“Fell in love with Palolem Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Camp San Francisco

Camp San Francisco
Ranked #101 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Canacona
London, United Kingdom
“Fell in love with Palolem Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed in San Francisco beach huts last year in February on our trip to India. They are very basic, but generally clean and great value for money, plus, comparing to some other huts nearby, these had warm water which was a nice surprise:)
Food not so great there during the day but we ate around on Palolem Beach every night.
Generally worth recommendation and Palolem is magical:)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CountryWalker123

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Went there with my girlfriend for 2 night 3 days. It was my first visit to south goa and hence i was not very sure about where to put-up. Browsed the entire internet for the best beach facing stays and after quite a lot of hunt came up with this beautiful option - "Camp Sanfrancisco". We travelled in the scorching heat of May, hence AC room was a necessity and we chose the super deluxe beach facing cottages. Frankly, none of them had an AC,TV, Living room, Bed room, sitouts inside and on the porch a big bath with geyser and an awesomely comfortable sooper cozy bed with a quilt for a more than reasonable price (offseason benefit aswell). Trust me the rooms are amazing, bang on the beach and if you see my pic, where i clicked it while i was lying on the bed and see the waves rolling in; you sleep all night to the sound of waves and wakeup to comeout of your room and touch the soft cold sand barefeet. They have a candle light dinner system which is too romantic being a couple. Food is very nice, try the goan style prepared pomfret. Sagar is there to get you anything, he is a very nice fellow. and not to mention Joseph sees to it that you get that homely feeling during your stay. He has a brilliant sense of hospitality starting from answering your calls to receiving you while you arrive. last but not the least, the queen beach of palolem is there to give your that perfect sense of tranquility and away from your ho-hum lifestyle feel. I am very sure i will come back to this place again. Loved it absolutely !!

Room Tip: go for the super deluxe beach cottages and you would hate to checkout
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rajat_2412
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I went to Palolem Beach during Christmas and stayed here....I loved it and I never wanted to come back.There was so much hospitality...everything was well managed and organised.The night view ...open restaurant on the beach...what else u need to just relax under sky .
The beach huts are so good to have beautiful view of Palolem ...take a sun bath and be comfortable in your hut...just feel like home there...it's serenity....I just loved it...
I would definitely thank Joseph who really made our stay special and memorable...and all others who made us feel at home:-)

Must go here!!

Room Tip: Do stay on beach facing huts....u wud fall in love with Palolem...believe me:-)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeeptiGarg
New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

The best beach in goa is Palolem beach nd the best part there was the Camp Sanfransisco Resort were I got homely comfort, saftey as well as best foods. The best thing was behavior of the associates, I m really impressed by their friendly attitude. I had the best time of my life in Palolem Beach. Thanx to the guys there who took real care and made our stay comfortable at Camp Sanfrancisco, just never realized that we were staying in a hotel! nd the most important guy there whom I ll always miss there is Tarzan. Lots of thanx and best wishes to Mr. Joseph, Sagar, Ajit nd all...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

To the uninitiated, coco huts are room made of ply wood and bamboos on the beach. These are makeshift accomodations which are dismantled in the monsoons and are built again in October. At Palolem, there could be around 20-25 coco huts and some standalone shacks (without accomodation).
Palolem is one of the best beaches in India. Even if it is not unexplored, I think it is definitely not busy by Indian standards. The beach respects people's privacy and pestering by hawkers is definitely not a problem here. It is white sand beach and very safe to swim due to low undercurrents and benign waves.
Please understand that almost all the accomodations on the beach would have basic standards. The main attraction is the location. I would choose a place which gives me the best room view and good service. Rest I think is similar. Food is not a problem as you can walk to nearby restaurants.
Coming to Camp San Fransisco (CSF) what I likes is the attitude of the owner - Joseph. He is a very cordial and helpful guy. I found that some of the other property owners had a very indifferent attitude. Ciaran's for example was not even ready to talk to us for booking (even though they had empty rooms). Joseph on the contrary was very forthcoming. He explained what our room would be like, the different classes of rooms he had and how we could arrive at his hut. He even helped us arrange transport and sight seeing. The guy sets up a barbeque on the beach in evening and cooks himself. Food is really good. As for the view, a lot of others don't have direct beach view from the rooms. CSF definitely has. Look at the pics.
Just one minor issue could be room cleanliness as we found rubbish on the floor and it was not cleared (and we did not complain as we were outside 90% of the time).
I would strongly recommend CSF. At Rs 9k for 3 nights for beach facing rooms, the rents are not cheap and you should expect good service. Skip the big names as they seem to have more than they can handle.

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms on top have better view. Deluxe beach facing rooms open on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mystictourist
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I started off my two month trip to India and Nepal at Camp San Fransisco and i was a little disappointed to say the least. The room was very bare and basic..more like a cell. The area around the huts is a bit of a dumping ground. Also there is a sort of communal area but it just doesn't have a nice vibe - you wouldn't want to hang out there at all. Its all just a bit rundown and shabby. I had to move rooms because of massive cockroaches. The other room wasn't much better and i couldn't wait to got to a new place i found at less then half the price and so so much nicer. It was very expensive for what you get as as well. I would highly recommend staying in Patnem rather than Palolem, unless resort type places are your bag.

Room Tip: Unless you are travelling at peak season i'd say you can easily find a cheap and lovely hut when...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GirlGoingPlaces2

Travellers are raving about these Canacona hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night in a sea facing hut on the first floor. We'd gone on a organised trip from Candolim and been given different accommodation but saw these and moved here. We payed 1.500 rupees for the night. Room had a bed and table with a much needed mozzie net, also had A/C which was also much needed and kept the mozzie a at bay. Bathroom was basic but just what you'd expect. The room could have been cleaner as there was a bit of rubbish on the floor but the bed linnen was clean. The first hut we were given's door wouldn't lock so we got moved. It's a good base to stay on the beach, we only got washed, changed and slept there as spent all afternoon and evening on the beach. It's a good location, we didn't eat there but the BBQ looked nice and the tables were candle lit. All in all if you want a cheap base with a view of the sea check this place out. I've posted some pics.

• Stayed January 2013