“Excellent Tangerine”

Tangerine Resort
Ranked #44 of 113 Hotels in Calangute
“Excellent Tangerine”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was there for 4 nights with my wife its pleasant staying in hotel the service is good and the best part of food in there outlet wagha border nice room cleen room good staff good location on the main road of calangute near to the famous St Anthony chapple

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our plans for Goa date back to November 2013 post receiving a wedding invitation from a set of close friends. We planned & planned & scouted most of the venues which we could call our Pad for half a week , unwind & have fun at the wedding.
Post drawing on the budgets & locking on the top 5 venues that we did want to stay at we relaxed... A bit to much & forgot that vacations planned well in advance turn out to be much economical than ones planned at the very last minute.
We finally decided a week before our travel dates that it was time to book the trip to realise that the budgets that we did plan would only allow us to sleep on the beach !!! Post going through all the possible options we finally clicked on the 1st available option that we did seem to like & completed bookings.
While we did know that travellers did post their feedback on the venue we completely forgot to read through it & decided to read it a day post completion of transactions. The reviews SHOCKED us !!!! As we read all the reviews on the place we had thoughts that the vacation would turn into a nightmare & we would officially turn into roach killers for the establishment , the difference being this would be a profession that we paid for.... We even tried cancelling the stay however the hotel had a non refund policy. Being stuck with the venue we packed all that was required to kill the roaches , the room & make it habitable for humans. When we missed our flight in the morning thanks to the lack of planning by the airlines we thought this was a sign that the trip would turn into a nightmare. A decent breakfast in south Mumbai followed by some amazing coffee brighter our then damped spirits while we returned to the airport to catch our next flight to our so called vacation.
Tension was the call of the hour when we did arrive at our destination & we greeted by people from the northern part of the country who hardly spoke a word of English. With our luggage at the reception we made way to our rooms only to discover that all what we read was not entirely true. The venue has warm rooms which ensured that one does not miss home ( the rooms could have definitely used some fresh renovation) , no sign of any rodents forget the roaches. We slept peacefully & woke up fresh now that our fears had vanished.
While the rooms are excellent the breakfast was not that great. I believe that the venue would do wonders with a young chef who understands a world of cuisines beyond the south & north of India & could cater to the taste buds of travellers from round the world.
The air conditioning units too could use a bit of servicing so they don't scare people in the middle of the night with what's sounds like the OST from THE conjuring. And a few attendants that could understand languages except Hindi and could politely attend their consumers would be quite appreciated.
The property has the making of an excellent venue which would be frequently visited by travellers provided a few changed are made before the start of the new season. Even till then we definitely would recommend the venue to others.
Our trip finally came to an end witnessing heavy traffic to reach the airport, would recommend an hour n half head start to ensure nobody misses their flight

Room Tip: Stay at the elite room rather than any room higher than that
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangalore, India
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We were 2 couples and came for a vacation at the tangerine, it was a pleasent stay at the resort with a very cooperative staff, we liked the hospitality and the delicious punjabi food of the wagah border restuarant in the resort itself, we were also provided a complimentary candle light dinner by the resort on my friends aniversary, please do visit the resort and have the dal makhni it was really ausome...

• Stayed February 2014
Nagpur, India
Reviewed 25 January 2014

There are better options for the same price tag, So why Tangerine? Why experiment with a completely mismanaged and inexperienced staff who failed to provide us Check in at 1400 hrs. There are more competitive hotels, and Tangerine is certainly not one. Rooms are okay. I would want to give it a miss.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank WTFares

Travellers are raving about these Calangute hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Made a booking through Travelocity and had a confirmation number. At first I was kind of concerned about some of the negative reviews I read but decided to give Tangerine a shot. On arriving at the hotel, I was told they were fully booked and had no record of my reservation. I showed them my confirmation from Travelocity and they looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Then appeared a manager and after telling me they were full said I could stay one night only. It was 8 pm and I felt this may be the best option. So I took up the offer. I went up to the room. On opening the door the bathroom stench almost killed me. The air conditioner was non existent and mosquitoes rife. It was like a bad nightmare. I asked for the Internet and was told it only worked in the lobby area. So much for free wifi in the rooms. I went down , logged on and searched other hotels. I immediately got a booking at a wonderful hotel down the road which was the best move I could have made. I went back grabbed my bag and returned the keys. Everyone behind the desk looked shocked!!
In total I spent 30 minutes on the property and even called Travelocity who confirmed my booking and contacted the hotel while I was present to no avail! No one at the front desk could communicate with Travelocity rep over the phone.
Folks, I am no primadona... Just a person who expects to get what I asked for and paid for. There are some essential basics expected in a hotel. THIS WAS A JOKE. I am disappointed in the travel sites advertising this so called hotel. 3 stars... That's ridiculous!! The website photos are deceptive. It is a shame that they could even charge the prices they do. I would be better off staying at the local jail with felons where the stench would probably be the same but I would not have to pay for it!!

My advice is STAY AWAY!! This is a joke of a hotel and my experience coming from abroad was unless you have low standards take the risk. If you gave me money to stay here I would have to decline. Goa is beautiful and has way more to offer than the Tangerine ???resort!!!

Room Tip: Stay away or else good luck!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NevFern
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Check-in :- It all started at the reception wherein we got a shock when the concerned person told us that we have only 3 rooms out of the 5 confirmed by our Travel portal. Post requesting the person and sharing the voucher details of all the 5 rooms, they arranged for 2 additional rooms for all of us. The 2 additional rooms were huge as compared to the one's we had seen in the photos and we were quite happy about the first experience with the hotel.

Stay :- The issue started when the other 3 rooms which were called as Elite rooms were allotted to my other family members turned out to be the most Basic rooms in the hotel with a peculiar garbage stink across the room. Elite Room is the most basic room in this hotel and one may find the word Elite as an executive room, but it's completely opposite.

While the hotel boasts about selling that room with an average rate of 6000/night, it's not even worth 2000/night. We had paid 5000/night for 5 rooms in total and the quality which we received was of 1500/night. Bathroom has basic facilities with No Hot water coming out of the Tap 24 X 7. When you ask for Hot water, they simply ask you to wait for 10 min for the same and post that, they will deliver a hot water bucket (the smallest available in the market) and except you to have bath with the same. Most of the things in the room don't work. Intercom, Fridge and one of it starts working post a complaint to the front desk personally as Intercom doesn't work to talk to them anyway. Free dinner was provided post multiple complaints about the rooms which is highly appreciated but what about the upgraded rooms with stinking toilets? Nobody bothers to clear that. Multiple assurances were given by the reservations person in-charge, however, everything seemed to be shallow at the end.

Breakfast :- Breakfast is very basic and consists of 4 items in total which get over within 1 hour post 8:30 am. You then have to plead before the Restaurant guy to get you an omelet as the Egg bhurji is over. It is completely up to the whims and fancies of the restaurant guy to honor your request for an omelet as he comes back to you with no reaction to your request initially and then just walks away. The food they serve is good and hygienic though. None of us had any stomach problems post eating at Wagah Border restaurant.

What had been thought of a memorable holiday with the family ended up in an embarrassing moment for us as we were the ones who planned it for all. Don't go by the looks of the website at all. It is not even close to what they claim. If the room is good, the toilet will be bad. If the toilet is good, the room will have some issues. Please be extra cautious before booking this resort.

Tangerine needs to do things right in the first place. You can make mistakes but not repeat it at the cost of 5000/per night.

Feedback to Tangerine Management :-

- Change the name Elite to Basic Room.
- Hire people in housekeeping who feel that the room needs to be maintained and not cleaned once in a year.
- Maintain the hotel to India standards and not foreign standards (I hope you understand) as we Indians except the rooms to be neat, clean and all the equipment's to be in working condition.
- Don't just say sorry post receiving a complaint, act on it to improve the stay.

Last but not the least, I would recommend everybody to stay in this resort as a walk in customer post personally checking the rooms without advance booking online as you never know what is waiting for you in there.

Room Tip: Royal Suite without a stinking toilet. Check for yourself before you make the payment. Don't boo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Godnik
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Very good for the price we got.. Nice rooms, good location, decent people
It's located pretty decently, not far from the beach at all... Very nice rooms and the owners who generally at the reception are decent people.. The rooms we had were very nice and we got it for a reasonable price even though it was peak season.. Bargain prior to confirming room price..

Room Tip: Choose the suites if possible..
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends