“Secluded & Serene”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Anjuna
Melbourne, Australia
“Secluded & Serene”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Palacete Rodrigues, about a few furlongs away from the Anjuna beach is a beautiful ancient palace/museum sort of a structure with European style rooms and serene huts in an exquisite garden. There is also a pool and poolside tables, hammock and benches to sit around with friends and chat up, basking in the moonlight till wee hours.

This place has great service and good food for the prices specified. The staff was helpful and friendly.

This place is located closer to shops, ATMs and at a walkable distance to the beach. So, accessibility to all sides of Anjuna were convenient and it was completely worth the money and added a lot more to our frolic stay in Goa.

Room Tip: Choose the Garden view huts for privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank TraveFreak

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I'd like to start of by saying, this is the 1st review I've been provoked to write and the title really sums up why.

While I haven't actually stayed at the hotel besides putting up there for one night two years ago
I have utilized one of the bungalows they offer in Vagator a couple of times now, meaning that I've come back and forth from the Palacette several times in the past few years even occasionally visiting them when I'm not staying there. Given that there are particular times that water works in the bungalow one may have to make frequent trips up and down from the hotel.

While the Goan family that owns the place are always up for a chat and short tour and as 693 Domldd put it "can do" people, I sensed a good deal of resentment for domestic travellers this time I visited. Now I'm sure many of us are aware that this attitude exists in Goa (and often with good reason). But I felt that as a returning customer who had been nothing but professional in my dealings with them I was mistreated.

Just because we're in a group of 5 and mostly twenty-somethings gives no right to anyone to treat us like second-rate travellers.

To cut to the chase- my criticism is centered especially around two of the staff- Babloo and Krishna. I hadn't seen them around the past few times, and assume they are relatively new hires. These two intentionally held back my Voter ID that I'd handed to them as security up until 1 and a half hours before my flight! Vagator remember is an hour away from the airport on a good day. Ensuring that I had the most stressful cab ride of my life. They held back my ID citing the need to "inspect" the property they had seen just yesterday in perfectly fine condition. After a painful, waste-of-time half an hour they informed I was free to go.

The small things I can overlook- carpenter renovating and hammering through the afternoons (I mean we come to GOA to get away from the same), the huge bungle on our scooties (leaving us scooty-less on the 1st day after having promised us) and the lack of water between 10 AM-5 PM. But the general attitude of having to "manage" their younger guests has really gotten to me on this last trip.

That being said, I partially knew what I was getting into. The bungalow is serene and beautiful and we were all aware that electricity and water problems were more-than-likely.It was a trade-off we were ready to make for the privacy and calm that the bungalow offers. The people however make the place. And sadly the people in this case have ensured that I will not be returning to one of my favorite spots in Goa.

To all doubting our intentions/age we were 5 people. 3 guys and 2 girls. All working, all well-to-do. Two of us working in one of the biggest NGOs in the country, one in Flipkart and one in a bank in Dubai (RAKBANK) for pete's sake. We just returned from our trip last week.

P.S. A meek apology and rushing me into my cab was the last I heard from both Babloo and Krishna. Our cab guy ended up Schumacher-ing us to the airport in 50 minutes! Where the lady at the counter (to my immense relief) informed me the flight was delayed an hour. I like to believe it was the pilot taking a siesta (when in Goa) that saved us! Hehe.

What I can tell you for certain is my mindset in Goa this time was far from "Sussegado."

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Icegate

Travellers are raving about these Anjuna hotels

norfolk
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We recently stayed at Palacette Rodrigues, it is a wonderful old colonial building, packed with antiques, we had the Portugese room, a lovely four poster bed super furniture a fridge and a kettle ! The madame of the house was most helpful as were ALL her staff.
there was a lovely swimming pool and pleseant gardens to relax in !
Would like to suggest it is made clearer what facilities are on offer,.....ie jacuzzi taxi service and laundry etc
Thankyou to Madame and all the staff David and David

Room Tip: the "portugese " room was very comfortable and good value !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank riot2
Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 February 2013

What an amazing guest house! Probably the best and cleanest place we stayed in. Lovely family, great service and amazing rooms. Filled with antiques (including the four poster bed we slept in) in a beautifull old house with immaculately kept grounds and swimming pool. Even the Goa trance music that was played outside by the pool was good and not too loud. Wifi was available at reception and the room included a flat screen tv with English channels and a good hot shower in the bathroom. The place is like a museum and worth a tour :)
Anjuna beach is within walking distance and there are restaurants, bars, a supermarket and atm in the area.
Breakfast was ok but a buffet breakfast would have fit this place better. Woud certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the main house are amazing but try and get the Chinese room...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PIAmsterdam
Anjuna, India
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We are staying in this hotel till May and we couldn't be happier to find this place. Len (the owner) and her mum Irene are extremely nice and very helpful. They are definitely "can do" type of people. All staff is very polite and it really feels like home away from home :)))

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but I think my favourite one is French room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 693DomIdd
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The only thing I like about is the old furniture, but there is a Lady (may be some where related to property owner ) who treats the guests and prison inmates.
Rooms are average. No room service at all. They don't even provide drinking water. The complementary breakfast menu is another disaster. I have chosen bread Omelet from the menu , they simply gave plan bread with out butter, jam any toast. Seeing the breakfast I stopped myself for trying other food options over there.
The manager Krishna is another ring master there. They really will restrict you where to sit where not to sit in the common area of the property .
Though some interior are good they don't allow to take photo.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Birajendu
Sharm, Egypt
Reviewed 8 December 2012

A really nice but quirky hotel away from the main hustle and bustle of Anjuna.
Very comfortable and clean with very helpful staff. Well run and managed.
Breakfast and meals served either in the small restaurant or outside in a very pleasant garden.
The owner was often around and is a really nice lady.
The pool was lovely and clean and they provide super large towels for the sunbeds.
Anjuna beach is about a 20 minute walk away and there are restaurants, shops and cash machines fairly close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Fancy something really special - try the Chinese Room. It's really something else.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple