“They 'Teo Chew'ed my soft-shell crab”

Teo Soon Loong Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 724 Restaurants in Melaka
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have been to this cosy restaurant many times and the flavours do not disappoint. home-cooked recipes that have been tried and true for many generations. Their dishes feature seafood heavily, with great juicy options for oysters ( go for oyster noodles or oyster omelette).
A family-run business, the manager one of the sons whom can speak Chinese and English well.

Fullhouse practically everyday, it is a good idea to book in advance.

2  Thank RoyceTanTG

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Even knowing from previous reviews that this restaurant was hard to find we walked past it twice before we figured out where to go. Once inside in pleasant air conditioning we got the waiter to help us with ordering and we ended up with a range of wonderful dishes. My favourite was the chicken in Chinese wine and the tofu with pork mince.

1  Thank garglebutt
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am a teochew and this is definitely one of the best teochew food I ever had. Been there 5 years ago, had been missing the oyster mee since then. This Malacca trip was with hubby, only the 2 of us therefore not able to order many dishes. Oyster mee is a must, also ordered a plate of kailan, teochew style steam pomfret and yam paste with pumpkin and ginko nuts. The fish is fresh and vegetables are green. There is no menu, the towkay son will recommend what is available on that day. Advisable to call for reservation as the place is quite small and might not have tables available if were to walk in. The place also provide free wifi. Thumbs up and I will be back!!

1  Thank Shadow2812
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

TCL is truly a Teochew foodie paradise. U can easily missed it from the outside though it's near popular Jonker, quaint enough neighbourhood with funeral house as nearby neighbours.

ADVANCE BOOKING is a MUST and be prepared to be disappointed with the lack of customer service at times. But who cares when the food it that good and the ambience so unique. First the cooking is done semi outdoor at the entrance and you see all the available raw food in the open fridge next to your table.

Must eats include, sublime steam pomfret fish, braised oyster noodles, pork ribs with bitter gourd, minced prawn fritters, their delectable "Or Née" (mashed sweet Yam dessert) and washed down with their fresh watermelon juice and saccharin-sweet fresh mangoes.

OK, got to go and change out of my saliva-drenched T-shirt!

2  Thank Steven L
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were 2 people only, so we couldn't order a lot of stuff. Going by the recommendations here, we ordered the oyster noodle, the sweet wine chicken, and the or nee.

We were very impressed with the chicken, it was sweet and savoury and aromatic all at once. Although my partner likes the oyster noodle very much, I thought it was good only - I will skip this dish and save my stomach space for others in future.

We were both impressed by the or nee. I felt it was a little subdued, but it was a very fresh or nee nevertheless. I also liked that it wasn't too sweet. This is probably one of the last place you can eat a traditionally prepared or nee, so I savoured the experience.

Both the boss and the young staff were very nice. The food is well worth the money, but you should know that it is a little more pricey than restaurants in the same area. The restaurant is always full or fully booked. So it's best to walk over and make a reservation earlier in the day.
Opens Tuesday - Sunday, 12.3-2pm, then 6-9.30pm. Highly recommended!

1  Thank food_heiress