“Paper thin walls”

River Panoramic Guest House
Ranked #67 of 227 Melaka B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 April 2014

If the tacky, worn-down decor doesn't put you off then the paper thin walls just might, as we could literally hear every single movement our fellow guests were making (the fact that they were behaving like stereotypical Chinese tourists - e.g. slamming doors and stomping the floorboards on their way to the bathrooms - only exacerbated the problem).

The guest house's location is in a somewhat remote corner on the edge of the Old Town, though this really isn't an issue given historic Melaka's small size. It is, however, located by a markedly unattractive bend in the river. As such, unlike the superior River View Guest House, River Panoramic has little in the way of a view apart from a ghastly multi-storied concrete structure, which can be admired from a spacious if rather charmless patio located at the back of the guest house.

While Jonker Street may be an extra ten minutes' walk away, it is ridiculously close to a 7-11 convenience store as well as the various excellent (if nondescript) late-night hawker stalls that line Jalan Hang Tuah. Both are accessible via the riverfront walkway, which goes under a road bridge. Catching a bus to Melaka Sentral is also highly doable due to the bus stop's close proximity.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed only 1 night,got room in a 2nd floor. Room & bathroom is ok, clean and basic. When we arrived already late,but we still hear music bar next to the guesthouse so loud and people chattering at the back.they have thin wall man's snooring can be heard loudly. In the morning, we still hear big steps of the people going around from room to the back..oh God..how can we sleep well. This is because the wooden floor.

All the bad is covered by friendly owner. I guess the owner is family, husband and wife, the wife help us so much if we need anything.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Like most of the traveler, i did my research of this place. Most of the complaint i read was about the noise coming from the pub next to the house. For my trip, fortunately i found that this claim was a bit over the top. Sure you can hear some noises but it just not to the point that would make you awake. The owner i do believe is a husband-wife. I met with the wife first, who was really friendly and the husband later at night. She showed the room, small as expected for a budget place yet clean and cosy. A bit complain is that the wooden floor on the second floor will squeak when walked upon, so that was a bit annoying. Other than that this guesthouse is worth the money due to its location which really near to attractions and its friendly service.

Room Tip: Preferably take the first floor rooms, a bit far from the noise coming from the pub and chose the fa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Location is good and room was good enough, but bathrooms could definitely use some love and noise can be an issue. If you're on a budget, I reckon it is a great choice though! It is quite close to town and we didn't have any hassles while staying there. Also, awesome dog. :)

Room Tip: They have a shuttle service to the bus station even though is not advertised anywhere - just ask on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diogo F
Reviewed 17 October 2013

1. family with kids who are traveling on a budget
2. those who are looking for a cheap and clean place to sleep in.
3. people who want to be close but not at the center of the tourist crowds (about 10-15 minutes walk to chinatown)

they offer free
1. wi-fi access... just ask for the password from the receptionist/owner.
2. coffee, tea, and hot and cold water... it's in the kitchen area, ASK the receptionist/owner where it is as it is a bit "hidden". It was not until on our 3rd day that I discovered the kitchen area and the freebies in it.

*LAUNDRY MATTERS
When we were there, we had to buy some clothes since we were told that laundry places are closed every Friday and on weekends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Before I booked the room in this guesthouse, I saw all kind of reviews, either bad or good. I struggled quite a while but at last I decided to book it since my last trip to Malacca I stayed in a guesthouse nearby and I would regard it as a terrible stay, so I was telling myself nothing could be worse than that.
When I first stepped into the guesthouse, I was so glad that it looked much better than the other guesthouse that I stayed at last time. The room that I booked was a family room with 2 single beds and 1 queen bed. The room is very neat and clean and quite spacious. There is also a kitchen where you can eat there and there is also a water dispenser. There are 2 washrooms at ground floor, and 2 more at first floor which equipped with heater. The washrooms are very clean.
Besides that, there is a little space behind the guesthouse where you can hang out with your friends or family members with the nice river view. If you think you prefer a higher view, there is also another balcony on the first floor, where you can eat or chat or drink there.
If you are an animal lover, you would be happy to see the owner's dog and cats running around the house. =)
The dog is so cute and welcoming and won't scare you at the same time.
The only down side of this guesthouse is there is a bistro and lounge just next to it, so you would hear someone singing songs till late night. Personally, I can still accept it since the sound is very low in my room, barely hear it, so I'm fine with that.
If you ask me, I will definitely consider this guesthouse when I revisit to Malacca again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Booked a room for a weekend and in the description of this place was written river view and also in the pictures shown. Unfortunately went there, at 1 pm as check in time was 2pm, the owner asked for RM 10 for early check in, after paying RM 100++ for booking and tax fess, owner was so money minded for RM 10. I paid for it, according to him he has upgraded the room to bigger room(we were only husband and wife i dont see the point y I need a bigger room,but I just went with it). I asked him can I have river view room as I have requested during my booking, he said No river view is only for family room. I was shocked and upset, if this was the case, in the booking websites they should state that river view room is only for family room, dont mislead the customers as I booked this place to have river view. As we went in the room, mosquitos flying around in the room and owner told me because of the river and he will spray later when we go out, I mean you should have ensured the room to be in good condition before you even charge me the extra RM 10. The room we got was a nonsense, was in the middle of the house, and there was this lady screaming away in the kitchen could not even take a nap.Also in the booking website they did not indicate that the washrooms was separate from the rooms like a normal house, it just states sharing bathroom I thought it was 2 rooms sharing 1 attached bathroom, I went in the washroom was so messy the mop squeezer container was in the basin, how do I wash my hands on that filled basin?Decided to go out and look for another hotel. Found a new hotel LKS Hotel, clean with attached bathroom near the town for ONLY RM90 a night I REPEAT RM 90 and that was instant walk in booking. They had a car park in front of the hotel and owner assured us he will look after our car at night. Immediately checked out from the guesthouse and had a pleasant stay in LKS hotel. I do not recommend this place as the owner was not considerate at all..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 140Jessy
riverpanoramic, Owner at River Panoramic Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

thk you very much ..