.
We spent a miserable night, feeling like we would wake up with mold growing on us and our things. We left before breakfast and left a note of the problems with the innkeeper. This could be a serious health problem for someone with allergies!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else unless you don't mind the musty smell!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lucy30740
Mentonebnb, Owner at Mountain Laurel Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for letting me know of problems with your stay as I have taken care of them I do wish, however, that you had let me know when you entered the room. I would have gladly put you in another room or I would have found you another place to stay in the area. I would not have expected you to stay and suffer. It is never my intention for guests to have an unpleasant stay. I am sorry that I missed the problem when preparing for your arrival. Prior to your stay, I had already arranged for a professional carpet cleaner to come in for the semi-annual cleaning after the Fourth of July weekend. This week I also blocked off some days to do some deep cleaning of the entire facilities. I am sorry that the complimentary stay did not indicate to you that I was truly sorry for your experience. As I said when I showed you your room, please do not hesitate if you need anything. I do wish you had notified me of your discomfort that evening or even in the morning so I could have apologized to you in person and not in a note or email. Again, I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay with me.
Sincerely, Sarah

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Birmingham
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a small, quaint bed and breakfast in a secluded area. We went Memorial Day weekend and the rhododendrons and mountain laurel were still in bloom. There was a trail that lead down to the creek and falls but the foliage was too thick to see much unless you climbed down the mountain, which we didn't. The guest house small but very charming, there's a fire pit and a grill, and another house used for a common area. The "common" house has plenty of books and movies and even a few snacks and drinks. Mentone is dry but you can take your own adult beverages. We stayed in the Deer room, coffee was served at 07:00, and there was even an umbrella left beside the door for us. Breakfast was served promptly at 08:30 and it consisted of fresh strawberries, egg soufflé with salsa, homemade bread, baked apple casserole with granola, fresh orange juice, and a fruit salad (watermelon, blueberries, cantaloupe, and kiwi). Sarah took good care of us and we hope to go back soon!

Room Tip: There are all nice but we stayed in the Deer Room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kjinright
So glad you enjoyed your stay Jinrights. I do hope you will return soon. The local blueberries are ripe for the picking and for breakfast :).
Sarah and Sammie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for just one night as part of a trip across the Southern States. We found it quite difficult to locate the B&B (not helped by traveling in the dark) and would strongly recommend following the directions on their website exactly as the B&B is impossible to locate using a GPS device! However, if you looking for a remote, woodland getaway then this is perfect.

Despite our late arrival, our host (Sarah) and her welcoming dog (Sammie) were indeed very welcoming and accommodating, providing us with suggested dining locations in the area. Our room (The Bridal room) was in a separate cabin to the main house (where breakfast is served) and the room was clean and tidy, if a little small. Décor-wise, I would not expect anything akin to a hotel, as this had more of a rustic / homely feel to it. There was also a separate, communal cabin with can be used as a lounge area and includes several sofas, a TV/DVD player and fridge.

Sarah brought us coffee to our cabin early in the morning and then shortly after we went to the main house for an amazing breakfast which included delicious French toast and cooked fruit. After an advance warning, Sarah was kind enough to make sure that my breakfast was vegetarian friendly. We had a nice chat over breakfast and we received several tips for exploring the local area and for our onward journey. I would recommend taking a walk through the woods to the view over the river, which is very beautiful.

Mentone really is a lovely town and I wish we could have spent more time here and the surrounding area. I can recommend both the Moonlight Bistro and the Wildflower café as excellent restaurants to dine at and both had vegetarian options available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haellostinside
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Nestled in the gorgeous mountain town of Mentone, Mountain Laurel Inn Bed and Breakfast has all of the comforts of home without any of the hassels that come with being there. From the delicious breakfast to the lovely, hospitable innkeeper Sarah, Mountain Laurel Inn is a great place for any person who wants to get away. The inn is tucked away on the outskirts of town- just within earshot of the Desoto Falls (which are quite active right now!). During the day, we hiked down the trail on Sarah's property that led right to the Falls. We brought our own bikes and took a great ride around the town with just enough hills to make for a fun challenge. While there is no "fitness center," nature provided all we needed for a fun, active time. In the afternoon, we read on the spacious porch and ate dinner at the Wildflower Cafe (another hidden gem). We highly recommend this cozy B&B for anyone who truly wants to take a breather from the business of everyday life.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Collegedale, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2013

It's a beautiful setting quite a bit off the beaten path. The rooms are not quite what I expected but they are nice. It's a short walk to Desoto Falls. Sarah is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. If you want a quiet, peaceful stay away from everything this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ozone Park, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My Hubby & I stayed here for 2 nights last year (fall). It's quaint, off the road, quiet (as long as you are the only Guests) The Cabin is divided into 4 rooms & when all are full, there is no privacy.It does have a certain charm, being in the woods. No view at all from Cabin, except woods. If you walk down a meandering path, however, you will enjoy a Great view! We had to stumble upon it ourselves. The room was dingy, dark, & VERY outdated with a small TV mounted on the wall (an old style TV) the management has a "Get Together, Game Cottage though, with a small Video Library (needs updating) & games & publications available for Guests to use. It also had a refridge, with juice & granola bars offered. Back to the Room, Needs updating & freshening up. Dull. The bathroom was ok but had a note taped to toilet, regarding method of flushing. Just get it Fixed!!!
The Breakfast was very nice & well cooked. Probably the best feature of the stay & the Innkeeper was very pleasant.
Economic conditions are tough & in order to compete with other lodging venues in the area, a lot of work needs to be done here. Too expensive for what is offered.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hippieprincess
Bastrop, Texas
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Such a beautiful setting. Wake up to the birds singing and the sound of the magnificent water fall. (Which is a must see) This is a true retreat to peace and quiet. The best breakfast around. And, yes, the French Toast is delish!! My husband just wanted to spend the day on the back porch reading. Mentone is a lovely town full of the most pleasant people. Walk around and enjoy all the little shops and restaurants. A must visit is J Spencer and Miracle Pottery. LOVE!!! We stayed in the "Deer Room".

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentone
Hampton Inn Fort Payne
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Payne
Econo Lodge Ft. Payne
Econo Lodge Ft. Payne
#6 of 7 in Fort Payne

Been to Mountain Laurel Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!