“Great location, good room, bad food, worst service”
Review of Neelams The Grand

Neelams The Grand
Ranked #33 of 113 Hotels in Calangute
Mumbai
“Great location, good room, bad food, worst service”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Mine was 12th time in Goa and I have stayed at various locations with different requirement everytime - with friends, with wife, business etc.

If you get a bargain basement price for this hotel from makemytrip.com, then I will recommend this hotel very much, especially to young singles or group of friends. Good choice if you want to hang out and shall come to the hotel only for rest at noon/night.

If you are looking for a 'relax at the hotel with star comfort' do not go to Neelam. In north Goa, go to Riviera or Taj Hermitage Aguada or Sun and sand; In south Goa, if you want the Honeymoon isolation with nearness to the beach go to The Baywatch Resort and enjoy their service and experience. Baywatch is a great hotel story comparable to Taj or Ramada at a comparably very low price.

Positive aspects:

1. Location! Perfect location - very near (walking) to Calangute, you can hire a bike for 200Rs. per day (petrol on your account, you drive) or a car and roam to all the exciting places. Near to all the great beaches - Baga, Condolim/Sequerium, Vagatur/Anjuna. Close (15-30km) to Panjim, mira maar, dona paula or the temples and churches etc.

2. Rooms in new Neelam are cosy, but not exceedingly good as the 4 star rating.

Negative aspects:

POOR Service, no response even after several phone calls, no intimation before check out (we were told at 10.15AM to evacuate the room at 10.30AM!), at one time foul smelling towels, swimming pool water is NOT continually treated --- And the worst of all - Very very bad breakfast - smelling oil and eggs, no good variety and not so good prep.

It is not a 4 star hotel by any means - who gave them the certificate should be fired!

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Breakfast is horrible
  • Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Delhi
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Just back from my trip to Goa and it was excellent. Regarding Neelam's The Grand, the hotel was the best part of our holiday; otherwise weather was terrible in Goa. We booked the hotel through their own website. It took about half an hour to complete the check-in formalities. On arrival, our baggage was tranferred to our rooms quickly. The rooms were clean and properly done up. We had three rooms - G5, G6 and G8. Bathrooms were clean and sanitized up-to-the-mark. Lockers were easy to use. Swimming Pool was really nice and we spent most of the time at the pool. On the whole the hotel is nice, but I think the authorities should improve on their services. The staff were not very efficient. Food was not good and every dish tasted sweet; probably; it's their way of cooking. Nevertheless, its worth spending money.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Services
  • Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
London UK
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I cant understand why so many people seem to be unhappy with this hotel. My partner and I stayed there for two weeks in March 2008 and we had a great time. It was kept really clean, the staff were amazingly friendly and the food was delicious.
Ok maybe the standards are not the same as the ones we get spoilt with in Europe and the USA, but come on, this is India. These people do not have a lot of money, but they work damn hard for what they do have and they could not be more welcoming.
This hotel was by far the best in the area and I would recommend it highly to anyone thinking of going to North Goa, and would suggest that they dont even waste their time looking at other places, I have seen some of the other hotels and I personally wouldnt send my worst enemy to them.
This hotel has it all and is ideally situated for getting around, with 24 hour security to make you feel safe in an extremely different country. All of the staff are friendly, from the receptionists to the bar staff and cleaners, and all of the Chefs in the restaurant. Every single member of staff made us feel welcome and looked after, and I will definately stay here again when I return to Goa.

• Liked — The Staff were so friendly
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sooz23
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We visited the hotel in Jan 209. It is a four star hotel and the hotel is a big hotel. Its a 10 minute walk from hotel to Calangute beach. e ambience is very good. We booked the rooms from makemytrip. The price was in the range of Rs. 1950 to 2400. The breakfast is included. It has a pool for both adults and children. YOu can also play water polo their. The welcome is missing when we reached the hotel. The reception was taken care by 1 or 2 people who very very busy looking after checkin and check out of guests. The blocks A to F are 3 storeyed but dont have lifts. SO I had to carry my bags all the way to 3rd floor. Nobody lent a helping hand. We were very disappointed. But after some time they upgraded our booking in a block which had lift. The ambience is good. The cleanliness is not that good which one could expect from a 4 star hotel.
In the evening a DJ was playing some music. Staff is sparse, maybe cost cutting or recession.
It has a gym, tailor shop, ayurvedic massage center, travel desk, sports room.
At night the lighting looks good.
Overall if you're looking for a big hotel for less, you may go for this hotel.

• Liked — Economical Price
  • Disliked — Absence of lifts and no personal attention
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed at Neelams the Grand during the last week of Jan 09, we too were "upgraded" when we arrived a day late, possibly owing to the Thompson flight being delayed by 23hours.

There were 12 of us in our party, 2 couples had opted for suites and had paid extra, whereas in reality, the couples that hadn't paid any extra, got bigger rooms and bathrooms, however, those in other blocks of the hotel got comical and ornate arrangements of towels on their beds each evening.

The room was spacious, a sitting room with fridge and TV, which was fine, the bedroom again was spacious with twin beds, which were very hard, when I took the mattress off the bed, the base of the bed was an entirely wooden base, not even slats, so no wonder there was no "give" in the beds. The doors to the balcony didn't really close properly, at the top or the bottom, leaving cracks, ensuring mosquitoes could enter the room. The bathroom was okay, but the bath taps leaked onto the bathroom floor and the water pressure was terrible, so showering took a long time.

The room was also cleaned with a strange smelling cleaning agent, which I can still smell after washing my clothes upon my return home, on a good note the air conditioning units did work okay though.

The food for breakfast was okay, a mixture of Indian and English food, what wasn't clear was whether the water served at breakfast was tap or mineral water.

It was also quite annoying that only one key was allocated per room.

Room service in the evenings was more comical than anything else, the two evenings we ordered room service, the only food available was a sweetcorn and cheese sandwich.

I also agree about the comments made by others about the pool, the bar didn't seem to be open very often and the sun loungers weren't all that comfortable and not really a place where you would want to hang out all day and relax, we preferred getting a taxi to other beaches further away, such as Arambol.

This was my first visit to Goa, so I don't know what the quality of other accommodation available is, but I would rather try my luck elsewhere than return to this hotel.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
York
Reviewed 3 February 2009

This was the first time in Goa for my wife and I, staying at Neelams The Grand from 18th Jan to 1st Feb 2009.
I do not not usually complain about holiday accommodation but feel I am justified in letting other holiday makers share with my experience and see what lies in wait for them.
When we arrived at reception we were informed that we had been upgraded to a Deluxe room, however this was on the 4th floor and did not have a lift.
The stairwell and room was in need of drastic refurbishment, and the need of a lick of paint. The room was grubby and the storage space was dusty. Both beds had the hardest and thinnest mattresses I have ever slept on, and as my wife suffers from a bad back we requested an additional mattress to make it a little more comfortable for her.
The windows and frames were filthy and God only knows when they were last cleaned. The bathroom faired little better, the tiles were mucky with splash marks, and the bath old and stained with age. we frequently did not have any hot water and the pressure was low which resulted in you having a shower stood under a trickle.
The air conditioning unit was blocked on the outside which made the overspill water constantly drip on the balcony, and these units became the night time home for the many pigeons that flew around the hotel during the day, and their droppings also fell on the balcony.
On our arrival I had to request several times the need of a plug for the sink, and some coat hangers as we only had one, in addition it took 2 days to get somebody to open the safe deposit box as it had been left in a locked position. If this was a Deluxe room I can only wince at what the others were like.
Overall the place is badly run down and needs seriously improving, although the entrance is new. I think there is a rebuild on the cards, so maybe in a year or so things may improve, sadly this experience has put me off ever returning there, but not off Goa.

• Liked — Generally the staff were helpful
  • Disliked — The place was grubby and in need of a clean up.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NoggintheNogYork

Travellers are raving about these Calangute hotels

delhi
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The grand is one of the best 4 * hotel i have lived in. great facilities, excelent staff, tastefully decorated rooms, hiegenic bathrooms. overall a great place to stay on a vacation. go for it

Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple