“Exceptional value”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Benaulim
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Exceptional value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We first stayed at this place in 2007 and have come back several times since. The staff have largely remained the same and we have always got a warm welcome when we arrive; lovely people. The rooms are spacious and scrupulously clean but some are maybe a little dated for some tastes - though a recent replacement of mattresses has added hugely to the comfort level - but all have balconies overlooking the large mature garden, which is one of the features of Carina. This garden is where you have breakfast, which is a pretty decent one with eggs, cereal etc. Last time we were there I asked if I could have the same breakfast as the staff, puris and curry, and there was no difficulty about this, though I don't know what they'd say if a lot of people started asking for it.
There is a good sized swimming pool, which is cleaned daily, and we prefer using this to going to the beach. Fortunately most people prefer the beach so the pool is rarely, if ever, crowded. From our experience in India, it is very unusual for a hotel in this price range to have a decent pool.
One of the other reviews referred to the construction site next door - the pool is on that side of the garden - and while it is true that visually this new development has detracted somewhat from the charming appearance of the garden, we didn't find during two two week stays at the hotel at the beginning of this year that our enjoyment of the pool was significantly impaired.
We'll certainly be back there.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I spent 5 nights at the Carina Beach Resort early January 2012. I had not intended to write a review but happened to look at their site today and feel I have to write to correct the many accuracies described by the previous reviewer!

I booked at the last minute as I was staying in Udaipur but finding it rather cool. I paid 1500 Rs per night (through Agoda, so that probably includes their mark up) including breakfast. Breakfast choices were choice of juice, either porridge or cornflakes, 2 eggs, toast and tea/coffee. Not fabulous but OK. I would have liked to have the option of brown bread as most western tourists prefer that now.

Yes, there is some construction on an adjacent property but it is not excessive. SInce I spent all day on the beach it did not bother me much. It also looks as if it will be finished in the next couple of months and I could not see any other opportunities for future construction adjacent to the hotel.

You definitely DO NOT need a car if you stay here! I was a solo traveller (female) and walked the 200 metres or so from the hotel (turn LEFT as you exit the property) to restaurants and stores each evening. Within 5 minutes' walk there are stores, including 2 small supermarkets, an ATM, a German Bakery and a number of decent restaurants. Although I did not return late to the hotel I did not feel uncomfortable with the walk. There are houses and other walkers on the way.

I walked to the beach every day through a gate at the back of the hotel property. I timed the walk and it is approx 7 minutes. I can only assume the previous reviewer was unaware of this back gate.

I agree that there is not a lot immediately when you reach the beach but there are several beach "shacks" that serve drinks and snacks - and very reasonably too - I paid $2 for a beer and a plate of fries - they have other food available. If you walk north a little - about 200 metres there are restaurants that serve a full menu.

All these beach "shacks" have very nice loungers and all they require is that you purchase a beer or buy a bottle of water from time to time. It was unbelievably peaceful. There were others on the beach (a lot of retired Brits mainly) but I could never hear any conversation or music. All I heard all day was the sound of the waves crashing. Exactly what I was looking for. The beach goes forever and I spent a lot of time walking up and down. Ocean was also very warm.

I do feel that the rooms need upgrading as they are a uniform beige and would benefit from some paint and new curtains. All the rooms seem to have a balcony. My room was kept exceptionally clean by the maid.

There was also a very nice and very clean pool, which I did not use as I preferred to be on the beach.

All in all I feel the property offers value for money and, other than the construction next door is very quiet and peaceful property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank AnnKToronto
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

The other reviews on a construction coming up across from the swimming pool is indeed correct, but I didn't really feel the noise as such. I did end up only staying 2 nights as it was a whorlwind trip & ate breakfast in the garden by the pool which was pleasant, though having said that, the breakfast provided as part of the room cost is for an 'English bfast' and I found that its quite different from a 'Full English Breakfast' hence it was of eggs and toast only. The staff were a bit distant, but were flexible with last minute adjustment in the duration of the stay. You will need a vehicle out here as its pretty remote from any cafes, shops, restaurants or anything for that matter. Benaulim Beach however is about 20 min away by foot which had 1 shack on it. For the price, the stay was decent, and very peaceful when compared to the crowds & frenetic pace of North Goa

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

have stayed here for 3 years and last time with my extended family for Christmas. It is what it is, very simple unpretenious and very inexpensive.
Breakfast always slow so we allowed for it, Ate in the beach shacks but enjoyed the pool and lounged there several days with iced coffee and beers. Wonderfully relaxing.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

At first glance when walking down the hotel drive you could be fooled into thinking that this is an ideal spot to enjoy relaxing in the gardens. But unless you were hard of hearing you'd be wrong. Two hotels are being built in the adjacent grounds and if the loud crash of hammer on chisel is what you're looking for then give this place a wide berth. The rooms are average at best and if it's a hotel with a garden you're looking for then check out Palm Grove Cottages instead, a few yards down the road. It's less expensive and a far better bet - and run by the very helpful Mrs Da Costa and crew.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shivabird
Southampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

We arrived at the resort to find that the 'peaceful gardens' were overlooked by a building site on 2 sides - building a 4 story hotel. Although at our (slow and unfriendly) check-in she did give us a room that was as far away as possible, it was still noisy. The staff at breakfast were slow and unhelpful. The location was poor - wasn't possible to walk into the village - especially at night (road dark, stray dogs), walk to the beach was over 10 minutes and you need to be aware of stray dogs as it is very deserted. We cancelled our 4 day stay and checked in to another hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarylJ
Carinabeachresort, Manager at Carina Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 December 2014
Hi CarylJ

Thanks for the feedback. Though a little too late to reply, we have made a few improvements to serve our guests better, besides still keeping our "Peaceful Gardens" amidst the all the hotels in Benaulim.... e.g Quick check-ins, Free Wi-fi, Customised Restaurant orders .and quite a few things (including clean rooms) personally overseen by the Owners and Management.

We normally try and allocate rooms as per request of the guests e.g Pool or Garden facing or Ground floors, unless we have limited availability.

Give us a chance to server to you better next time you are here.

Regards
Management
Carina Beach Resort
copenhagen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

Average value for money. A bit run down but nice staff. a 5-10 min walk to city. a 15-20 min walk to beach.

• Liked — staff helpfull
  • Disliked — location and run down standard
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benaulim
Joecons Beach Resort
#2 of 6 in Betalbatim
Jasminn by Mango Hotels
Jasminn by Mango Hotels
#1 of 6 in Betalbatim

Been to Carina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!