“Best in Melaka by far”

Ranked #1 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Perth, Aust
“Best in Melaka by far”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Beautiful hotel right in the heart of Melaka. Stunning rooms and 6* service. Walking distance to all of Melaka's highlights, the only transport you will need is the obligatory ride in a tri shaw across the river. Having stayed in a few hotels in Melaka this is the best in the city by far. Food is great and well priced, happy hour RM5.00 Tigers and don't forget the roof top pool with its views over the city. The manager even came out to introduce himself and check how we were settling in. After opening in May, this hotel will very soon be #1 on this list.

Room Tip: River suite; two bedrooms two bathrooms, living area, private balcony, massive bath and three LCD TV...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PJW4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We were torn between Majestic and CDR as both reviews look good! Finally we decided to try out CDR as it was only 2 months old.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the staff at the front desk. Not only did they gave us wet towels, they even welcomed us with ginger lime sorbet. And, check-in was a breeze! We only had 2 duffel bags but they insisted on getting the bellboy to help us! The staff who did the check-in for us also walked us to our room to orientate us around our room.

The room is spacious and luxurious! We took the room facing the river and it was gorgeous! We ordered room service and the food is pretty good. It would be better if they could expand their menu though.

Tried the Satkara Signature Massage at Satkara Spa. I wouldn't rave so much about it but it was pretty decent.

CDR Melaka also has a beautiful infinity pool on Level 3. It was raining when we were there so we didn't get a chance to swim. Excellent view!

Breakfast was good and scrumptious. If you have breakfast included in your room rates, go ahead and order from the menu and you won't incur additional charges. Initially, we thought we could only have the buffet spread :) Having your breakfast outdoors is the way to go...

Here are 3 reasons why I would go back to CDR Melaka again...
1. Staff --> friendly, customer-service oriented, pleasant people
2. Room --> Love the fixtures, furnishing, spaciousness, deco
3. Location --> Right in the middle of everything that you would want to see in Melaka town, Everything is a walking distance away!

We unanimously agreed that we made the right choice!
- Marina + Johaness

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarinaJohaness
Malaysia
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed for 1 night recently on business and for pleasure. Check in was pleasant, done at the sofa instead of at the registration desk. We were given a cold tower and sorbet to freshen up. Check in staff was friendly. The whole hotel concept was done up in Mediterranean style. Location wise, it is the best amongst all 5* hotels, literally a stone's throw away from Jonker St and with a beautiful view of the river.

We were made to wait at our room for our luggage to arrive up. Probably due to lack of staff plus a large party checked in at the same time. Staff was apologetic when our luggage was brought up.

The room was fantastic, huge and clean. The bathtub was huge, big enough for two. Huge LCD tv and stereo that plays DVD as well. The toiletries were of good quality using natural products. You can smell lemon grass and other natural herbs from the gels and lotion. Very satisfied with the room.

The library serves fantastic coffee and gourmet tea but too bad about the reading materials. Magazine selection was very poor. I hope they would subscribe more magazines and some international newspapers would be a nice touch.

Breakfast was good, with a buffet selection and order the main course a la carte. Restaurant staff was friendly but again a bit chaotic when there's a large crowd. I had to ask twice to get my coffee refilled.

CDR is I think the most expensive hotel in Melaka, even more expensive that most 5* hotels in KL. For the price that I'm paying, I expect that something 'extra special'. CDR lacks that something 'extra special'. It feels more like a 4* service hotel with a 5* price and facilities. It can't seem to handle large crowds, like we experienced during check-in and breakfast.
In the room, we found a letter written by the hotel manager, saying he was eager to meet its guest. But when we saw him at the lobby, he was just standing there, without any smiles. He did not come over to greet or ask us if we needed any assistance! That's hardly 5* service. The staff were even though friendly, but not attentive enough. They don't greet customers, let alone call their names.

Overall, I still had a pleasant stay because of the staff friendliness and the excellent room and the hotel location. I hope they would improve on their service before I come back the next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NgMalaysia
CasadelRioMelaka_11, General Manager at Casa del Rio Melaka, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Dear Ng Malaysia

Your comprehensive and balanced review of casa del Rio is very much appreciated. While we have worked to provide the best possible service in the three months since we opened it is understood that there is always room for improvement.

You may be pleased to note that in addition to the complimentary coffee and tea in the Resident’s library we are increasing our subscription to a number of different magazines. This will include tattler, time, news week, national geographic, the economist, as well as to a several lifestyle and special interest magazines. In addition we have subscribed to a couple of copies of the Herald Tribune daily for guests who want to keep abreast of in depth international news. We are about to add another 100 books to current collection making it 300 books on offer to read. There will also be two internet terminals in place by mid August.

There are times when variable volume in arrivals can create bottlenecks in service. This may have contributed to your wait for the luggage. We will try to do better.

I will also look at what we are doing with our coffee at breakfast. Generally it is freshly brewed and placed on the table in insulated presses that offer 3 – 5 cups depending on the size so negating the need to replenish. It is regrettable that you had to wait for this nevertheless.

I am sorry for not personally greeting you in the Lobby. It is a genuine aim of mine to be to touch base with as many guests as possible. Sometimes when one is thinking and concentrating the smile can get forgotten. I do not however offer this as an excuse for me or any member of my staff. Thank you for the heads up....we, including me, will try harder .

The points you raised have detracted from your experience at Casa del Rio. Please accept my unreserved apologies for this as well as my assurances that we will continue to try to improve in these areas.

Many thanks for the positive remarks on some of the facilities and services we offer. I am glad that this has given you sufficient confidence in us to return at some point in the future.

Should you, or any reader of this review, feel I have not adequately responded to your posting then I would be happy to personally answer any query sent to me at info@casadelrio-melaka.com

Andrew Drummond
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 July 2011

1. This was a group of 30 one night trip. Booking was made earlier, so rooms were already assigned when we got there. However, we still need to register and when majority of us arrived at the same time, it was a bit of chaos. There were only two check in counter manned by three people. Personally, I reached there at 2pm but my room not yet ready. No issue for me. Can still wait.

The hotel concept of check in is different from other hotels I have been. When you arrived, notify any of the staff and just relax at one of the gazebos available. The staff will do the necessary and bring back documents for you to sign and key card to you. While waiting, you will be served a sorbet and a cold towel - just nice for a hot weather.

2. Rooms are excellent! Majority of us got Lago view (balcony overlooking the fountain pond in the courtyard) and couples of us got the River view (overlooking Malacca River and historical places). No complaint. The room is as comfy as you expect. Spacious. You can opt for ceiling fan to cool you down if the air-cond is too cold. Bathroom is great. Big bath tub and spacious shower area.

3. Towels are big - in fact too big for me :-) Who am I to complaint right? :-) Other amenities are basic. There is no disposable shaver or tooth brush. However, I read somewhere in the review that you can request them from the hotel.

4. Breakfast concept is slightly different - semi a la carte. Bread, fruits, cereal, drinks are available as buffet while the main course need to be ordered. Since we are in big group, they prepared a buffet styled breakfast. Me and a colleague ordered half boiled egg and sunny side up - only to be told by a trainee waiter that our request were chargeable i.e., we need to pay. Don't shoot the messenger - he just relayed the message from his supervisor, Sazali. I didn't want to argue and continue the limited choice of breakfast.

On the way back to my room, I was in the same lift as Jarrod Ang (if I got his name correctly). He seems to be the Manager in charge for the hotel. I complaint to him about the chargeable eggs. He was surprised and very apologetic. He informed me that should not happen - it was already part of the breakfast. Hope this miscommunication can be fixed soonest possible.

5. Parking is available at the only basement. If it is full, guests can park at the open space carpark across the street. The room access card also serves as entry/exit token for the basement. However, if you enter the parking before check-in in, do keep the parking ticket until you check out.

6. Overall, I am happy with my stay there. Staff did their best to make your stay pleasant. If not about the breakfast, I have no complaint about the hotel. Definitely will consider the hotel for my future visits. Lastly, the rate is a bit pricey though!

Room Tip: Request towards the end for a bit nicer view. There are also connecting rooms.
Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel (lago room) is a perfect choice if you wanna stay for honeymoon. The hotel ambience is romantic, the hotel staff is very friendly and make you feel very welcomed. This hotel gives me a different experience from other hotels. Im lovin it

• Stayed July 2011
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Stayed at Casa Del Rio Melaka for 3 nights , nice new hotel with very friendly staffs. Room was clean with real King-sized bed instead of 2 Queen-sized combined offer by others hotel.

Love the river-view room with a nice balcony, bathtub and rain-shower separated is another great design. Fast in-room broadband (free) & daily English Newspaper.

The breakfast is semi-buffet style, food quite average but as usual, the staffs provided great service and attentive to guest need. Free wifi at public places, which will be good if the room provided wifi service as well.

Overall, highly recommended hotel as it location is great, less than 5mins walk to Jonker Street and River Cruise.... it near most places of interest as well.... Thumb Up.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My family and I checked into Casa del Rio Melaka last week, as the location seems great - river view and yet within walking distance of Jonker Walk. As the hotel is barely 2 months old, we were keen to check it out.

We booked 2 Lagos deluxe rooms and a River Suite. If you have a bigger group, go for the suite. The 2 bedrooms and living room are super comfortable, and the river view from the balcony and the master bedrooom is just great. No complaints though on the Lagos rooms as we get a direct view of the lagos below and a "slanted" view of the river from the balcony.

Service from the front desk to the restaurant staff was unbeatable. They have definitely been well-trained to offer the best service possible, and in tune with a 6-star hotel service. After checking out, I found some discrepancy in my bill and called back to check. The reception manager did check and called me back to explain and went on to resolve the matter.

My only complaint is the housekeeping - I suspect they are still not fully staffed, as requests for coffee cups etc never materialised. I passed this feedback on checking out, and hope that this will improve on my next trip.

Jessie Lau