“Classic hotel with amazing service”

The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka
Ranked #22 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur
“Classic hotel with amazing service”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We chose the hotel based on past reviews and thought staying in a colonial styled hotel would be an interesting experience. After a 2 night stay, my family and I are truly impressed with the rooms and the service rendered. My mother was experiencing some difficulty in walking due to a recent injury and upon seeing her walking slowly with a limp, we were quickly offered a wheelchair without us even asking for it. Check in was also efficient. Both the Management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. We particularly loved the night ambiance as the LED lighting evokes the timeless feeling of romance and adventure of the East India era. Even the uniforms are styled after the early century.The open air Balcony creates a perfect atmosphere for our family gathering too. Most importantly it is literally just minutes away from the famous Jonker Street. We would certainly come back to The Sterling !

Room Tip: The Riley rooms overseeing the carpark is quieter as it's on a separate wing by it's own
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear 101Tigerlily

Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel.

Our policy is to always try to make our guests welcomed and comfortable. We do have a wheelchair on standby to assist our guests, especially the elderly to move around more easily.
We are happy to be of service during your stay and cannot be more pleased with your
pleasant experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

The Management and Staff of The Sterling, Malacca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Sterling has provided excellent services for my boyfriend and I. We were given a complimentary upgrade to Riley room when they know that I'm planning a surprise birthday trip & it was our first time to Malacca. The room was big, comfy & pretty! Not forgetting the jacuzzi bathtub that relieve our tiredness after walking around the whole day. We even receive some complimentary tarts as welcome gift.

The complimentary drink, pineapple juice, however was rather disappointing and their outdoor bar could have been better with more tables & chairs arranged for customers to chill out. Probably have some music playing in the background would have been better.

The hotel manager/staff responded very quickly when we inform them about the faulty headlamp and shower head. Everything was fixed while we were out shopping. When we return back to the hotel, they even get a staff to demonstrate how to operate the jacuzzi.

The breakfast has a few variety which was good enough for me, even though it is not the usual buffet style. I love the setting of the dining area, which is really classy.

The hotel is about 10-15min walk to jonker street & Christ Church which is quite convenient.

However, it will be pricey for a budget trip but definitely a great choice for couples who're looking for a romantic place to stay.

Overall we really enjoyed the stay in here. We LOVE the room, the design of the hotel, the service & the location. Once in awhile, it's really worth to indulge in such lovely hotel. Thank you Sterling~ =)

Room Tip: Get the Riley room for 2 pax if you have the budget. The jacuzzi is really worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank twofivefeb
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear TwoFiveFeb,

Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel and services.

At The Sterling, we endeavour to rectify any problems that might occur during one's stay, and rest assured that we will try to make that memorable day extra special!

We have changed our welcome drink to suit the requirements of our guests, and as of now, we are looking to implementing an array of welcome drinks rather than fruit juices and punches.

Our hot served breakfast remains the special item of our hotel as opposed to buffet spreads.
As indicated before, we do have a selection of beverages, juices, cereals, fruits, and breadrolls for those who prefer to help themselves before their hot meal arrive. This as a result of observation of guests preferences whenever we experienced as full house status.
We do however serve all our main meals freshly prepared from the kitchen.

With our proximity and private driveway and carpark, The Sterling offers that little extra for guests looking for that added luxury and privacy.

Resident Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The hotel management and staff were very helpful and friendly. The location is excellent, in the middle of Little India and 10 minutes walk to Jonkers Street. Free wifi in the room. Room was very large.
Cons: The restaurant. The waitress was so slow, we wasted an hour waiting for breakfast while we had a limited amount of time in Melaka.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SamMLM
Dear SamMLM,

Thank you for your taking time to review our hotel.

The Management has always stressed on the need for prompt and precise service as demanded by our guests, however we do face these challenges especially so whenever one of our staff call in sick.

As a result of the recent reviews, we have now engaged new personnel to counter this issue, and hope that we will be given the opportunity again to provide service to you during your next visit.

We would also like to take the opportunity to announce that we have now secured the use of facilities such as swimming pool and gym for our guests who prefer to also have some time to relax other than sightseeing.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Sincerely
Resident Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We booked this hotel out of no choice, because all the hotels, guest house in Melaka were fully booked on that day.
But we are extremely happy and satisfied with this hotel.

The hotel has no air con on that night that we stayed, I called the reception and they told me that they are really working hard to solve the issues and hope that the air con will be up and running soon. Well - as long as actions has been taken then I have no further complain. Our home air con used to break down as well, right ?

After about an hour, the air con was still down, so the staff brought us a fan. With the windows open and fan we found it is really acceptable and you won't feel stuffy at all.
In fact, my boy friend have a good night sleep because he prefer the non-air con environment.

The air con problems have not fixed at the point of time we check out the hotel. I was expected the hotel staff to give us some explanation, not to make a fussy complaint against the hotel but at least we need to be informed what's going on...

And here comes with the surprise. Before I start to ask, the staff informed us that the room was make to be complimentary. This was something that we never expected, with all the effort put in to solve the air con problems, the polite staffs at reception desk, the quiet environment, the nice locations (only 10 mins walk to Jonker Walk) and the brilliant management team, I'd like to recommended this hotel to everyone if you have the right budget.

Once again, thanks to the management team in The Sterling hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear KKK,

In the past 10 months that we have been opened, we have faced many challenges, but our main priority is to always ensure that our guests would experience a pleasant stay in our hotel whilst soaking in the sights and sounds of historical heritage Melaka.

Our location within the heritage zone gives us an edge over other hotels, and having adequate facilities is something we aspire to offer our guests.

Unfortunately, on your trip we experienced a breakdown in one of our outdoor air conditioning compressors resulting in the cut off in AC power to some rooms. We were also fortunate enough to have been able to secure new air cooler blowers from a electrical distributor down the road who is a friend.

Despite our efforts, we could not recover the situation without help from our air conditioning contractors which arrived the next day. As such, we felt that by waiving the charges for rooms would have been best to express our regrets of the incident.

We would like to thank you for your kind words, and especially so for your understanding of the much regretted incident.

We do sincerely hope that you will return soon, now that we have also secured the use of recreational facilities from a nearby club.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently and found it to be very strange indeed. First off, it's overpriced and I wouldn't describe it as a boutique hotel exactly. It may only have 37 rooms but it looks massive and there are miles of impersonal hallways. I'd say it was a slightly fancy Premier Inn with delusions of grandeur. We stayed in a Leyton Room - all the rooms are named after "something to do with Britain" , for instance, The Churchill or the Brighton and interestingly, The Stoke Mandeville. And I pity the staff having to wear colonial fancy dress complete with knee socks and boots. We stayed in a Leyton Room, which I believe is their standard double. The bed was comfortable enough and clean and the shower, when I figured out all the various knobs, was good but sadly lukewarm at best. Plus the bathroom is way too dark owing to it being decorated in some black, lumpy stuff which is not only painful to walk on but difficult to clean properly I imagine. Oh and boutique hotels generally don't have cheap plastic toilet seats and half a thin loo roll.
Breakfast was ample and not particularly good and we were the only two people in the room. It was almost spooky! The staff were charming and managed to sound knowledgable without imparting any actual knowledge.
The location is fine, five minutes walk from the old town and to the Dutch heritage area.
It wouldn't be the end of the world to stay here but hotels need SOME life in them! It's not enough to try to look posh.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Priss58
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear WalkaboutSussex,

When The Sterling was in its conceptual stage, we placed emphasis on British influence, and with a building redesigned with Eduardian period elements, choosing the name and branding was made easier. Hence, our uniform are also adapted from Colonial era 'Planters' outfit.

The historical heritage city of Melaka boasts a number of buildings from the Portugese and Dutch era, and this has contributed much to the rise of Malacca as a choiced holiday destination. Unfortunately, most building from the colonial era are used as administrative centres and museums, hence there isn't a lot for guests wanting that connection.

With guests' comfort in mind, The Sterling has modern elements in the building rather than out, with the adage 'Old from outside, new on the inside' appllying.

Our pebbled wash bathrooms are designed with that in mind, and pebbled washed elements are often found in hotels though often related to pool and spa areas. The use of this kind of flooring in the shower and bath also provides a safety aspect of the flooring, making it non slip.

We do apologise if you have found these to be areas where we fell short during your stay.
Nevertheless, we do hope that you will be fair in judging us for what we are.

Resident Manager,
Pinjarra
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We were booked to stay at the Majestic Hotel but they were overbooked so they booked us into the Sterling. We looked at their website and from the photos it looked very nice and very newly opened. They seem to have some serious problems with damp as the wall paper was already peeling off the walls with mould underneath. The bathroom looks spectacular with a huge spa bath/shower, but was very complicated to work out what to do! And clambering in and out to have a shower was not easy. Would have been a lot better to have had a separate shower. On our last night and next morning there was no hot water. There were very few people staying at the hotel and almost no one dining so there wasn't much atmosphere in the restaurant. We were there just 2 nights and on our second day we came back to the hotel having been out all day, to find that our room had not yet been serviced which was disappointing. Our expectations were sadly not met.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BoutiquePinjarra
Dear Boutique Pinjarra

Thank you for your invaluable feedback.

Although we have been operating for almost ten months, our building is still under warranty from the building contractors. Unfortunately, we have had to face water seepage issues in a room or two. This is because we are using restored wooden window frames and this had inadvertently contributed to the dampness issue.

Maintenance work is ongoing, and the affected rooms will undergo a complete change of wallpaper as well as sealing in of the window frame. This we have been told by our designer that it will stop any further seepage and damage to the room interior.

We have also had feedback from other guests about certain jacuzzis that are not user friendly.
In this aspect, we are re-engaging the supplier to redesign the steps to provide better access.
We are also pleased to inform our guests that there is the option of taking our Brighton rooms which also comes with a separate shower stall as well as an outdoor jacuzzi.

We thank you once again for your feedback which we value immensely.

KL
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed at the Sterling from 16 July till 18 July. I arrived at the hotel around 4pm. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a hotel staff who helped me with my luggage. I went to the reception to check in (receptionist was very polite) and I was told that the standard room that I booked (Leyton) is experiencing air-cond problem so they upgraded me to Riley, without any extra charge! I was so happy to hear that and I was happier when I see the room. Its huge!

The room has a flat screen tv, mini bar, hair dryer, a sofa and the best part is, my own Jacuzzi. Since I drove all the way from KL, I was looking forward to have a long bath. There is an instruction on how to use the jacuzzi however, upon pressing the water jet function and bubble bath function, it makes a loud jet like sound and the water shoots up the ceiling like a fountain! I find it amusing and shocking at the same time. So I just turn the function off and treat my jacuzzi like a normal bath tub. I enjoyed my bath nonetheless.

I walked to Jonker street (which took me 10mins) to have my dinner. I also walked along the river and watch the river cruise.

Breakfast was awesome. I chose the western set on my 1st day and heritage set on my 2nd day. I enjoyed both equally as the portion is big. The teo chew porridge was so delicious. The service was efficient although there was only one waiter serving the guests.

I enjoyed my welcome drink on my 2nd night I was there at the Balcony as the view was breathtaking and the server, Iman was friendly and he shared wonderful stories with me whilst I nurse my drinks.

On my last day, I call the reception and asked whether I could extend my stay till 1pm. The friendly reception happily extend my stay and advise me to bring my access card to the reception if I'm going out of the hotel so that they can reprogram the card. As I just need some more time to pack up my stuff and enjoy my bathtub, I told her that I'm not going out and will only be in my room.

Checkout was a breeze and a staff helped me to take my luggage to my car.

I had a great time at the The Sterling and I hope to come back again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
TheSterlingMalacca, Manager at The Sterling Boutique Hotel Melaka, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear Tioman Chick,

We cannot express how much it means to us when guests take their time to share their experience both good and bad about their stay here at The Sterling without which, we will be unable to focus on areas which we lack.

Unfortunately (or fortunately in your case) our air-conditioning system experienced a catastrophic failure affecting part of our hotel during your period of stay which resulted in us having to readjust the room allocation as required.

Our jacuzzis are standard jacuzzis and operate no different from others that are available elsewhere. Perhaps more care on our part is needed to explain to guests how to operate it. The jacuzzi air jets operate at best when water levels are optimum, filled over these air outlets.
We have now asked our staff to first inquire from guests checking in to these rooms if they will need help to operate it.

Thank you too for singling out Iman who is one of our pioneer staffs for his friendly and efficient service at The Balcony.

We are happy to note that overall, your stay was a good one and hope that you will share your experience with your friends.