“Below expectation”
Review of Makan Kitchen

Makan Kitchen
Ranked #148 of 800 Restaurants in Melaka
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Description: The Makan Kitchen is our all day restaurant with an image of unconventional coffee house and will certainly not be a traditional buffet restaurant. The cuisine emphases on Malaysian food Icons, available from our interactive kitchens offering a vast range of freshly cooked items, “a la minute” for our guests offering a unique quality dining experience. Makan Kitchen will take you all over Malaysia to experiment the exquisite flavors of a traditional and authentic cuisine. We will focus on this unique interactive experience between our customers and our specialty Chefs. Our menu will reflect Malay traditional kampung delights such as the gulai, satay and ikan bakar, Indian favorites such as chicken tandoori, tikka, naan breads and the varieties of curries. Chinese cuisine will feature all-time favorite such as the famous BBQ ‘char siew’, roast duck, chicken rice and the dim sum. We will propose an authentic and flavored street food selection reflecting Nyonya, Chetti and Portugese.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Price
when I first inquire abt the price. I was told to be RM 82/pp but they did not mention on Friday and Saturday is seafood night so the price is rm119/pp. I was taken aback by the price because the choice was rather small for seafood night.

Oyster are not fresh and limited to crab, mussel and prawn only. The chef counter has no one attending and the spaghetti counter was worse. No salt or pepper in the spaghetti. It was just taste of cream. Some of the fish masala was raw. The crab tandoori was very dry. The broccoli used for decorations beside the mussel are browned with many black spots on it, not hygienic isn't it.the ice cream is at the back of counter and it has no sign. I only know there's ice cream when I ask what are the condiments for. Dessert-feels like it had been there for longer than it should. some are soggy some are dry.

Drinks
Only tea and coffee and water. No juice/soft drinks.

Environment
Perhaps the only good thing so far. Nice ambient environment.

Brought my parents for celebration and they dont even want to go back there again. Perhaps it was just the seafood night that was bad but definitely would not want to go back again.

Abd Asri A, Manager at Makan Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Ms Kaylynn77,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with a review. I would like to apologize for the shortfall of services that you have experience and will be sure to share your feedback with the team for future improvements. We look forward to an opportunity of welcoming you back to Makan Kitchen DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka again with better service delivery.

Sincerely
Asri Rasah

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

I had a fantastic Ramadan dinner with my friends, thanks for Chef Hashrul and his team delighted my dinner, really enjoy it. Definitely will recommend to friends and visit back.

Abd Asri A, Manager at Makan Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Steven W

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to see that the service provided from our hotel team was meet your expectation. Thank you for your valued feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka again soon

Reviewed 17 May 2018

Too spoilt!!! They spoiled us too much!! Too much of great food. Too much of help. Too much of kindness. We were spoiled by them and our tummy was very very happy on that day.

Teachers and Staff of my school had our buffet lunch at Makan Kitchen on the Teacher's Day. I believe none of us have ever dined in at the restaurant because they kept asking me about its location. At first, they were whining about the distance from our school but once they reached and had their lunch there, I saw quite numbers of them went to the counter and asked questions about the price and promotion (if any).

THE LOCATION:
This restaurant is at level12 in Double Tree by Hilton, Melaka which is at the Element Mall (the newest mall in Melaka, Hatten Group project). It's easy to get there because it's located at the end of the route of Jalan Syed Abdul Aziz (Mahkota Hospital route) and Jalan Melaka Raya 23 (Balai Polis Bandar Hilir / Muzium Penjara Malaysia, Melaka route).

THE SERVICE:
Everyone that I met was helpful and friendly there. I remembered on the first day I came to the hotel to make a booking, I met two of the hotel workers in the elevator (forget their name). Usually when you are in any elevator, you'll suddenly be mute but these two gentlemen broke the silence by having a conversation with my colleagues and I.

Then on the Teacher's Day, the bell boys, the waiters, the chefs, the FnB Outlet Operation Manager Mr. Khairulnizam are all very helpful and kind. I asked for extra chair for a teacher, and I didn't have to wait long for it! The waiter brought one for the teacher in less than 3 minutes (it was a full house on that day).

What I could see was "a happy working environment". Even though it was a full house, hectic with a lot of requests, they were still working with smiles and efficiently.

THE FOOD:
SUPER DELICOUS! I could see the satisfaction on everyone's face and when they told me that they love the food there, it made me so happy (because I recommend the place). They said the asam pedas was so nice, the lamb was so tender, the soup was delicious, the sate was fulfilling, the desserts were too yummy, the naan cheese was fluffy, and the list goes on..... in short, every meal that they serve is worth the money!

For your information, they have about 4 counters that serve different types of food based on different races/cultures in Malaysia mainly Malays, Chinese and Indians. So basically if you want to try Malaysian food, you can come to this restaurant because you can try all in one place! How wonderful it is, right?

My personal favourite is the coffee machine! Easy to operate and sooo soooo good the taste!

THE PARKING:
It's cheap. RM2 flat. Where can you get this cheap parking fee in any hotel???

THE TOILET:
There is no toilet in the restaurant but there is one nearby it (same level). The toilet is clean and spacious. What I love about it is, the water splash!!! I went to many hotels and sometimes these 4 or 5 star hotels don't provide water splash. Glad this hotel does have! (bonus point)

THE SURAU:
It is also at the same level of the restaurant. The surau is not big but comfortable enough for 5-10 people to perform their prayer. Unfortunately, there is only one tap. So you have to wait and take turn. But if you can't wait, just go to the toilet to perform your ablutions (wuduk).

Overall, I personally think that, you will not regret it if you want to dine or have event at this restaurant. Everyone is helpful and the Outlet Operation Manager , Mr.Khairulnizam is great in many ways. Thank you so much for everyone's kindness on that day.

1  Thank SnasiAlshatri
Abd Asri A, Manager at Makan Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear SnasAlshari,

Thank you for leaving us with a great review. I am delighted that our team members' hospitality has left a positive impact on your visit. Thank you for your positive feedback about overall service and facilities. We've duly noted your remarks about our Surau will definitely look into improving the overall service delivery. We look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka again.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Makan Kitchen the food spread is nice and excelent service by the staff at there and my family are really happy and enjoyed the serviced and really thank to the supervisor and the manager of the outlet. And very sorry i cant get to remember the staff name.

Dear Alagu K

Thank you for leaving us with an excellent review. I am thrilled to note that you were very impressed with the hospitality shown by our team members and that you loved our food here. We look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Buffet lunch had a good variety of food with high quality both in taste and presentation.

Good buffet breakfast spread. Price of buffet breakfast were a bit high for local.

Overall, great and friendly services. Love the buffet presentation that were very organised and well planned.

Abd Asri A, Manager at Makan Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Dear MHRYU,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your recent dining experience with us at Makan Kitchen. I am happy to note that you were impressed with extensive buffet spread and service that you have enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to again.