“Lovely relaxing resort”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Benaulim
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing resort”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This resort is quiet, simple but clean and a great place to relax and enjoy Goa. The beach is a short walk away through paddy fields. Swimming is delight and the beach clean and relatively quiet with a range of beach cafes and bars. Breakfast is served in the garden which is pretty, informal and includes a large and pretty swimming pool with loungers.

Unfortunately the resort restaurant is no longer serving lunch or evening meals, but the restaurants close by provide a selection of choices both Indian and continental.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Select a room with balcony overlooking the pool and garden.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy M
Carinabeachresort, Manager at Carina Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2014
Hi Andy

Thanks alot for your feedback. We do try our best to give our guests an environment to relax and still be close to all the buzz around benaulim beach.

We have re-defined our restaurant with an improved menu+pricing and chef and yes....the owners do personally oversee the cooking in the kitchen to serve our guests better and ...

More importantly...we do serve lunch, snacks and dinner in different cuisines (with goan and sandwich specialities) till 11 pm in the garden and indoor restaurant... everyday,,,, Do try our restaurant ...the next time you are down.....

We also are in the process of opening our outdoor pool side cafe soon.....

We look forward to have you again ...

Regards
Dr. Alfredo Rodrigues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Skane-Tranas, Sweden
Reviewed 1 May 2013

A good enough place, not more, they charge more than the stay is worth. Clean yes, the service was medioker, and the restaurant they have is not wort eating on, they don't serve indian food the Indian way, all is adjusted to Western style, and not in a good way. If you stay here, take the effort to go down to the beach, or to the village center.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Svirr
Delhi
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed in February 2012 for 5 nights, the location and the property is good. The garden and swimming pool in the middle make it one of the best properties in Benaulim. There is a poultry farm right next to it and that ensures that you wake up early. Our room was close to the main gate and the farm too. The waiter(Sheraton) is nice and courteous. He even has a scooter also that you can take on rent. The hosts(owners) are also nice but they refuse to hire a manager for the hotel which means that if you come late at night, you may not find anybody at the reception to give you the keys....We had to wait for 15 minutes and had to shout around to see if someone was around at all. They were asleep, of course. Overall, it was a great trip at a good Resort with minor irritants.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaizenlife
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We first stayed at this place in 2007 and have come back several times since. The staff have largely remained the same and we have always got a warm welcome when we arrive; lovely people. The rooms are spacious and scrupulously clean but some are maybe a little dated for some tastes - though a recent replacement of mattresses has added hugely to the comfort level - but all have balconies overlooking the large mature garden, which is one of the features of Carina. This garden is where you have breakfast, which is a pretty decent one with eggs, cereal etc. Last time we were there I asked if I could have the same breakfast as the staff, puris and curry, and there was no difficulty about this, though I don't know what they'd say if a lot of people started asking for it.
There is a good sized swimming pool, which is cleaned daily, and we prefer using this to going to the beach. Fortunately most people prefer the beach so the pool is rarely, if ever, crowded. From our experience in India, it is very unusual for a hotel in this price range to have a decent pool.
One of the other reviews referred to the construction site next door - the pool is on that side of the garden - and while it is true that visually this new development has detracted somewhat from the charming appearance of the garden, we didn't find during two two week stays at the hotel at the beginning of this year that our enjoyment of the pool was significantly impaired.
We'll certainly be back there.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter W
Toronto
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I spent 5 nights at the Carina Beach Resort early January 2012. I had not intended to write a review but happened to look at their site today and feel I have to write to correct the many accuracies described by the previous reviewer!

I booked at the last minute as I was staying in Udaipur but finding it rather cool. I paid 1500 Rs per night (through Agoda, so that probably includes their mark up) including breakfast. Breakfast choices were choice of juice, either porridge or cornflakes, 2 eggs, toast and tea/coffee. Not fabulous but OK. I would have liked to have the option of brown bread as most western tourists prefer that now.

Yes, there is some construction on an adjacent property but it is not excessive. SInce I spent all day on the beach it did not bother me much. It also looks as if it will be finished in the next couple of months and I could not see any other opportunities for future construction adjacent to the hotel.

You definitely DO NOT need a car if you stay here! I was a solo traveller (female) and walked the 200 metres or so from the hotel (turn LEFT as you exit the property) to restaurants and stores each evening. Within 5 minutes' walk there are stores, including 2 small supermarkets, an ATM, a German Bakery and a number of decent restaurants. Although I did not return late to the hotel I did not feel uncomfortable with the walk. There are houses and other walkers on the way.

I walked to the beach every day through a gate at the back of the hotel property. I timed the walk and it is approx 7 minutes. I can only assume the previous reviewer was unaware of this back gate.

I agree that there is not a lot immediately when you reach the beach but there are several beach "shacks" that serve drinks and snacks - and very reasonably too - I paid $2 for a beer and a plate of fries - they have other food available. If you walk north a little - about 200 metres there are restaurants that serve a full menu.

All these beach "shacks" have very nice loungers and all they require is that you purchase a beer or buy a bottle of water from time to time. It was unbelievably peaceful. There were others on the beach (a lot of retired Brits mainly) but I could never hear any conversation or music. All I heard all day was the sound of the waves crashing. Exactly what I was looking for. The beach goes forever and I spent a lot of time walking up and down. Ocean was also very warm.

I do feel that the rooms need upgrading as they are a uniform beige and would benefit from some paint and new curtains. All the rooms seem to have a balcony. My room was kept exceptionally clean by the maid.

There was also a very nice and very clean pool, which I did not use as I preferred to be on the beach.

All in all I feel the property offers value for money and, other than the construction next door is very quiet and peaceful property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank AnnKToronto
London
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The other reviews on a construction coming up across from the swimming pool is indeed correct, but I didn't really feel the noise as such. I did end up only staying 2 nights as it was a whorlwind trip & ate breakfast in the garden by the pool which was pleasant, though having said that, the breakfast provided as part of the room cost is for an 'English bfast' and I found that its quite different from a 'Full English Breakfast' hence it was of eggs and toast only. The staff were a bit distant, but were flexible with last minute adjustment in the duration of the stay. You will need a vehicle out here as its pretty remote from any cafes, shops, restaurants or anything for that matter. Benaulim Beach however is about 20 min away by foot which had 1 shack on it. For the price, the stay was decent, and very peaceful when compared to the crowds & frenetic pace of North Goa

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2011

have stayed here for 3 years and last time with my extended family for Christmas. It is what it is, very simple unpretenious and very inexpensive.
Breakfast always slow so we allowed for it, Ate in the beach shacks but enjoyed the pool and lounged there several days with iced coffee and beers. Wonderfully relaxing.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benaulim
La Grace Resort
#3 of 66 in Candolim
The Tubki Resort
The Tubki Resort
#2 of 9 in Palolem

Been to Carina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!