“Best quality: Hot shower”
Review of Hotel Hallmark Inn

Hotel Hallmark Inn
Ranked #90 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Best quality: Hot shower”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The room smelt unfresh, carpet looked old and somewhat dirty. Thankfully towels seemed clean enough. Traffic and cooking noises very loud at the corner room. The toilet layout was a bit inconvenient.

Counter staff are civil. Breakfast is basic - toaster, white bread, and various jams, fried noodles/rice, 1/2 types of tropical fruits, baked beans, etc. Coffee served is mediocre. Water dispenser (hot and cold) was helpful.

Stay away unless you NEED to stay in this area. The grocery store very nearby has some basic stuff, but shopkeeper will try (nonchalantly) to sell you something expensive (e.g. bird's nest). I went there 2 times, each time he tried his luck.

Room Tip: Stay away from corner near kitchen/traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed in this hotel twice.
First time checked in at 11:00pm, it cost me RM90+ and they give me small room small bed (look like a room for solo traveller). I don't mind the small room, because the furniture is very good and got water boiler to make cup noddle/free coffee. Bathroom is very nice too with hot water. Not bad, RM90+ only with free breakfast.

Second time checked in at 1:00am cost me RM108, this time they give me big room and big bed (only RM10 different and the room is a lot bigger! )

3rd time I went there at about 4:00pm wanted to check in but they told me all room fully booked already! After that time never go to that hotel again. (Wondering are they lie to me, may be they don't like solo traveller ?)
(I prefer walk in, seldom make booking in advance)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We had no choice but to stay here one night as all other hotels that we wanted were fully booked. Location wise is slightly away from Jonker Street but still manageable. In the vicinity, there is Jalan Bunga Raya where you can find good eateries selling localfare and also make-shift stalls along a dimly-lit lane at night selling shellfish, clams and BBQ cuttlefish which is vey popular with locals and tourists.

As I drive, I find the car park at the back of the hotel rather small with not many lots. It has a gate which closes up at night so I guess it's pretty safe parking your car there.

Front desk staff were rather dull and disinterested. Check-in was kind of deadpan. No one greeted us the minute we walked in although there were three people handling the counter. They looked bored, glum and without zeal. The Chinese man who checked us in was quite rude and curt when he asked for my booking reference because I could only produce my booking voucher electronically as I had no time to print the hard copy. I couldn't help but to slash marks for service and first impression.

The two rooms we acquired were quite okay in terms of room size. Wouldn't say it's new as some of the fixtures were falling apart.....could do with some refurbishment. Generally they are quite clean but the bathrooms do smell a bit. The beds are quite comfortable except that the bedsheets and quilt are very well used and washed so the material kind of looks and feels rough. They are also badly stained. The sheets also didn't smell fresh so I insisted that they had them changed whereby housekeeping obliged with much apologies. Wifi reception in the rooms was pretty strong.

The breakfast spread at the cafeteria was pathetic.......unappetising and needless to say, taste bad. We just ate whatever was 'edible' and then hopped over to the coffee shop just across the street to gorge on the delicious Wonton Noodles and Handmade noodles. We even had second helpings. The coffee shop seems to be very popular with locals and tourists alike. However the coffee there is mediocre.

Check out was a breeze. However, reception told us that we had to pay for a bottle of mineral water which we did not consume. Anyway, I checked their mini-bar upon check-in and also noticed 4 cans of coke and 3 bottles of mineral water, so where is the 4th bottle? Only Hallmark Inn Hotel can answer that question and of course I did not pay a cent for it. I wasn't born yesterday to be milked by them!

Overall, it wasn't a pleasant or comfortable stay at this hotel and we would not stay here again as there are much better and pleasant hotels offering value for money stays in mesmerizing Malacca.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ganadeline

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel treat all guests as 'would be thieves'. Its as simple as that. I read one of the long review here on tripadvisor (which warns me to stay away) but went ahead to make booking. Big mistake. The chinese guy in long sleeve at the reception is very gung-ho. No eye contact when talking and extremely rude. I wonder how he ended up at front desk. My patience hit limit when he avoided several questions regarding my bills (they charged me for minibar things that i didnt even touch). Gave him a piece of my mind and he finally gave up when the crowd started to swell. Its not the money. Its the rudeness that irks me the most.

Melaka is a wonderful place. Dont spoil your trip by staying in this hotel. I learnt the hard way.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank FaroukVanNistelrooy
KL
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Check in was quick. Room was quite clean although it was a smoking room. My room was 510. I do believe the air-con is placed in the wrong position. Not all part of the room could receive the cool air so it took a while. However, breakfast was a bit disappointing. The food was a bit below average.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: Walking distance to the Red House, River & Jonker Street. Takes around 15 minutes walk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KennyTG
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The hotel is located far away from Jonker Street which is about 15 minute walk. The surrounding have no tourist attraction whatsoever but do have a small coffee shop that sell local cuisine at very affordable price. I stay at this hotel was due to I've already purchased a Groupon voucher and have no choice to stay at the hotel. When first check in, the front office have 3 staff on duty, 1 male and 2 other female. The male staff was wearing a long sleeve shirt which I think is the manager in charge but he is the most rude staff I've ever encounter. While we were there, he was on the phone and used very poor English with a gangster style which is kind of scary. When one of the female staff couldn't find a thing that she was looking for and ask the male staff, the male staff didn't even offer to help and stare at her with a very scary eyes in front of the GUEST!! I did not felt any welcoming feeling at all. The other older female staff who serve us, did not make eyes contact when talking to us and when I ask what type of room I am getting, the male staff jump right in and tell us our room is a Double Twin but the Groupon voucher we are getting is a Deluxe Double. Immediately the male staff start to defending themselves even before I could utter a word out by saying that this is the fault of Groupon by misprinting the voucher and we could ask the Groupon to refund us. The hotel staff didn't even think for the guest and give the guest the best they could by offering us the Double, as we are travelling as couple. Instead they ask us to go and have a refund. What a stupid way of solving things. The room we get was so SMALL, the wall and the bed was almost meet together and there was little room for us to walk pass. Most of the time I kicked on the bed end or knock on the TV that was hanging on the wall. The shower was so small and also the bed was shaking very badly and gives out a lot of sound when we turn our body or just sit on the bed. The bed sheet is worn out but the hotel did not care to change to a new one. Cable channel is limited with some of the channel have bad reception which I do not understand why it will happen in a cable channel. Even though I had requested a room that is not facing the road, but they didn't provide us a room not facing the road, it is a little bit noisy when cars are driving by. Restaurant at the hotel offer food a little bit higher price than outside with taste worst than outside restaurant. Morning breakfast buffet only contain Fried Rice, Fried Mee, Egg, Bean, 2 kind of fruits, white bread with Blueberry, Peanut Butter, Butter and Kaya to choose from. Beverage is Coffee, Tea and fruit juice which I did not even drink because it's look like make from cordial. When checking out, the staff ask us to pay for a bottle of mineral water which they say we "drink" from the mini bar. Lucky enough, I checked the mini bar right after we go in the room and there was only 4 can of drinks and 3 bottle of mineral water and the staff eventually let us go off.

There is a lot more better hotel located nearby Jonker street and also nearby those malls.

Room Tip: There are a lots more better hotel located near to Jonker street with better and more polite service...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KW_Foo
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Nothing really good to say about the hotel but not much bad as well.

Room was basic and small-ish. Not very small but also not spacious. A bit old but not craving renovation just yet (considering the price - you don't expect shiny new room at that price). In-room WIFI worked fine.

The only thing I really didn't like was the breakfast. Not much of a choice, not much western food like eggs or saussages - only toast bread was western-ish. Besides, some noodle and rice and chicken (with bones) and that kind of stuff, but also not that rich in choice.

Contrary, the a'la carte food in restaurant is quite good. I had a quite good ginger chicken rice (boneless chicken this time).

Location is quite good - ten minutes walking from the old city centre and all the sights. It's actually inside a Chinatown but not that tourist-oriented old-Chinatown which you will find about in the travel guide. It's authentic and bustling Chinese quarter with shops, more shops and restaurants.

Now: great tip for a perfect Chinese food and an unique atmosphere of a place where Chinese people go in evenings to eat together. I didn't write down the name of the restaurant but it's easy to find. Walk out of the hotel and go right. At the junction turn left and just behind the corner you will see a chinese temple to the right. Walk through the gate and you'll find it inside. It opens at 5pm so go in the evening. The experience is great. There are whole families gathered together - often three generations dining together at a table. You will see 8-10 people at most tables (tables are round and big) - this is how Chinese are eating together among family or friends. It's not only eating but a social experience for them and they truly know how to enjoy friendship, family and time spent together. Oh, and the food is excellent too and quite cheap.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo