“Spectacular Location”

The Banyan Soul
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Anjuna
“Spectacular Location”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel was located at a very interior location at Anjuna. Initially we had to hunt this location with the help of GPS on our phones. I traveled here with my friends. The hotel was very small with limited number of rooms but had all the expected amenities. It was extremely reasonable in terms of the tariff. It is very close to the beach but isolated. Overall, the experience was very memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at the Banyan Soul with a friend during the first week of Nov, 2013. I read about it here on tripadvisor.in. After reading few reviews, I decided to book a room immediately as rooms in all the hotels were fast filling. Booking was hassle-free. After booking a room, I read few more reviews. Few days later I started having a second thought as many visitors were unhappy about its location. They had difficulty in finding the property during night. So I called the owner to inquire about the same. He assured me that I won't have any problem during this time of the year.
Finally we arrived there all excited to revisit Goa. We were relieved to see our room. It was spacious, like really spacious for a budget hotel. Everything was clean and well maintained. After settling down, I asked the staff to arrange a vehicle for us. It was delivered within 15 minutes. So, we took off to get ourselves familiar with places nearby. Curlies is 5 minutes away on a bike....Calangute max. 20 minutes.... On day 1, we had a little difficulty in locating the property while coming back at night. But with GPS in your phone it is very easy to locate German Bakery & the property is just next to the bakery. We came at 12, at 1, at 2:30 in night……no problem at all.
All we missed there - was a swimming pool and a bar. But, then you can’t expect everything from a budget hotel. They have a breakfast menu. It has decent number of food items to get you started for your adventures. You can also get food delivered from outside (I suppose only by some authorized places) in case you feel hungry during night or so….didn’t try once. The staff is friendly and helpful. On our last day, they arranged a taxi for us.
All in all, if you are visiting Goa with friends or family or as couples and looking for a peaceful, budget-friendly hotel, then you can go for The Banyan Soul!!

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Tucked under the shadow of a banyan tree, the Banyan Soul is pleasantly located in the rustic calm of Anjuna. Yet it's a stones throw from the action packed beach (5 min walking) and Flea Market (2 min walking).
The right sized rooms are neat with good air-conditioning and well equipped with cable TV and attached bathrooms which are clear and have 24hr hot shower. The veranda and the lawn provide the extra bit of space when you need it.
There is nice open air library under the banyan tree where you can do some quite reading. The front lawn has a couple of tables and a few deck chairs in case you wish to soak up the sun. The place looks quite nice during the evening cause of the lighting.
This was my third visit here and every time I discovered something new here, this time it was the art displayed to pay a tribute to the legendary street artist, Banksy.
They don’t have a large room service menu but that fits perfectly as it lets to explore some of the nice restaurants which within 5 minutes of walking distance. ( German bakery, Orangebloom, Martha’s, etc.,)
The staff is extremely prompt and courteous as is the owner who makes it a point to greet every guest. There is also the friendly house pets – Smokey, the cat and Doobey, the dog to keep you company.
They have an excellent tie up with a car/bike rental firm that provides great service at reasonable rates.
And yes there is free Wi-Fi, but you can choose not to use it, after all you are on a holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are same but the ones on the backside are a touch better because of the extra privacy and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SMAZ1979
Reviewed 2 December 2013

In Goa, where one spends very less time in the room, the only thing I look for is cleanliness and good staff. This place serves this the best! The rooms & bathroom are very clean and overall very nice (no toiletries provided though). The hotel is at a very secluded place. However, the landmark German bakery helps a lot to reach, also the bakery is the closest best option to eat!. Also, Anjuna beach & thus Curley's are just 5 mins away.
Though we did not eat in the hotel, so can't comment on food, but we ordered some beverages, the service is good.

Room Tip: Room no. 1 is good and closest to the gate.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Banyan tree in October 13 for about 4 days and was very impressed with the low cost and clean, simple rooms. Great value for money, all rooms have cable TV (tho if you're going to Goa to watch cable you definitely have the wrong idea), good air conditioning and, most important, CLEAN bathrooms with hot water. I like the unusual panaromic view (one entire wall of each room is a large window, which you can of course curtain off).

The owner, Sumit Yardi, handles most bookings personally and is quick to respond to suggestions. Like any hotel, there was room for improvement, but I was surprised when I heard from Sumit this month and he informed me which of my suggestions had been acted on. Good stuff.

Watch out for google maps if you're trying to find this place, it sends you off through a bike trail so if you're in a car this will be entertaining. Your best bet is to ask for The German Bakery (which is where you should be at breakfast) - they share a common wall.

I've already recommended The Banyan Soul to a couple of friends (one of whom stayed for about a week and was happy with the room and service) and I plan to be back next Jan / Feb, Well recommended.

Room Tip: rooms are all standard, so you should be ok with whichever you pick
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
banyansoul, Owner at The Banyan Soul, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
We appreciate your taking time to write such kind words about us. Thank you very much.

We also appreciate the valuable feedback that you have offered with regards to our hotel. We understand the cable TV reception was not the best during your stay at our hotel. This was due to the inefficiencies of the local cable operators. We have taken your feedback on board and now installed DTH Digital Cable with set tops boxes. We can now assure excellent reception on all our TVs in all the rooms.
We are also in the process of getting the google maps directions for the Banyan Soul sorted. We hope to have some luck in that regard.

But thank you again for your kind words. It is very encouraging to me and my staff to hear such comments.

We look forward to seeing you soon again.
Best Regards,

Sumit Yardi
The Banyan Soul
+919820707283
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Visited The Banyan Soul for the second time and it was great again. The place is greener than the last time, which adds to the overall calmness and beauty of the place. The staff was courteous as ever and the owner as helpful. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
banyansoul, Owner at The Banyan Soul, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and your repeated patronage.
We sincerely appreciate it.

Look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I decided on this place after talking to the owner, Sumit. Very accommodating and reasonable gentleman. Unfortunately for me he wasn't at the place when we landed. The banyan library was closed which is understandable but unclean rooms unacceptable. Stink and filthy linen is what makes me give it average rating for what could have been 4 stars. Service is appalling.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
banyansoul, Owner at The Banyan Soul, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
We appreciate your feedback and take it on board very seriously and are very upset that you were not happy with your stay.
We take great pride in our hygiene standards and feel very upset that we could not meet your standards.

I know there can be a few moist smell issues during the monsoons when it rains heavily for days on. We take great care and precaution to ensure the smells are eradicated, but obviously they were not enough during your stay.

We do hope you would give us another chance.
Regards,

Sumit Yardi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjuna
Spazio Leisure Resort
Amigo Plaza
#10 of 39 in Salcette District
Acron Waterfront Resort
Annapurna Vishram Dhaam

Been to The Banyan Soul? Share your experiences!