“A place to relax, enjoy and just to be in!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Anjuna

Casa Anjuna
Ranked #11 of 65 Speciality Lodging in Anjuna
Stockholm
“A place to relax, enjoy and just to be in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Personal design with very good taste. A touch of India, Portugal and the world. Very quiet in a busy area of Goa. Close to the beach. What more can you ask for? I stayed there with my wife and some friends for six nights and we all loved it! Wonderful staff, nice pool, nice garden. Everything taken well care of. We enjoyed the rooms in the main building the most and preferred the ones on first floor more than the suites on the second. Room number 10 is a beauty! Just around the corner is an Italian restaurant we recommend and just before entering the beach is the Om Made Cafe that serves great fresh juices and lunch. Even on New Years Eve it was quiet which says a lot, since you can´t hardly be anywhere in Goa without getting your evening completely spoiled by very loud stupid music and people just having too much of everything in their brains. I recommend this place with all my heart! It´s a jewel!

Room Tip: Main building, first floor, great rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

Goa being the last stop on my intense three week tour of India, I was looking forward to chilling in a relaxed setting before returning to Europe. Upon arrival in Goa, I was therefore horrified when I found that my travel agent had booked me at a dirty, tacky package-tour-type, two-star resort in noisy Baga. I stayed there one night (I don't even want to review that place it was so horrible), and then demanded a transfer to a hotel and place better suited to my needs and expectations.

This turned out to be the Casa Anjuna in Anjuna, a little further north of Baga, where I stayed for my remaining six nights in India. Ah, bliss. It's a beautiful heritage-style property set in a tropical garden, a five to ten minute walk from Anjuna beach. My room was enormous and tastefully decorated, and, most importantly, quiet, and with a large comfortable bed. Wifi is free, breakfast was perfectly OK, and staff was kind and helpful, willing to assist with anything from making restaurant reservations and getting me a taxi to opening the (then) stuck lock of my suitcase.

India is a pretty intense, chaotic, at times shocking, place to visit, and when traveling in a country like that I for one need the places I stay at to be clean and peaceful and to just work. All of this and more is true of Casa Anjuna, and I'd be happy to return. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I didn't know what to expect but I left feeling like I had a great experience.

It's not a large resort with many things to do, but it does have a small spa, a lovely pool and great food.

I'll get to the real positives. The room was amazing. I had a huge four poster bed, with Indian drapes all over the room, huge floor to ceiling shutters on both sides that opened up to the lush forest at the back (with resident monkeys) and the amazing, beautifully kept gardens at the front. I really felt like I was staying in colonial India. I spent a lot of time in the garden and by the pool. As the hotel is tucked away just outside the main village square, it was extremely peaceful. Relaxing and reading by the pool on the sofas with the sounds of the birds in the background is a fond memory.
The food was also excellent in the outdoor restaurant that is surrounded by the amazing gardens.
They have a made a real effort to make the place what it is, and if you're after absolute relaxation in exotic surroundings, you wouldn't find a much better place. Anjuna beach is only 5 minutes walk away as well, so it's a real bonus. It isn't cheap, but it's definitely worth it.
Maya and Babu (the managers) were extremely kind and helpful - they make a real effort to make the guests feel welcome.
One of the highlights of my trip so far, would come back to this place without hesitation next time I'm in Goa.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

We had a wonderful, quiet time at casa anjuna. The staff was friendly, co - operrative and very helpful. We stayed with young children. It was absolutely safe for them to play unsupervised(by us) as the ever present staff kept a eye on them.
Food was delicious. Breakfast wholesome.
Loved the ambiance of the place. Tranquil and Old world charm.

Room Tip: Rooms on top (the suites) are beautifully furnished, airy and private. Though the climb up 3 flights...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We booked in to Casa Anjuna after two nights at another VERY BASIC hotel in Anjuna. Looking for a bit of a treat on our last night, we found Casa Anjuna.

Lovely hotel, situated in beautiful grounds, with lovely gardens, and pool area. We were there at the very start of the season, so only a few other people staying at the hotel. The lady who ran the hotel was very friendly and lived on site, and was very helpful, organising a taxi for us at the end of our stay.

The rooms are decorated beautifully, with lots of the traditional Portuguese style furniture and colourfully decorated. The rooms included free wifi and air conditioning, with a huge bathroom. The rooms were clean and comfortable, however everything did feel a little tatty. A great Breakfast was also included in the room rate, with lots of options, and served in the gardens.

One thing that we found a bit strange was that the room keys were kept downstairs on a key rack, next to an unmanned reception area, where anyone can walk around the hotel... we preferred to keep our keys on us as felt it was a bit risky!

Also, despite the hotel being lovely, the area in which the hotel is situated is not, with only a few narrow lanes leading to the hotel. We didn't feel particularly safe walking back to the hotel at night, and there was no direct / easy access to the beach. You had to walk all the way back to the main road.

Yes, it was very nice, but it just seemed a bit expensive for what it was, when we stayed at far nicer accommodation elsewhere on our trip for a lot less.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

I have just come back from great stay at Casa Anjuna with my 19 year old son.
It's not quite season time yet but getting there. We had two lovely rooms which were clean, a/c worked, towels and bed linen were all good. Staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. I asked one member where I could my mobile topped up with credit and he went and arranged it for me. They arranged for my son to get a scooter and it was there within five minutes. I met the manager in a local shop and she offered me a lift back on her scooter! Not bad customer service!
The breakfast was limited but ok with fresh juice, toast, coffee / tea, eggs anyway you want them.
There alot of areas where you sit and relax, read or have a glass of wine. Swimming pool was good and clean and topped up with fresh water. Bar snacks were served quickly and only a little more than some local eateries but served in lovely surroundings.
However, there are 24 rooms which in high season could be an issue as there are only five sun loungers and five breakfast tables! Anjuna is not very nice with a strong drug influence, selling bongs, people offering weed and cocaine around the beach area but Casa Anjuna is an oasis

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible to a superior room. The room around the pool are very near the pool!,
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We arrived at the Casa Anjuna and were immediately wowed by what a beautiful, tranquil oasis it was: quiet bubbling fountain in the central courtyard, exquisitely designed rooms with lovely antique furniture, lush and well maintained garden. We knew it would be more upscale than our usual cheap-and-cheerful hotels, as we were paying a fairly high rate (4000 INR per night) even in the off season.

While we loved the look of the hotel, almost immediately the service seemed below par. A few examples:
- We were told 2 different times for breakfast within the same 5 minute period, by two people who were sitting next to each other and seemed not to notice this error
- One of the managers argued with us about our booking (loudly, rudely) and was then corrected by his colleague
- They charge 50 rupees per day for the locker/safe usage - and yet you're paying 4000+ per night? This was silly and bespoke poor management.
- They left the key to our room out on a public table in one of the houses, so anyone could have come into the room while we were gone. When we asked for this not to happen, they got defensive (a common theme).

And they seemed not to know the area well. They couldn't make very good dinner recommendations (our cab driver shared loads with us) and told us that Shore bar was closed for the season - which we discovered only on our last evening it wasn't. When we asked where we should go to eat, they said, "Why don't you eat here?" They weren't aware of venues we asked about and didn't know appropriate cab fares for the venues (so we were initially overcharged until we found a new driver).

The icing on the cake was an interaction we had with the guest relations manager. One evening, there was a loud trance party going on next door to the hotel. Even with earplugs, the noise made it impossible to sleep until 1 am. Clearly not the hotel's fault, but worth noting. When I asked the manager about whether there was another room in the hotel that might be quieter (ours was close to the origin of the sound) he became defensive and insisted that "This is a peaceful, quiet hotel!" and "We can't control what they are doing outside!" Even as I quietly and calmly tried to explain what I was saying - I know it's not your fault, but I would like to know, in your opinion, can we go to a different room where it is quieter - he was extremely defensive and rude: e.g. "How am I supposed to know? I don't know if the music will be on again!" He claimed that the music was "an orchestra" in "the temple" and this later became "DJs and such" in the temple. Whatever. Annoying.

The hotel amenities were as good as I've had in Goa: clean, well-kept, beautiful. The breakfast was good - not excellent, but good. The restaurant's other offerings were less good, and overpriced versus comparable options. The pool was nice, cleaned at least once very thoroughly every day. Worth noting: The walk to the beach was not great: it purports to be 5 minutes from the beach, but a few caveats: the walk is through small back alleys and lanes, which are unlit at night - bring a flashlight. Moreover, the walk is more than 5 minutes, and takes you to the sea, not the beach - to get to the beach is another bit of walking, and to get to a decent beach to swim is yet more walking.

Our takeaway was that this was a chain hotel with a not-very-invested management staff, some of whom were annoyed by guests distracting them from their relaxing permanent vacation in Goa.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank M A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjuna
Casa Baga
The Park Calangute Goa
The Park Calangute Goa
#11 of 110 in Calangute
Acron Waterfront Resort

Been to Casa Anjuna? Share your experiences!