“Backwaters Cruise - croc capers and spice delights!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Tours in Calangute
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I booked with Day Tripper because I wanted a second river trip, having already been for a half day cruise with the excellent John's Boat Tours. This trip was more expensive but twice as long, as we had an hour's drive to the river Zuari, then cruised through the Cumbarjua canal right up into the river Mandovi. The crew spotted several crocodiles on the way, then we had lunch at a small spice garden deep in the countryside - a delicious buffet meal, and a very interesting tour around with the owner of the spice garden. The return journey had even more crocs, and this time we wanted a bit more action, so the crew obliged by chucking water at them until they rushed down into the river. But the final croc of the day, a 4 metre giant, refused to move and just lay enjoying the shower, so 2 men risked life and limb by jumping to the shore and daringly poking the croc's tail with a stick! Luckily the mighty beast didn't turn round and snap them up in its jaws, but slowly waddled forward until it slithered down the bank, which many of us managed to capture on video! The other highlight was the birds, but I was disappointed that the guide could only say heron, kingfisher or eagle, and had no idea of different species. Since this trip was advertised as being perfect for birdwatchers, I do feel that Daytripper should have provided a more knowledgeable guide. What's more, the "eagles" were actually kites! Apart from that, it was one of my best days out, and good value for money.

4  Thank smallspender

Reviewed 27 February 2013

As the title suggests theres a lot to see and do in this one day trip. We visited a cashew factory and now know why they are so expensive, stopped off for a chai and pastry and on to the spice plantation. After a floral welcome we had an interesting tour of the plantation. After a delicious meal served on a banana leaf plate with an optional fire water cashew feni, we went onto the elephant ride. A short ride, due, I think, to the fact that it was quite busy by then, but still great. We finished with washing the elephants and sitting on the back while the elephant showered us. Fantastic!

3  Thank PortsmouthNorman
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Family history with Day Tripper Tours however family now retired from it we still use whenever we go on trips, good prices, good service, good drivers and guides and nice friendly office staff

2  Thank Mal48
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This trip is a must do! It is excellent value for money, the tour guide is informative, funny and speaks excellent English. This was my first visit to Goa and I really enjoyed feeling 'the real' Inida when we were taken to the local village to tast Chai. I now fully appreciate why cashew nuts are so expensive, and the visit to the local school was an absolute delight!

The best bit though by far was the visit to the spice planation and the elephants! To ride on one of these magnificant animals was truly awesome and to then have the honour of getting in the river and scrubbing his back, although i admit to being afraid at first, was the best thing I have ever done in my life - the jumbo shower was very funny and a welcome relief from the heat! We got some fantastic pictures. You are provided with a superb buffet lunch which a great range of food on offer - all of which was delicious.

I dont normally like organised tours but I am so glad we did this one. Please if you get the chance dont miss it!!

6  Thank Mandy R