“Very welcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benaulim
Anthy's Guest House
Ranked #7 of 28 Benaulim B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This Guest house was superb. The meals cooked by their chef Rafik were superb, not forgetting to mention that every dish prepared were the chef's own recipe.

The boys who worked there were fantastic very helpful and hardworking especially Asok (a young hardworking Naples lad of 18 who wants to own his own hotel one day), Roy, Raj and Bhandhu. The Hotel faced the beech (Colva) and the rooms although basic were clean and very inviting.

All in all we enjoyed our 10 days stay and definitely would recommend and visit this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ytisonlymee

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

First of all, I was so shocked to see some of the more recent negative reviews for Anthy's because their experience couldn't be further from my own. Anthy's was without doubt the most wonderful place I have ever been and I've never had holiday blues like it after having left.

My partner has stayed at Anthy's 6 times previously and wanted to take me to spend a week there before we went on to a 5 star hotel elsewhere in Goa. On reflection I really wish he'd booked for us to stay at Anthy's the whole time!

To make this review as helpful as possible I'd like to pick up on some of the points made in other reviews - so to give an alternative perspective.

STAFF: Some reviews said the staff were rude and too laid back. I can honestly say I don't understand the rude bit one bit. The staff were a big reason for what made our stay so magical. Nothing was too much trouble and as a woman, they were always very respectful and kind. They were great fun and if you're kind, respectful and chatty to them, they'll return it back ten-fold. I personally have extra fond memories of 'Dragon' and 'Rafi' who always had huge smiles on their faces and who I now would love to call friends.
As for being 'laid back', well it's Goa! And as such everything moves at 'Goan time'. Yes, sometimes we had to wait a few extra minutes for a drink but it was no big deal and was certainly not something that happened very often. It's Goa....chill!

ACCOMODATION: When my partner had stayed before he'd always stayed in the terraced apartments which I had a look in and are very nice but this year Anthy has installed the most wonderful wooden chalets, kitted out with AC. It was basic but lovely and nothing more or less than we needed. Yes, there is only cold water but at 35°, you don't need hot and besides, the daytime sun heats the water in the tank and so in fact most of the time the water was naturally warm. The beds were very firm and perhaps harder than I'm used to but we always slept well and they were clean. I've posted pictures of the new chalets inside and out which may be helpful to see. It's basic but clean and perfect for our needs.

FOOD: WOW WOW WOW! Okay, big tip.... Have the muesli with fresh fruit for breakfast.... Might sound boring but just trust me. It's phenomenal. I still dream of it now and no matter how hard I try, I can't find muesli like it here in the UK, not to mention with the freshest of stunning fruit piled on top. Just trust me....have it!
Lunch and dinner was always just as stunning. Honestly, we had some of the best food ever at Anthys. The fresh fish was stunning and the Egg Curry made by Rafi was the best curry I've ever tasted. I'd never heard of egg curry before but again, trust me....you'll just adore it!!

LOCATION: You simply won't find better! The biggest most beautiful beach with the finest white/golden sand with the cleanest warmest sea and when we went from 14-22nd November it was amazingly quiet. It really was paradise. In the evenings, we didn't always eat at Anthys but would take a stroll up the beach to find other bars and restaurants to eat. There are plenty to choose from (although I still say Anthys is the best). Big tip: take a torch. It gets very dark after sunset and having a torch to walk up the beach is very useful!!

As I first mentioned, we did then move on to another place for our second week which was a lovely 5 star hotel. I've been lucky enough to travel to many exotic and beautiful locations around the world staying often in 5 star hotels but I can truly and sincerely say, they don't have a patch on Anthy's.

I loved every single thing about the place and can't wait to return. Thank you Anthy and your wonderful staff. You've given me some of the happiest holiday memories ever. I'll see you next year! Lots of love...J x

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank J C
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2013

First of all, I am simply shocked seeing all the positive references that people have left for this horrible place. I went to Anthy's in January 2013 because of the good references and in the end I strongly regret this because my precious holidays ended up to be a nightmare.

The service is extremely poor. Then, as a women I felt very discriminated and intimidated. Waiters were rude and disrespectful towards me and my friend and especially the owner has a very aggressive attitude towards women (he even refused to talk to me about my complaint). Apparently, at least thats what the staff said, he does not care about any complaints because he has enough good references on trip advisor.

Then, they constantly try to rip you off in the restaurant, which is too costly anyways. The bill was not a single time correct. They either put different prices on it, they don't have change, promise to give it back which never happens, or they miscalculate. It even happened that they couldt give us any bill, ask us to pay the next morning and added other things than the food we actually ate. It is not right to always double check things because you are on a vacation and it should simply work.

Because of my arguments with them, I decided to even leave the place earlier. Reading other references, those rip offs seem to always force you to even pay for the entire time even if you are abused and therefore leave earlier.

All in all, I would NEVER EVER recommend anyone to stay at Anth'ys or go to their restaurant!!! There is much better places in GOA where you don't have to worry about anything.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Luise Z
Aachen
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is a good place for a nice beach holiday. The cook is pretty skilled both in Indian and european cuisine, very tasty and clean food.
The rooms are perfectly clean, equipped with proper mosquito meshes, some have AC.
It is not exactly a budget place, but I consider it a "safe haven" without any hassles I sometimes experienced in other Indian hotels/homestays.

The rooms are - let's say a bit too dark for a businessman who wants to have a desk in there - but hey, this is a BEACH resort, so what else do you want except sleeping in there... and I did have a very good sleep in there!

Especially recommended for european/american travellers who need a "break" in their India trip without hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: If you really need it, they have some rooms with AC - but depending on the season this is a very opt...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hueckelberry
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Despite e-mailing twice and phoning twice from UK to confirm our booking of two huts for 5 people a few days ahead, when we arrived at 8.00 a.m. after a long and tiring journey from London via Mumbai we were told there was no reservation. We showed the guy on reception the email from Anthony confirming the booking but were just told they were full and he wasn't around. The huts behind the restaurant looked attractive but we never got to see inside. We were left to wander down the beach to find another guest house but they were full too. In the end we had to be assertive to get them to order us a taxi to another beach. Very disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Greenwichjohn
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Thanks to Rafiq the cook and Ray and his colleagues!! We could have landed everywhere...since we had no idea about Goa...Travelling India for the past 30 years I had always managed to avoid Goa. Thus I searched the internet and tripadvisor, contacted a person in Australia and took the risk and booked via email.
Result: beautiful place, quiet and peaceful, ok, the place is definitvely made for tourists ;), but it is an easygoing place, for the young as well suited as for the elder ones, basic but clean rooms, very good food, cool and cheap beer in the evening....and you can just sit directly at the beach watching the sun go down.

Will we come again?: YES!!:)if life allows us to do so...
Would I wish some improvement?: A Thali (Indian full dish) on the evening menue would be great and a decent light in the rooms instead of the one big bulp shining down from the ceiling

We loved that place and hope to see it again!!!

Room Tip: You should book well ahead in time since they do have but 15 rooms. you can choose between a/c and j...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed here in January 2012 and have to say I was not impressed one bit. I understand this accommodation is budget, and do not expect a lot, however what we did experience was so bad we only stayed 2 nights and moved on very quickly!

The bathroom was dirty with cigarette dimps piled up on the tiny shelf above the toilet, the bed was extremely uncomfortable with the thinnest mattress i have ever slept on, and I have stayed in hostels all around the world. I got no sleep the 2 nights I stayed here as it was so uncomfortable and the dogs howling all night kept us awake, the dogs were making such a noise I was very concerned for them as a dog lover, and it was distressing to hear them,

We ordered breakfast the first morning we stayed and it was awful, i asked for beans on toast with a glass of fresh orange. The beans had tons of onions in the mix and was very over powering and the fresh orange tasted like water and was warm, it was obvious that they had mixed it up with water and when we asked if indeed that was what had been done, we were told simply yes we mix it with water! we explained it was tasteless and were not given any other offer of rectification, but were just met with blank expressions and a shrug of the shoulders.

When we explained the problems with the room to the hotel and told them we would be leaving due to not being able to sleep, and the other problems, we had a very difficult time checking out and they made it very difficult for us to leave and made us pay for an extra night of not staying there! as we were 2 women travelling alone we felt intimidated and felt we had to pay this.

I was very shocked with the service we received as I have heard good things about anthys but it seems this place has gone downhill over the past years, and I would never in a million years ever recommend this place to anyone either to stay or eat.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CheshireSpaGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benaulim
Taj Exotica Goa
Baywatch Beach Resort
Carina Beach Resort
Carina Beach Resort
#5 of 14 in Benaulim

Been to Anthy's Guest House? Share your experiences!