“Average coffee”

Mods Cafe
Ranked #23 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Melaka
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Average coffee, my hot mocha tasted more like hot cocoa instead. Min 1 order per pax. I couldn't rationalize that rule. No wonder the waitress insisted that she stand there until i put in my order (asked her to put in my friends' orders first cuz i couldn't decide and they don't to wait). Persistent much? Minimal dessert choice. No snacks. Just cheese cake, tiramisu and creme brulee. This place has nothing to hype about. Not even the minivan imo. Would rather go for starbucks any day.

6  Thank Kelljl

Reviewed 21 April 2014

A friend suggested coffee at Mods after lunch. This was her second visit, and we almost missed this cute cafe as there were no clear signage. I only saw the word "cafe" on one of the pillars from the direction we were walking. And gave it a miss. The word "Mods" was on the other pillar. Hahaha! It'll be a pity had we gave up halfway and not turned back to try search for it again.

This is a tiny cafe, with limited seats. Most of the space were taken up by the icon of the cafe - the orange Volkswagen van. I've run through some of the photos uploaded by reviewers here. Can tell that there have been some changes compared to the past. I saw the cafe was not air conditioned before this and the tables are not the same. Now it's nice and cooling inside - a great place to escape the heat for a while!

My cup of cappuccino was really nice. The price was what you would pay at high end coffee house, but hey, the quality is there. There's always cheap local coffee everywhere around Jonker if anybody thinks that it's not worth paying for the coffee at Mods.

There are signs that says minimum one drink per person. It's reasonable to me. The place have only that few seats. If you are not having something, then it's not nice to hold up people's chance of doing business. One drink is not very much to ask for. They are specialized in coffee, so don't expect a full food menu, but I see some cakes though... Did not order any, as we are still full from lunch. Was busy admiring the deco and taking photos anyway. Lots of vintage stuffs in this small space. And that one van alone is special enough to have me walking the length of the shop a few times. Did not encounter rude staff screaming at me or stopping me from taking photos though.

No wifi. I think the reason is so that customers will come purely for the drinks, enjoy the surrounding, then leave and make way for others. Can't afford to have customers taking up the seats and stay for few hours with just one drink!

Nice place, will recommend to friends, and will be back.

2  Thank corrine6
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Yeap... talking about something special... yes, indeed. This place that tourist that would love to throng. Our stomach was full when we were walking along the streets near Jonker Streets... suddenly some cute looking coffee shop appeared in front of us. Since tired, just went in to have some sips.
To our delight, there was a classic VolksWagan van cum coffee mobile, in the shop... it was fully equipped with all the coffee makers, tools and those coffee was made from this van. The color of the van was so fresh... orange with flowers..
The shop decoration was simple and awesome. Though not many tables, luckily we found one for us. We ordered some drinks and well, you need to order drinks here... no free sitting.. haha. That's how they survive, they won't get paid for only admiring the van and cute shop..
Ordered cafe latte and expresso...taste good though I am not a big fan of coffee...
This is something that the new generation need to bring forward the Jonker Street... not always selling same stuff outside there.... enjoy your coffee here..

Reviewed 10 March 2014

What a cute place. Happened upon it entirely by accident - it looks like a random garage from the outside (and it has a very nondescript sign that says "Espresso Cafe" or something like it). Inside they have stuffed a cute little painted van. Delicious coffee and shortbread, and lovely light music from different parts of the world. Decor was also lovely. One of my favourite memories of Melaka.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

A small door on a business shop, not friendly to customers
Bad attitude... ask for bill they shout out on yr bill amount than u need to go to their counter and pay? What kind of this services? 4 staff in the shop services is bad no food to order.

4  Thank sg790105