Beira Mar Alfran Resort
US$29
US$32
US$135
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbedding changed dailyhotel is in a great locationchristmas new yearculture shocktwitchers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I've just returned from a 2 week stay at the Beira Mar, having stayed there before 7 years ago. As a base, this hotel couldn't be more perfect. The location is spot on; all of the best restaurants and nightlife are nearby and the beach is a 10 minute walk away. Also, despite being in the midst of the hustle & bustle of Baga, it is far back enough from the main road to be fairly quiet.
The rooms are VERY shabby to look at, but this is purely aesthetic. Provided you hand your key in to recception (as the reviewer below has stated) then the rooms are cleaned as often or as little as you require. They're a good size with functionable facilities, hot water and a decent fan (AC is available but the fan was enough for me). My only major qualm with the room was it was something of a hotspot for cockroaches. On one occasion I came back to find 8 in my bathroom- not a sight for the faint hearted! However, this isn't the hotel's fault. The problem was easily resolved by buying some fantastic repellent which, when sprayed around the room before going out on an evening, had killed off any unwanted creepy crawlies by the time I'd come home in a Kingfisher haze.
I didn't eat tea at the hotel at all, and after sampling the breakfast on one occasion, decided to give it a miss for the duration of the holiday. You can get much better quality food elsewhere for peanuts, it didn't seem worth force feeding myself stale rolls just to get my money's worth! However, I did spend a couple of days at the pool and it was fine for snacks and soft drinks. The main pool is also situated next to the paddy field with a lovely view of the buffalo and birds going about their daily business.
Provided you are looking simply for a place to sleep and shower, the Beira Mar is a perfectly acceptable place to stay. Go in with low expectations- this is 2* India after all, common sense should be enough to tell you it won't be the Ritz- and you'll have a great time. But if you're looking for a place to be up to the standards of the continent, this won't be the hotel for you. It isn't ideal for those who like to spend a great deal of time at their hotel, but then why come all the way to a beautiful country like India to stay in one place?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
14  Thank SunshinePleaseLDS
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Stayed at this hotel for the first time in March 11.
Arrived late at night, approx 23.30pm. Was quickly taken to the room by room boys, on the way the boys were saying, very nice room. Well the room was very clean and spacious,overlooking the pool between 2 blocks of the hotel, but no a/c unit, and we really wanted a room overlooking the paddy fields, so we thought well its late so will sort out a room change in the morning. The humidity was bearable the 2nd week of march so we were ok with just the ceiling fan for the one night. A/C is a must the end of March.

We sorted this out with reception the first morning and exchanged rooms with A/C (payable localy, about 400 ruppes a day), with no fuss at all, and were located on the ground floor overlooking the beautifuly kept gardens and paddy field view. Bingo.
I suggest if this is the sort of view you would like, then try to go for 1st or second floor, as whilst our stay in this room was great, being on the ground floor, we did encounter a couple of unwanted visitors. i.e small snakes. EEK. But this is india wildlife and to be expected. Security was called straight away on both occasions, and swiftly removed.

The room itself was very spacious, double bed, dressing table with mirror, funny sort of kithchen side with no sink (but came in handy for storing our dirty washing), coffee table with 2 comfy chairs, adequate size bathroom / wet room. Large balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. The shower was hot, but on most occasions we found that when you turned the shower on there was a very fishy smell coming from the drains.
The room boys cleaned the rooms every day, sheets and towels changed every 2 days. The towels did have a funny smell about them though, but we have found this in all the hotels weve stayed in Goa, I think they must all use the same laundry.

The hotel grounds are well kept (about 4/5 blocks i think), the breakfast, resturaunt, and bar area were very nice, and looked lovely at night time when all lit up with fairy lights. A very pleasant area.

The hotel has 2 pools, one between two blocks, and one over by the breakfast area overlooking the paddy fields (both very clean), this pool was by far our favourite although we only used it a couple of times, because we like going to the beach. They could do with up grading the sun loungers though as they were a bit tired, but not an issue.

Breakfast was normal for goa standards, tea, coffee, toast, lovely fresh breakfast rolls, butter, jam etc. There was a list for all breakfast items cooked for a very small fee I.E 2 boiled eggs 20 rupees.
Only ate in the hotel twice. One was a lunch time, and the other was our last night while waiting on our taxi to the airport. Well on the lunch time I ordered the chicken biriani and it was delishious and thats what I ordered on the last night because it was so nice, paid about 140 rupees. Lovely. Sorry cant comment on the restuarant more, but all I can say is it was always full. You do also get when checking into the hotel, money off vouchers to use for evening meals, which makes the bill even cheaper. I think our final evenings meal which consisted of 2 starters, chicken biriani, chicken tikka sizzler, garlic naan, small bottle of wine, and a couple of kingfishers, all came to about 10 pound or less.

Staff were OK, at reception, their English wasn't too clever but neither was my konkani.
Security were always polite especially 'Happy' at the entrance to the hotel. Always shook your hand and announced he was happy to see us, everyday he pronounced this. He was so lovely. And also, our life saver from the snakes.

For us the best part about this hotel is the location. From reception, you walk about 50 yards to the hotel entrance, so any traffic, car horns can't be heard at the hotel. Outside you are almost directly opposite East meets west restuarant. Directly right will take you towards the end of Baga with bars, restuarants, shops a plenty. Directly left will take to towards Titos lane, Barats bar on the corner. All within a 3 min stroll.

Our conclusion for this hotel, is yes, basic, but clean. Perfectly located for our needs, nightlife, close to our beach shack, Oceanic (end of titos lane), so walking distance to everything.
Would we stay here again? Yes we would if the price was good again. ( we paid about £480 each for 2 week package). Any more detailed questions, feel free to PM me.

Happy holidays.

3  Thank millseywatts
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed at the Beira Mar from 18th March to 02 Apr 2011. I am writing this review because before we went out there, there were no recent reviews for the place so I hope this will help future travellers.
I found the hotel to be basic, but clean - once a fundamental misunderstanding had been cleared up. We didn't know that to have your room cleaned, you have to hand your key into reception, so the amount of times your room gets cleaned is dependant on the amount of times you hand your key into reception.... personally have never known this practice before as we have always kept our key with us and the room has been cleaned anyway.
However, the hotel is perfectly placed for a quiet time in a crazy place. We have always stayed in Candolim or Calangute.... Baga is just mental, but you get none of the noise and light pollution staying at the Beira Mar as it is set quite a way back from the road.
Breakfast is a bit of a joke - coffee and toast, and if you want anything else you have to pay for it.
The hotel entertainment is a trifle cheesy, but at least there is some, and every evening.
Room facilities for us were fine - wetroom, bedroom with 2 single beds pushed together and a kitchen area with fridge, sink and work surface.
We stayed in room 363 and what a sight beheld us in the mornings..... Kingfishers, Egrets, Water Buffalo, birds of prey, butterflies the size of small jets, various wagtails, gekkos and a host of other wonderful wildlife that more than made up for the petty niggles of the hotel.
Staff were absolutely fine - I found that if you treated them as if they were human beings, then you got the best service out of them.
However, my husband has a PHd in Victor Meldrewology so his slant on the holiday is totally different to mine.
He fell out with half the hotel staff (for reaons as innocuous as the hot breakfast urns were not labelled 'water' or'milk'), he berated the staff for not cleaning our room for 4 days when it clearly states on the instructions on the back of the room door that your room does not get cleaned unless you hand your key into reception (please see previous). He was also convinced that the bar staff were on some sort of scam and creaming off the top (just look at the bar manager's beauracracy - impossible) and that the hotel manager had been abducted by aliens and replaced with a type 4 cyborg....only joking, but my point is that I approached the holiday with no expectations, everything else was a bonus.
My husband approached the holiday with quite high expectations and was badly let down, so I guess I should sum up by saying that if you want a hotel to stay at 24/7 and just lounge by the one of 2 pools all day then its basically OK I suppose.
However, as a base for exploration, its fab....we hired an Enfield and did just about 1000k over 2 weeks. We planned our days ahead and just rode off, came back and just fell into bed (and sometimes on the floor!)
One more comment - the hotel food is not worth staying there for...plenty of restaurants just outside...East Meets West, Electric Cats, Tito's and further afield J and A's, Over The Flames, Inferno and the Kerkar Art Complex courtyard.
Enjoy!

15  Thank puffylaroons
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We have just returned from our 4th trip to Goa having made a mistake and booked the Beira Mar. You certainly get what you pay for. We expected basic but clean. Sadly this was not the case. No towels until the second day after a right moan at reception. Room not cleaned well. Shower not much more than a trickle. Bed linen grotty and grey. Even our local taxi driver questioned our decision to stay there. We didn't see our room boy for all of our stay so we could not even offer an incentive. We did not have breakfast there due to concerns around cleanliness. Goa is great and friendly. You are much better off paying that bit extra and going to Ronhils or the Marina Dourada. Better still the Nazri. Brochures describe this property as luxury this is not the case.

5  Thank likethesunsea
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We have spent 2 weeks every winter in Goa since 2001and have stayed in various hotels from Arpora to Candolim (we basically book the cheapest package we can find). We were very impressed with Beira Mar and were lucky to have a room overlooking the open fields at the back. The restaurant and its staff were great and the cooler evening air was very welcome! We actually ate a number of times in the hotel which is rare for us but it was so peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle outside we could'nt resist. As our family and friends were staying in Candolim we used the local buses to meet up with them which is great fun and very cheap. It is also only a short walk to Baga Beach with its many good shacks and too many watersports!!
the only downside of our lovely holiday was my camera being taken from inside my bag in our room. I am very much saddened by this as in all the years we have been going to Goa theft of any kind has never been an issue. Yes I did have a safe and have learnt my lesson but just want to make others aware sadly these things do happen. As expected the hotel reception staff made little of it and I did'nt report to the police as my insurance excess is more than the camera. Having said all that I will be going to Goa next year and would go back to this hotel but be more careful with my belongings.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple