“Nowhere better to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Santiago Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 110 Hotels in Calangute
Boroughbridge, United Kingdom
“Nowhere better to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was our third time at the Santiago, as we would not stay anywhere else in Goa. The staff cannot do enough for you, nothing is a problem.

The management are great as they are always very helpful with any request - Janet and Raj always make a point of talking to us making us feel welcome.

All the staff at the hotel make you feel welcome and we will be returning later this year - this time for three weeks as two weeks flew by far too quickly.

If you do go to the Santiago please call in to see "Jack the jeweller" just outside the hotel entrance - just tell him Bella sent you - you will get a great discount. He will make you anything that you want or repair damage/broken jewellery at a really low price- we got some great bargains off him.

We cannot say anything else that all the other "good reviewers" haven't already said - as we cannot fault this hotel or the staff. The staff cater for all meal requirements - not just those on the menu(s) - all you have to do is ask and they will provide anything that you ask for.

If you do decide to visit you will not be disappointed.

Cant wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul & Bella

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pauld2812

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Just back from another trip to India to get our yearly dose of sun, colour & spice. The Santiago is run by the General Manager Rajiv who over the years has moulded the staff to deal with not just the British, Germans & now the Russians with equal respect, they do this with style, charisma & genuine caring - Nothing is ever a problem or to much trouble for them to sort out.

The hotel its self is of Portuguese style, air-conditioned apartments mainly with pool views, they are clean, well maintained & constantly been updated, but have basic furniture throughout which compromises comfort. The facilities, Pool bar/restaurant, Thai Bazaar, & the upstairs late bar are all that is required linked with the friendly staff for a great holiday.

The approach track to the hotel has always been rough but now needs to be dealt with, for safety reasons once done it would make a suspended entrance to this special place.

Th only down side of our holiday was The Goan Jeweler, based at the hotel (rents a space) I have found that some items I have brought have been sub standard so I could not recommend her. On the plus side to this Jack the jeweler on the right side of the track just as you leave the hotel is proving to be honest, meticulous & a great designer as a result is gaining alot of business from the guests of the hotel - try him out you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Request a pool side room in advance.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon R
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I cannot fault this hotel ... the food, staff, location and service are all top class and that is why I returned here on my second trip to Goa :-) ... always a pleasure and delight to visit this hotel. I stayed at the Ronil also and it was no where near as good as the Santiago and I would not return to that hotel

Room Tip: pool facing room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VivLitch
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Our second year here & I am pleased to say nothing has changed (except a much better exchange rate) accommodation comfortable, food better than last year but what really makes this hotel special is the staff Janet is always smiling & nothing is ever too much trouble, the bar & resteraunt staff are all great for us the stars are Paul, Predesh & Sam. We will keep coming as long as it stays this way.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard O
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Don't be put off by the track leading to The Santiago.....it only makes this hotel more of a haven!!!
The rooms are very basic and my first impression arriving late on our first night wasn't good. However, waking up the next morning to beautiful sunshine, enjoying a decent breakfast and the most welcoming of staff all seemed much better. Yes our room was basic but the bed was big and comfy, shower was powerful and the room was cleaned every day.....what more do you need. The A/C was a little noisy so we just kept the fan on low through out the night which kept us cool. The food is plentiful, varied and spicy. We certainly ate well during our stay and really couldn't find fault with the food at all. If there's nothing you fancy food wise the staff will do there up most to find something you will like. Talking of staff i must say of all the wonderful and welcoming places we've been these guys are the nicest, friendliest bunch we've ever met. Seriously nothing is any trouble, they were all fantastic and work so hard. The guests are mainly English and most we met were long term returning guests, which tells you something. Make sure you take plenty of mosi spray and bite cream as they can be a nuisance, Jungle formula is a good one. Every thing is really cheap but do barter!!! The shopping is great but it's quite mad, everyone wants you to buy and walking down to the beach via the main road can be hard work. Baga beach is very busy and you will be pestered to buy tat, massage, nails etc. The fruit is always a good shout, the pineapples were beautiful. All the staff in the shacks are great fun. We went to a shack called Bosco's and were always made to feel very welcome. There are some much quieter beaches a short taxi away and well worth going to. Taxis are very cheap and you can get just outside the hotel, we used a guy called La La-reliable and honest. Where ever he took us beach/market he would wait for us. We did a few trips, the ones i would recommend are the elephants-and castaway which was amazing...but shop around it's cheaper to book outside the hotel. This was our first trip to India but hopefully not our last. Goa is not for the faint hearted but what an experience and worth the long flight, however 2 weeks was not enough. I hope you enjoy the Santiago as much as we did

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank andrea b
Vadodara, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I just came back from my first trip to goa. The hotel was really good. We selected MAP plan for our 5 nights/6 days stay. The Breakfast and Dinner was awesome. The staff was really very supporting. We really miss you Sadananad, Walter, Samarjeet & Taheer. Even though we are vegetarian, they provided us so many options as per our choice. The best thing was location. The hotel is just 5-10 mins walk away from Calangute beach. It is only 10 mins away from Dominoz, Titos and Baga beach. The hotel provided transfers as per their promise during my online payment. 24hour security, 24*7 reception sevices were also awesome. The only thing that might be on lower light is Rooms. Rooms are very clean and spacious but they are very simple. They really need to renovate them with special lights, walls and furnitures. Swimming pool was also very nice. Certainly you can choose this for your stay in Goa. Planning to visit it again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west sides can be good option to stay
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank myfirsttrip
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Staff are smiley, friendly & helpful to ALL guests, whether from UK, India or elsewhere. We had a a lot of Indian guests there for New Year and had a great time, wonderful people.
Arrived at Hotel Santiago at 2.30 in the morning. Facing a dark bumpy road and feeling apprehensive, we were greeted by the smiling hotel staff who carried our cases for us.
Was quickly checked in and went to our room. My friend`s face was a picture, she said “it’s not the Hilton is it”. No its Goa, but after the first night and getting over travelling. WE LOVED IT
Room
Basic - but very clean. Twin bedded room with ceiling fan & air con, living area with extra bed as there were 3 of us. TV were never switched on. Kitchen area had a full size fridge with freezer box was equipped with cold beer, water and soft drinks. Kettle, coffee, tea & sugar. Tea was Tetley but doesn’t taste like ours, take your own. Coffee was Nescafe and good. Close the bathroom window in the nights to stop Mozzies getting in. Had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool. Ideal for an early morning cup of tea, with smiles from the staff.
We were AI as it wasn’t much difference to do this as to book flights.
Had a Thai restaurant where the food was brilliant, it was qui et, don’t know why, because the food was good. Staff were attentive and friendly. Excellent all around.
They also had an A la carte menu with a mixture of Goan dishes to steak & chips. They will cook whatever you ask for if they can, even if not on the menu.
The best food was when the Indian gusts visited for New Year and they done a more traditional buffet for them. WOW, spicy, traditional and truly good food. Some of the best meals I have ever had. They seem to think “us brits” cant do too spicey
Breakfast was a mix of traditional Goan with the omelette, toast, fruit options thrown in. Couldn’t fault it
STAFF,
This is what made this hotel and the holiday. THEY ARE AMAZING AND MAKE THIS HOTEL. I have never been anywhere, and I have travelled a lot, where the staff have gone out of their way so much to make your stay so enjoyable. By the end day they all remembered your name, I’m glad they had name badges as I have a head like a bucket. They cannot do enough for you, and it’s totally genuine. I really hope the Management appreciate what they have in their staff as without them it would be nothing. I cannot thank them enough for such fantastic hospitality.
Out & About
Gavin our Thomas Cook rep is a character and a half,, he’s brilliant, helpful, knowledgeable
We booked Elephants Castaway and Charity Gala dinner. All were brilliant. Castaway was a night or 2 in a tent on a deserted beach. The tent was fantastic, with en-suite bathroom. GLAMPING not camping
We visited Coco Joes bar nearly every day on Baga Beach. Again, the staff couldn’t do enough for you. Would even go and get a bottle of sea water to wash the sand off your feet, nothing is too much trouble. A lot of the “shack” staff are unpaid, they work for free and in return can offer their services, such as massage. This is their income. Even if you don’t want a massage they still look after you day and day out. We spent New Year’s Eve with them and it was AMAZING. We took lots of sweets / chocolate for the kids, they loved it, especially the children on the beach that were trying to was I have never seen such gratitude on anyone’s facei n all of my life. That look will haunt me forever. You should have seen him when I gave him a fiver.
We bought fruit on the beach every day, and the smiles we got made my day. Even though we didn’t eat it all, the kids, cows and buffaloes on the beach enjoyed it, and we helped the fruit ladies my making their “ wallets heavier and their loads lighter”. They work so hard.
Had nails / pedicure done 3 times on the beach… never do this at home but for £2.50,,,,
We saw a man sat in the dirt on the side of the road, obviously homeless collecting dry wood to start a fire. We stopped and gave him mangoes and 100 rupees, £1. He started cryuing and kissing our feet
A jeweller called Lucky`s Emporium opposite Cuba bar on way to beach was recommended. And my friend had a very expensive diamond reset in a ring. I have never ever seen her lost for words, but when she got it back she was so pleased she nearly cried. I then had a blue & white diamond ring made, its stunning, pic added but it doesn’t do it justice. I don’t normally buy things for me,,, but the comments I have had on it make me so happy.
We have had such an amazing time, 2 weeks is certainly not enough? In fact we are back again to Santiago Hotel in April.
I cannot commend this hotel & its staff enough even though they had to put up with rude arrogant Russians, not tarring everyone with the same brush, but the “smiles”, “pleases” & “thank you`s” were few and far between.
Everyone here survives on tips, their wages are diabolical, a waiter gets about £50 - £60 a MONTH. So don’t forget to tip the excellent service, its how they survive.
THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for making it such a memorable holiday. Now I know why so many guests return again and again
Walter, David, Christopher, Sam, Pritesh, Nez, Lakesh, Paulo, Hiacynth, Sadar, Tahil, Chandon, Sunil, Lynn and Nundu. And anyone else I haven’t mentioned
Jo

Room Tip: we had a pool room which was excellent
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calangute
SinQ Beach Resort
#95 of 110 in Calangute
Hotel Palacio De Goa
Hotel Palacio De Goa
#13 of 48 in Panjim

Been to Santiago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!