“Never been so wrong...”

Ranked #86 of 131 Speciality Lodging in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Never been so wrong...”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Me and my wife was looking for a cheap night stay.. juz a couple of hours of wink before continuing our journey from Singapore via night bus.. chancing upon this hostel.. and with all the good reviews.. decided to give it a try..
we will be arriving in malacca around 2am.. and we did our part in filling that out in the online reservation form....
To our dismay and horror... upon reaching with some delay at about 0250am.. nobody answer the door.. no one pick up the call. The phone numbers stated on the door belong to some guys who dont work there anymore..
After 20 mins we are finally let in.. climbing up to the 3rd floor reception area... to our horror.. we were met with a guy sitting on the sofa... sounding drunk... telling us... "me.. reception, me also boss... what you want..!" I explain that I have a reservation... n he cut in saying " I know you have a reservation... so what... look at time... its 3 o'clock.."
Upon hearing that.... I juz told him I will cancel the reservation.... n he replied "u want cancel... gd" all the while sounding drunk...

We juz head out the door and left....

Will never ever recommend
Don't wish for anyone else to be left in the lurch again...

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank CHerry X

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
chicago
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I tend to really trust the ratings on this site, so I was quite excited to stay at Backpacker's Freak Hostel. At the time of this review, the place has 4.5 stars, with over forty reviewers; this is why I'm so confused. I had to check to make sure that I had the right place. I've been traveling for some time; I've probably stayed at nearly 60 hostels at this point, all through Europe and southeast Asia-- this wasn't even my first hostel in Malacca. I don't have unrealistically high expectations, so, again, I just don't get how this place has such high ratings.

The building itself is pretty gross. The carpets all through the foyer and the stairwell are stained and sticky. The room they gave me, 204 I think, was literally the worst I have ever stayed in anywhere. It's this cramped, little, dirty coffin with no ventilation, yet there's inexplicably an oscillating fan mounted on one of the walls to blow the hot, stuffy air around the box. The odor could be described as a battle between mildew and air freshener. To the right of the damp, bedbug-infested mattress there's a stained old chair that one wouldn't want to touch, let alone sit in. The lighting is 'all or nothing'-- on the ceiling, there's one excessively bright fluorescent light. The sheets and blankets were dirty, the pillow was damp-- in my sleep, I accidentally rested my head on it the first night and I had a rash on the side of my face the next day-- the free towel was nice and clean. Like I said, I just don't get the high ratings. Perhaps I just got the worst room.

Even though, for my money, I'd prefer a decent room to a kind and helpful host, I know that sometimes a really good personal experience can compensate, to some degree, for the awfulness of the facilities. I've noticed that some other reviewers have talked about how cool Sean (the owner) is. Here's a description of my limited interaction with the guy:

When I arrived, he was so drunk he could barely stand up. I was greeted and checked-in by a member of his staff who gave me a brief tour and was showing me to my room when Sean appeared and told him that I needed to go back upstairs because the room wasn't ready yet (bear in mind that I arrived two hours after check-in). As I sat in the office, waiting for my room, Sean drank and guffawed with another guy who claimed to be German but had a decidedly French sounding accent. During this time, Sean asked a number of questions about me-- where I'm from, why I was in Malacca, how long I would be staying-- but interestingly, did so without ever addressing me directly; he'd ask the "German" or his staff member, they'd ask me, I'd respond and then they'd relay my answer to Sean. Strangely, this whole exchange transpired in English.

Finally, my room was ready. As I gathered my things, Sean spoke to me directly (!) First, he slurred something about my needs, his staff-- asking him or the German for help... 'Okay, sure' I said; then he said something completely unintelligible. When I asked him to repeat it, he scoffed and dismissively gestured me toward the stairs and then he and the German laughed it up.

The day I checked out, Sean was far more lucid. He lamented that he had not seen me for the whole two days of my stay. He asked me if everything was okay. Yeah, I said, fine. Are you SURE? ARE you SURE? he kept asking... It occurs to me that rather than put people up in substandard conditions and then be in the position of having to badger their complaints out of them at the end of their stay, why not simply address the worrisome issues that cause the whole situation in the first place?

After leaving BFH, I've come to a place that's cheaper, better situated and really superior in every way (I'll be writing the review for this place next, if you're curious). This place isn't fancy either, but you can tell the owner has put real time and effort into making the place comfortable.

Ultimately, my advice is that you just avoid BFH altogether. Although I’d be willing to pay a little more for better accommodations, that’s not even necessary in Malacca; you could easily find something better situated with vastly better accommodations for the same price or cheaper. If you must stay however, avoid room 204 at all costs.

Room Tip: If they try to put you in 204 ask for another room!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Jonathan N

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Lyon
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The host was very nice and helpful. The hostel has a great location, it's surrounded with eateries and it's five minutes from all the main attractions. Basic breakfast is included, would go there again if I went back to Melaka.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

stayed there on dec 2011. first time it's quite hard to find the location because the billboard was so small and you have to go upstairs to reach the hostel.

anyway, its location very near melaka's attraction such as taming tower, famosa, many museums, and melaka river cruise. you can go there only on foot. also a lof of restaurants near the hostel.
the owner also very friendly, nice, and so helpfull.

the room quite small, but still enough space to put your suitcase. the bathromm was ok.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The hostel is really basic but clean and located near everything.
Our room didn't had a bathroom so we had to use the shared bathroom (there's only one Western toilet). The owner is very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2013

In terms of memorable stays, they don't get much more memorable than this place - mainly due to the loose guy running the joint, Sean. We arrived at the hostel without a booking and without any knowledge of what the place was like. Sean was very helpful in sorting us out with a room for a couple of nights and providing information on what to do in the city, and he was only partially drunk at the time. While this place may not be everybody's cup of tea, with somewhat thin bedroom walls, his dog getting groomed on the kitchen table, and Sean's tenancy to hit the bottle/darts and nap during the afternoon, you're unlikely to find a more genuine place to stay. Sean will go out of his way to show you where to eat and drink, tell you what to and what not to do around the town, but most of all, provide the most entertaining of stays. The rooms are clean, as are the amenities, and the location and value are as good as you'll get.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BradWalsh
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 January 2013

the host is very friendly and knowledgeable in a ""freaky" kind of way about the workings of the city.maybe that's the reason for naming the place "Backpackers Freak's".my trip there was made easy and all the attractions are a stone's throw away from the hostel.the nights here in Malacca are vibrant during the weekends.night markets, street performers, deliciously affordable food everywhere 24/7 and friendly people around.for the budget traveller, this is a place i'd recommend because of it's location, access and value for money.have a memorable time in Malacca.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo