“Character plus Comfort”

Jonker Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Jonker Boutique hotel is spotless and attractive. It provides top facilities without the impersonality of the typical hotel chain. Rooms are large and luxurius. There is a sense of Asian decor mingled with a nod to the colonial roots of the Melaccan past. Situated in the heart of the most interesting part of Melacca I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and certainly hope some time to stay there again.

Pip

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Philippa H

Reviewed 20 August 2011

This hotel was the final stop before our return to Europe and gave us all the peace and quiet , the home abroad feeling we could hope for after a month of travelling through Vietnam and Singapore. Not only is the hotel in a top location , the rooms beautifully refurbished, the bathrooms spacious but I was especially charmed by the warm welcome and friendly service .We stayed 4 nights and the last day our plane was round midnight so we would have to walk about inthe heat for a full day after check out . We asked to rent the room for half a day so we could stay there untill 8 pm . That was no problem and they charged us half a day only .

The room comes without breakfast but there is a possibility to have it next door. This is very basic . There are plenty of other places closeby where you can have english or continental breakfast though.

During weekends there is the famous streetmarket and there will be karaoke and breakdancing on the little stage in front of the hotel. The music can be loud ( although it stops at 10.30 pm ). If you have a room at the back you will hear almost nothing .

In short : I would return to this hotel and can recommend it to anyone .

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the view , rooms at the back are quiet ( important in the weekends only )
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dirk V
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for a day on Friday Night, booked the deluxe room at RM268 nett and requested for room 103 which come in King Size Bed. Bathroom is great, clean and with standing shower room. And seriously i don't feel the hotel is haunted though it is the Ghost Festival now. Very near to Jonker street and I can keep going back there at night time since nothing else to do other than walking along the night market. Will come back if I miss Melaka again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KL_SolCampbell
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My friends & I (ladies from 20's to 40's) were looking for a great place to stay in and stumbled upon the website for this hotel. I usually stayed in another hotel when I'm in Malacca but since its our first trip together we decided we would go for something better.

We chose to stay in room 101, room 206 & room 207. Room 101 & 206 belongs to Premier Deluxe while 207 deluxe room. I have to say, the rooms were great! No matter deluxe or premier, the rooms were clean, well maintained and stylish designed. Don't believe me though, see the pictures that I'm gonna upload!

If you're going to stay here, you'll be in close proximity to the Jonker market, century old church, antiques/novelty shops and whats not. Just a short walk in the morning and you can get to the famous chicken rice stores, Cendol (Jonker88) as well as hail a cab at the junction if you need to.

But you really don't need to.

As my friends and I were checking out after a really nice holidays, we had too much things and would hate to be standing outside to hail a cab on a Monday morning. So the kind receptionist helped us to call the local cabs at no additional charge (the usual cost was 15-20ringgit for a point to point cab ride in Malacca) but we were only charged 15ringgit and we need not worry about cab drivers misunderstanding where we wanna go at all.

I'm really not sure why the previous reviewer said its like a haunted house because I did not feel like anything's gonna climb up to me any moment... and I'm not sure if the reviewer knows that there's a second stair that he/she can use. The first stair could have been a old stair that is why its so narrow but the second one has a window beside and is wider and more comfortable to climb if you're holding items.

Wi-fi and connectivity isn't an issue and the people was nice in the sense that they called us up to check with us if we want the room cleaning later knowing we're probably taking a break in the room.

I like a place with clean rooms, good wifi connectivity, considerate and nice people while with really charming layouts and great location.

What about you? :)

Room Tip: Go to the home website of the hotel and they have the picture gallery indicating the room numbers.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank crazyshoots
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Had a great weeked last 8-10 July, 2011 at Melaka, Malaysia because of chicken rice balls and cendol! We stayed at Jonker Boutique Hotel. We booked a 1 Deluxe Room with one King Size Bed at RM 268.00nett per night at their website - www.jonkerboutiquehotel.com. Ms. Jesmine is very prompt in replying the emails and she even called me a couple of times to verify my booking. Upon check-in, according to the other reviews - it is better to stay at the 2nd floor because you cannot hear other people. But actually these are all wrong! I'd rather stay at the 1st floor (take note you still need to use the stairs to go up!) The stair is so narrow (I followed the previous reviews) and plus the Hotel is like a haunted house. And the walls of the room (except for the bathroom walls) were all just wood covered with a nice wallpaper - other people can hear you and you can hear them as well walking and talking.

One more thing, I didn't like the male receptionist when were about to check-out last July 10, 2011 as they didn't allow us to have a late check-out eventhough we check-in very late last 12:30 am of July 9, 2011. I think he is very inconsiderate.

The room has it's own charm but it is very old already. The even offer free wifi but unrealiable slow internet connection. The only thing I like is the bathroom which is newly renovated. The location is also great as it is located in Jonker Street but next time I visit Malacca, I will not ever stay at this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Request for first floor or suffer the curse of narrow stairs!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Flipzter
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Nice to have the night markets at the doorstep, shops, cafes and restaurants close by.
Good to have a small private car park in that area where parking would be hard to get.
We stayed in the premier deluxe room on the third floor. The room was very spacious, clean, nice and well kept. Good water pressure. Liked the shower/bath tub.
Bed was comfortable
Liked to wooden flooring.
Has the basics that you would need. i.e. room safe, bar fridge, TV, hair dryer and free wifi.
The karaoke at night was not the best, but bearable, all part of the night market atmosphere. Shuts off early enough not to be a nuisance while trying to get to sleep.
Bear in mind its not a full facility hotel...i.e. no pool, no breakfast included etc.
However, the room is excellent, staff are helpful and friendly and we would certainly return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bopsycola
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My family and I had a good stay at the hotel. We asked for a room with 2 double beds and for the top floor(to avoid the noise that a previous reviewer had mentioned). THe room is clean and stocked with bottled water, coffee/tea making facilities and bathroom toiletries. I find it great that they have the foresight to prepare 4 sets of everything i.e. 4 bath towels, 4 bottled water etc. We had no problems with the free wifi too. The staff at the receiption offered to take our luggage upstairs but we had travelled light and did not need their assistance.

Getting to the hotel was a bit more complicated with the one way road system, but once we got our bearings it was OK. THere was ample parking at the back of the hotel.

Walking up the steep and narrow stairs was definitely an experience. I would suggest elderly guests or people with health issues to avoid staying on the 2nd floor as it's not an easy climb.

Overall my family and I love this place and would love to go there again. The only thing that made me not very happy about this place was, we were charged an additional RM40 for the room because it was deemed peak(it was a Tuesday, Malaysian school holidays have ended) BUT they said the SIngapore school holidays were still on. If the hotel had been fully booked, I would have felt the additional RM40 was justifiable but the hotel was rather quiet on the the day we stayed there(no other cars parked there and we never really saw any other guests), so I felt the extra charge was not justifiable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family