“Authentic gem, tucked away in one of the few quiet parts of Goa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benaulim
Mango Grove Guest House, Benaulim
Ranked #8 of 30 Benaulim B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Mango grove guesthouse was a really wonderful place to stay. We stayed 4 nights around New Year's and enjoyed it a lot. Benaulim is one of the more laid back and less touristy developed spots of Goa (although comparing to other parts of India highly touristy) and the Mango Grove is tucked away in a quiet part of the town, just between the beach and the town centre. The owners were very friendly and the room spacious and very clean for an affordable price during the peak season of New Year's eve!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tito12Delft

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Found the mango Grove on here and its fairly typical of the type of budget accommodation you will find in the area. Its clean and basic but for the money its good value.
The location down Vasvado is fine although it is a little dark on the way home and some would carry a torch. Its a 10 min walk to the village centre with lots of places to eat and drink on the way. There is a quicker route to the beach but as I was meeting friends in the village, I never went that way.
Rooms are reasonable size with shower/bathroom attached. Not much in way of storage but then most people are not carrying a lot and don't require evening dress. Not a/c but I found the ceiling fan adequate.
Caetano and the family were pleasant hosts, although they saw little of me as I was out most of the days I was there. One very small problem was immediately rectified.
Would stay there again and most people I spoke to said the same.
Not the Ritz, but you wouldn't get a glass of water at the Ritz for £3.50 a night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed 6 nights in this family guest house and it was very pleasant experience. Mr. Caetano is super friendly person. Room was spacious, bed very comfortable and I had also small outdoor sitting area. I had company of two frogs in my bathroom. :) Location is about 10 minutes walk from village and similar time to beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Made a telephone reservation the day before arrival beginning of October. After a very long train ride, took a taxi to the guesthouse and asked the driver to wait for me a minute, to check if everything was okay.
I was shown the rooms, picked the one furtherst away from the house. I saw they have dogs, and since I'm a light sleeper, wanted the far away room. Matrasses seemed a bit hard, but were so in all the rooms.
I sent of the taxi, brought the backpack to the room and asked him to open the blue plastic that was hanging in front of the little outdoor seating (ground floor).
He said, since I was propbably only going to stay a day or two, he wouldn't open the plastics, that he had other work to do. Then he recommended me to go and stay somewhere else.
After a 33 hour train ride, being tired and hot, all of a sudden I had to go and look for another place :( He adviced me to rent a bicycle and go to a certain beach place.)
The bicycle rental was not open yet and it turned out that the recommended location was a 25 minute walk away. Found out later that that place was not even opened yet either.
He should have been honest with me, before letting me send of the taxi, as his place is nowhere near a riksja stand or such. Also the phone reception in that area is very poor, so I couldn't make a phone call and had to borrow the phone of a local after 30 mins of wandering around..
Outside of the high season would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The have rooms that have roadside and rooms that have 'garden' side. There will be barking...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
CAETANO R, Owner at Mango Grove Guest House, Benaulim, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Reply from owner of Mango Grove: We accept and appreciate factual comments and objective opinions about our business but this review is unfair for the following reasons.

A) Removing plastic sheeting

The lady made a telephone reservation for one night only by giving us only one day’s notice during the start of October which is still the monsoon/rainy season in Goa. Our guest house is open all year but, during the monsoon season, we have to attach thick plastic sheeting over all of the balconies for our property to stop the balconies and rooms flooding. Anyone will see that most tourist accommodation and private houses/apartments in Goa do this. It was raining when the lady arrived and she asked me to remove the plastic sheeting. If I had done this it may have flooded the balcony or even flooded the room and then she would probably have complained about this. It was not sensible or practicable to remove the plastic sheeting for just one day until the end of the monsoon season which is around the end of October.

B) Claim that I was dishonest

The lady says that I should have been honest with her but this is insulting as I was not dishonest with her and I only tried to help her. She said she wanted accommodation near the beach and it was obvious she had only booked one night in our guest house using the web at short notice as she intended to look for alternative accommodation and move out of our guest house as soon as possible. Therefore, I recommended alternative accommodation to help her and I even allowed her to leave her rucksack in the room while she was out looking at other accommodation!

It is not my fault that: 1) She was tired and hot from a 33-hour train journey. 2) There were no rickshaw taxis near our quest house - this is the case during the monsoon season. 3) The bicycle rental close to our guest house was closed. 4) She had to walk for 25 minutes to find the other accommodation I recommended. 5) The other accommodation was closed. 6) The phone reception (for the mobile network she was using) was poor in the area of our guesthouse - there are no reception problems with most phone networks. 7) She had to borrow a mobile phone from a local resident.

The lady used one of our rooms to store her backpack at no cost, moved out and did not stay at our guest house or pay for the night she booked but now she complains we treated her unfairly!

We have many happy guests, especially from France, who stay at Mango Grove Guest House during the monsoon and low seasons.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is more like a rustic home stay. Located in a quiet village.
One "studio room" above the family home. There's a separate building with double bedrooms for guests. Price Rs. 500 per day.
Hot water available.
It's run by Caetano Rodrigues and his family.
They do not serve meals . Bed tea is available.
There's a restaurant nearby that serves Goan meals. The beach is 10 mns. walk away.

Mango Grove ('O Mangueiro') Guest House
House No. 1685/A
Vasvado, Amblant
(Next to Carina Beach Resort)
Benaulim, Salcette
Goa, 403 716

0091 832-2770408 (from outside India)
0832-2770408 (from India)
0091-9922542217 (mobile)
mangogroveguest@hotmail.com

Room Tip: We liked the studio apartment as it was private, being the only one above the family quarters. It h...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed at Mango Grove recently on the recommendation of a fellow traveler we had met in Anjuna. We arrived with no advance booking, and ended up paying 450 rupees a night for quite a nice room; we did eventually discover that this was actually pretty expensive for a place like this - We have since payed as little as 250 for similar accommodation. The shower had obviously not been cleaned, though the room was clean enough other than this, there was a way to hang our mosquito net up, all good. The shower itself is of worthy mention, good pressure and nice and hot.

However...

Caetano, the owner, invited us to what we thought was dinner with him and his family on our second night. We thought 'Oh how lovely, its end of season, and he wants to get to know the last few people who stay here'. He said to come meet him at 8pm, and so we did. Upon arrival, it was not dinner with him and his family, but in fact dinner cooked for just myself and my girlfriend, while he sat there and chatted with us. Not a bad thing in itself, but it did feel sort of weird. Also, after claiming that he was a chef, the food we were given was not what I would call particularly good - Tuna steaks, which were admittedly fresh, but they had been crucified on the barbeque. Perhaps this is how its done in India, but personally when I cook Tuna for myself, there is always some color left in the meat...

Long story short, without discussing this with us, he charged us both 250 rupees for the meal consisting of said murdered tuna steak and a couple of potatoes, and 60 rupees each for the one beer each we drank. So our bill of 900 Rupees suddenly became a surprise 1520 Rupees - Fine, I hear you say, its not that much - but money is money, and when you are traveling for long periods around the world as we are, every bit counts. So stay here, by all means, but follow the golden rule; ALWAYS ASK HOW MUCH YOU WILL BE CHARGED!! And don't accept disguised favors - You'll pay dearly if you do.

Room Tip: The rooms in the separate building over from the main house are better, so we heard. We didn't s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
CAETANO R, Owner at Mango Grove Guest House, Benaulim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

(A) Information about staying at non-registered illegal tourist accommodation

I think it is important to point out that there may be guest house accommodation in Benaulim and other areas of Goa that may charge as little as 250 rupees per day for a room. However, these are probably rooms in private houses that are rented out to get a bit of extra money and they are actually illegal as tourist accommodation. If any guest can actually give the name of the cheap accommodation they hear about it would be of interest for the rest of the tourist community to see if they are legal or illegal.

Mango Grove Guest House is REGISTERED TOURIST ACCOMMODATION and it has to be registered with the local government sine we started our guest house business. We have to follow strict government procedures such as filling in a guest registration form and taking a copy of a guest's photo. If you stay at a non-registered room and you have an accident the owner will face a large file for allowing you to stay.

Also, where are these so-called low cost rooms for 250 rupees advertised on the internet?? You will not find them because they are probably illegal and the owners do not run them as a proper business. Also, the owners do not even pay the high costs (as we have done) to set up and maintain a proper business website AND WE PUBLISH OUR PRICE LIST IN AN HONEST WAY. If other accommodation do not publish a price list it may mean that you are in a 'room lottery' and you may pay a lot more or a lot less than other guests for similar accommodation!

If you are prepared to stay in Benaulim in illegal accommodation which you have not pre-booked through the internet then you will also have to just turn up here and look for a suitable room and you will probably find that these so-called cheap rooms are already booked in the high season or when you arrive.

(B) Charging for evening dinner

We are sorry that we may not have not communicated properly with these guests or perhaps they did not understand us regarding us charging for dinner. We did tell them on arrival that lunch and dinner is available and optional but we charge for it. So we honestly believe that a mistake was made in this case.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Benaulim is a delightfully quiet village, and Mango Grove is a family run guesthouse about ten minutes walk away. Caetano, the owner, and his family could not be more pleasant and welcoming, he is able to arrange scooter hire, drivers, excursions, taxi's etc at a good rate, will give you breakfast or dinner with the family, or you can walk three minutes to Palm Grove for a more extensive and very good menu 8am to 11pm. The rooms are smallish but clean, good fans, hot water showers, and balconies. No view except of Caetano's garden or the road, but still very pleasant. About a kilometre to the beach but its a nice walk, and only takes a moment by scooter... I recommend hiring a scooter! Some wonderful dining options in town. I will certainly be back at Caetano's later this year.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo