“Good riverfront location”

Ranked #107 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Newcastle, NSW
“Good riverfront location”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel is located right by the river and close to Jonker Street. We had a room on level 7 which meant very little traffic noise, which may not be the case if you were on lower floors. This hotel is not new and carpet is a bit worn and stained in places, and the toilet cistern ran constantly despite us asking to have someone to have a look at it. This appeared to be the same in the two other rooms used by our friends. The breakfast had a lot of variety in the restaurant facing the river. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We would be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a high level to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
nepal
Reviewed 11 September 2013

we stayed 2 nights at this hotel enroute from singapore to Kuala Lumpur.
Location is fairly good - easy to find, right on the river and riverwalk. took about 10-15 minutes walking to town and tourist attractions along river front (turn left as you exit hotel) , river ferry available outside hotel
room was a bit old, but serviceable, view over river, air conditioning, ensuite clean, minibar.
buffet breakfast had a lot of asian cooked food as well as different breads, cereals, egg station, sausages, fruit. nice views looking at river, but not enough tables. some people had to wait for others to leave so they could eat.
staff were friendly and helpful

Room Tip: higher floors have better views and less noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked a one night stay in the hotel with my boy friend from the UK and we were both rather disappointed with our stay. Here are our reasons.
For one, the hotel had a signage leading up to it, which we both thought was quite convenient as we don't know Melaka roads. One signage said 1.2km away and the next one said 500m away, which means, we should spot the hotel in no time. However we didn't and kept driving around. When we called the staff to ask for directions, the first guy we spoke to seemed to know his directions well and I was quite satisfied with his response, however being foreign to the roads in the city, we got lost again and ended up in AEON, which I think must be a rather prominent place for anyone in Melaka to provide directions from. However when we called the staff at the hotel again, they seemed to take us round and round and got irritated and eventually hung up. The next person we called, wasn't sure of any of the roads we mentioned and was quite rude saying "No, don't go up the bridge!" in the a rather harsh tone. The signage wasn't lit up at the time of the night we were there, you cannot expect people who are not from the area to notice where your locations are what with driving in busy streets such as Melaka!
That was one. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no warm greeting or anyone offering to take our bags - which is excusable, I suppose not all hotels provide porter services, but not even directing us where the lifts are or how to get to our rooms is inexcusable!
Furthermore there was a bad smell on the 7th floor leading to our room. The room itself however was rather pleasant I have to admit. It was quite spacious and I was surprised that we got it at such a good rate too. It was very clean and the bathroom had a nice big bath tub which was also surprising as opposed to just a shower area. I was most satisfied with the condition of the room - well done on that.
Upon checking out, I was required to pay a RM2 amount for 'tax-relief' which I truly did not understand. We were asked for a deposit of RM50 when we checked in, but upon checking out and expecting to receive the RM50 the reception staff asked for RM2 instead and said "Instead of giving you RM48, we request for RM2 and return you the RM50" How am I as a guest to understand what this means? After starring at the staff blankly he could only repeat, "RM2, please," instead of explaining what this RM2 was about. A different staff came by and said some mumbo jumbo about tax and they charge RM2 because we spent a night with them. I still could not comprehend this but paid the RM2 anyways, as I just wanted to get out of there. If I've paid a tax on my room upon booking it what is this RM2 requirement for? Perhaps a better explanation was required?
Apart from good location, clean room and a good view from our room - the staff were very unfriendly not at all helpful and certainly lacked any customer service skills. I highly doubt I will recommend this hotel for future references unless my friends and family just want a good place of lodging and are willing to ignore the staff and services rendered.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Alor Setar, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We arrive in Malacca for a symposium at another hotel (which was fully booked at that particular time and thus the remaining delegates had to be given alternative accommodations) late in the afternoon, only to be greeted with an extremely slow service in checking in. There were quite a bunch of people who were already waiting in the common reception area, some were even seen frustrated from the long queue. It took us about half an hour before successfully checking in and by that time, we were already very tired. The rooms were kept tidy and clean and were pleasant for an evening's rest. The washroom was up to par and the view from the room looks out directly onto the Malacca River - which was by far, the best welcoming sight we've seen by the time we reach the hotel.

I'd say the plus points for the hotel would be of its strategic location. It only takes about 5-10 minutes walk to the famous Jonker Street and another 10 additional minutes before you land yourself in the historical landmarks of A Famosa, Stadthuys and the St Paul's Church. The other museums are located within walking distance as well and one can opt to take stroll along these parts without getting lost as signage here are quite reliable. Strategic hotspots of the famous chicken rice balls and satay celup can also be found within the area of the hotel as well.

A tip to note is that should you require your laundry done, it's best to get them delivered early through the reception area as they would be collected and outsourced to a nearby laundry shop. In view of the bulk of workload the laundry has to cope, there may be some slight delays in the returning of your fabrics. This is from a personal experience and an encounter that I would have hope could be avoided for prospective travellers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It was my first time with my family to have a short stay at Best Western Wana Riverside Hotel, Melaka. Very easy to locate the hotel as the hotel located along the main road. The hotel front desk staffs are very kind and with a pleasant smile. As we enter the room; it is clean and exactly what I have asked for when I made the room reservation via email.

The hotel is not far from the Jonker Street and we just take a walk to explore the place. We enjoyed the River Cruise at night which the board came right up to the hotel and it took us almost 45mins to go around in the board to see the night view of Melaka.

We also enjoyed the morning breakfast. In overall it was really a short and wonderful holiday for us and thanks to the Best Western Wana Riverside Hotel. Look forward to be there soon.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room facing the riverside
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I only spent one night here on a quick trip from KL. The front desk staff was most helpful and extremely cordial. The room was a good size. Everything was clean although the hotel is in need of renovating. There was an unpleasant smell in the hallway. Probably nothing that new carpeting and a coat of paint couldn't solve. Breakfast buffet was adequate. Location was fine. It was a pleasant 10-15 minute walk along the river to the main tourist sites and Jonker Street. My room had both a city and river view.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I book a room online. My booking is of wrong date. Either I input wrong or system get it wrong. Turn out I got a no-show, and get fully charge for it, but that's not the point. When I enquired on the reservation staff, the staff is really rude. She shows no interest in my problem, just inform me that she have charge me the cancellation fee and ask me to rebook again. It make me feels really bad. For this reason, I give this hotel lowest rating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family