“Bed Bugs spoil the stay.”

River View Guest House
Ranked #15 of 211 Melaka B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Bed Bugs spoil the stay.”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

When we first arrive the hostel, the rooms look well maintain and clean. But once I flipped up the blanket, there were strands of hair and dust and dirt under it. Guessed the turnover rate of the hostel rooms were so fast that the host does not have enough time to thoroughly clean the rooms but simply swept the floor clean and arranged the beds neat.
Suspect the sheets were not change since hair and dirt were found under the tucked blanket. The blankets were definitely not changed which is a bad thing since the bed bugs can easily hide in the thick linen and remain hidden and not visible. Only realised I was badly bitten after the end of my 3D2N trip in room 3. It was my first time having such bad experience with beg bugs. Other than me, my two other guy friends were very badly bitten too. In fact, they discovered matured and baby bugs right after sleeping through the first night and got quite a few bites from room 7. Next morning after feedback, they had their rooms changed to room 2 (this was when I saw how the cleaner clean the room for next user. blankets are not change at all. So if infected, the next occupant will get the bug attacks as well.) Rooms were swept and sprayed with possibly the bed bug spray before passing on to my 2 guy friends. Yet, same thing happen. they were badly bitten as well in room 2 (room 2 is situated directly under room 7 so possibly the bugs travelled down.) Other wise the view of the hostel, the toilets, and the host even provides free complimentary cakes and pastry for the travellers.
Other than the bug issue, the stay is wonderful. Price is relatively competitive and location is walkable distance from the famous Jonker street.
If bugs does not bother you at all, this hostel will be a good deal for your travelling stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, pick rooms at upper level if available or buy an ear plug. Can be quite...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank wahju_korie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

What a perfect place to spent your holiday. Peaceful place, have a excellent view (straight to melaka river view), good facilities, great people.. this place really make my day. I spent my day with a cup of hot chocolate & cake. The owner will serve you a different cakes everyday. And trust me,the taste was so good♥

• Stayed March 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Wonderful river view, perfect location (in a quiet and central area) and very friendly and warm Malayan staff in the reception. The bathrooms/showers were good and a kitchen is available. Simple and clean rooms.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarasusername
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We booked 3 nights here - read lots of reviews on hostelworld and glanced at the good reviews on tripadvisor before booking. We didn't see any bedbug reviews on hostelworld (possibly because when I went to my account to review the hostel there the reservation showed up as cancelled and wouldn't allow a review - I guess Raymond cancelled it).

We stayed 2 nights. Similar to what others have mentioned the house is beautiful, the location is great, wifi is free, there is usually cake out in the morning (I didn't eat it so I can't review that specifically but others said it was good) BUT PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR THE BEDBUG INFESTATION because otherwise you will spread it to other hotels/hostels that you go to next on top of getting bitten here.

We stayed in the twin room #2 downstairs and at first we thought the place was great except for the overpowering 'weird' smell in the room which we couldn't identify. I asked to burn incense in the room and Raymond allowed it after turning off the fire alarm. Still I didn't feel comfortable in the room because of the smell and a couple of small gray/brown dot looking stains on the pillow/sheet so we slept in our sleep sacks, thank goodness because I think that saved us from the brunt force of the bug bites on night one. Also we went to bed late and got up early.

On night two however one of us slept in the sleep sack and the other slept out of it- and he ended up with about 30 or so bites on his back and arms. I happened to jump out of bed quickly that morning when the alarm went off and flip the lights on so I found one on my shoulder and then we pulled the sheet back and found another on the bed along with evidence (poop) of others. We killed both and showed them to Raymond who, without argument, offered to refund us the last night since we said we weren't comfortable staying there longer. He said he has the best bedbug killing spray from the U.S. already so it became obvious to us that this was not a new problem and after reading the poor reviews on trip advisor it looks like this problem has been ongoing since 2010, or else there have been multiple infestations month after month since then (room 8 and room 1 are also implicated).

We spent the next entire day (before going to another hotel) at a laundromat washing all of our things (bags included) in hot water and a hot dryer to kill potential stowaways, wiped our electronics and papers down with clorox wipes, scrubbed ourselves in a hot shower and sent our last set of clothes off to a professional cleaner. So it cost us a day of aggravation and money to sanitize all of our travel gear and ourselves so that we didn't carry the bugs with us and spread them to the next place. I agree with the other reviewer that it's not responsible of the hostel to keep the same mattress' and that just spraying the furniture isn't good enough - I know it's notoriously difficult to get rid of these bugs and I sympathize but it's also not okay to effectively potentially spread it further.

Room Tip: I suggest double checking for bedbugs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stephily
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for three nights on a recent visit to Melaka. We loved this quaint place especially the old wooden floor boards upstairs! We had a comfortable spacious room off the upstairs balcony which was a great spot to relax and pass time watching the boats go up and down and the daily life in the river houses across the river. cool and breezy. The bathrooms are small and a separate additional toilet would help but clean and big enough and adequate. I would rather have the authentic experience of this guest house than a clinical bathroom in a hotel. Downstairs kitchen area was clean we enjoyed being able to make tea when we felt like it. Breakfast not included but we prefer to eat out anyway, the bananas and cake on the table were a welcome extra. Overall excellent value, good location, welcoming host, terrific experience. TOP choice for me! And Raymond went out of his way to get a good deal on the taxi to KL for us.

Room Tip: ask for upstairs off balcony!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ElleM777
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This place was perfect for me.

I loved the creaky hardwood floors and steep stairs, in a classic building style for the area. It all added to the historical atmosphere of the area and I felt like I was really experiencing Melaka. One of my first impressions of Melaka was standing on the rear balcony looking out over the canel in the setting sun with the Muslim pray call eerily sounding out- magical.

The location was perfect: easily close enough in walking distance to the major sights of Melaka, and far enough that you're away from the noise of the Jonker's Night Market.

Heed the warning when booking: the toilet and shower are in the same room, 3 in total. When I stayed there it was totally full, so in rush hr there was sometimes a queue for a toilet visit. If you've been too adventurous in your food tasting that could be a problem. I stayed in the regular double room at the front of the building that faces the street, there was some traffic noise, and normally I would have utilized ear plugs, but I was so tiered by sightseeing that I fell asleep immediately. The hostel was full when I stayed and, while I wasn't actually in the hostel for long other than sleeping, I found the other guests quiet and respectful. My room also had a small sink and mirror, which was handy for brushing teeth etc. The bed and pillow where comfy, the sheets had some stains (looked like ink), but clean and in combination with the air conditioning I had a lovely sleep.

There doesn't seem to be any rooms that actually have a river view, but the common area balcony on the second story and the street access to the river are beautiful places to have a cooling drink and contemplate or chat with other guests.

Raymond, the owner, is delightful, attentive, helpful and laidback.

I would definitely recommend River View for people looking for a good value, convenient place with character, and who are looking for cleanliness but not luxury.

xox

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We booked this guest house after the good reviews on tripadvisor. For the price we were paying and the reviews, we were pretty disappointed. It is a hostel rather than a guest house.

Firstly, we were greeted by Raymond who seemed very precious, as if we were uninvited guests to his own home. I got the impression that he really didn't like dealing with guests. The style is shabby chic but lacking in the chic. Downstairs is quite nice, but our room upstairs reminded me of being a student, with random old furniture and smelling very musty. There was a lack of shared bathrooms too - just 3 in the entire place. Again they lacking as they are just cubicles, very old and small.

Breakfast is just a loaf of the cheapest white bread and some cake left on a table. If it's gone before you are up, then there's none for you. Great for the owners, poor for guests.

Service is by telephone and there is no reception so really you are on your own. To get into the guest house, you need to present a card to beep yourself in. With just one card between a couple sharing, it meant we couldnt separate. Great for the guest house owners, poor for guests.

It is outside a main road that is VERY noisy. I was woken up every day without fail because trucks and mopeds were whizzing past. It is difficult to cross the road outside.

The location is ok, close to the nice area but not actually in it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManiSarah, Owner at River View Guest House, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
We humbly thank guests for having booked with us and for the constructive feedback.
Reviews of guests of us are perhaps based on their individual expectations and may not relate to others. Guests have to make their own choices and we are definitely of backpacker hostel category and not an establishment with full services. .

We apologise if the ‘meet & greet’ service and décor/environment was not up to expectation. The building has been maintained in its original state and only suitable for those who are used to old/ Malaccan buildings. Yes, the house accommodates 3 toilet/showers for 9 rooms in the entire place.

We do not provide breakfast and have never done so since the guest house opened 5 years ago.

Guests may call us anytime for any assistance during their stay as we do not provide 24 hour reception/service. Guests are also welcome to request for extra key/cards if they are moving around separately.

If one wishes to stay in the residential and commercial zone, a certain level of noise is be expected. High rise brick buildings may guarantee quiet rooms but is not a criteria for UNESCO’s ‘residential and commercial’ zone where we are located.

We thank guests once again for the feedback.