“mahkota ordeal”

Mahkota Hotel Melaka
Ranked #124 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 30 December 2007

My daughter, husband, mother, aunt & I were supposed to spend 2 nights from 26th dec 2007 to 28th dec 2007 in a 2 room deluxe apartment in mahkota hotel. When we entered our assigned apartment, we were disappointed that it was so poorly maintained. A toilet door can't be closed properly. One of the sofa did not have a back support. The apartment just looked to have been neglected. But since we were only staying for 2 nights & all hotels were probably booked solid, we thought "ok we can put up with this. " However, when my aunt flushed the toilet, she noticed the water was yellow in colour . At first she thought maybe the flushing system uses a different water supply. But when she turned on the tap to wash her hands, to her horror, it was yellowish too. So we called reception & was told to turn on all the taps & leave it running for 10 mins. If the colour of water is still yellow they will change rooms for us. 10 mins later I called again to tell them it's still the same & was told to leave it running for another 15 mins. 15 mins later I called again, this time they said they will get someone to come & have a look. But 5 mins later, they called to say leave the taps running for another half an hour. Half & hour later, same thing. So we decided to look for accomodation elsewhere, failing which we will drive back to singapore immediately. Fortunately we managed to find accomodation at Hoilday Inn. To be fair, they did offer to change rooms should the problem persists but by that time we have already lost confidence with the hotel management & we also can't be sure if the other rooms had the same problem.

Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed 25 December 2007

I'm 100% agreed with the comments about Mahkota Hotel!

I spent sometimes to go through the trip advisor reviews about Melaka Hotel. Most of the comments is bad about Mahkota hotel, but i feel to give a chance to Mahkota Hotel and therefore I booked 2 units of 2 room deluxe apartment and spent my Christmas vacation with my Family in Melaka on 22 Dec 07 and checked out with dissapointed feeling on 23 Dec 07.

The first impression when I entering the hotel lobby and apartment is ~ the hotel is indeed old, dirty & the staff have attitute problem!

In the room, we found the bed sheet with yellow stain, lots of hair on the bed! The toilet extreamly dirty, look like never wash for years. You can see the yellow stain in the toilet bowl! The aircon is noisy, throughout the night, my family and I can't have a good rest!

The next day morning, all of us went to the Hotel Cafe for buffet breakfast. The table was dirty, but the waitress still insist to set up the dining set! For health purposes, I politely inform the waitress to clean up table before set up the dining set. The girl was extreamly angry and show me with an unfriendly face. She took back all the dining sets and through the dining sets in a basket with a anger face! I was shock and dissapointed, so I just walk off from the table and proceed to food bar counter, intend to get some bread and coffee, but both are out of stock! and they took 20 minutes to refill coffee & bread after I informed! We spent 2 hours there for breakfast, and most of the time is sitting there waiting for food refill! This is bad!

I tell myself, this is my first and also last visit at Mahkota Hotel! This hotel is not worth for money!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Site moderators please rectify the hotel photos linked as the photos shown is referring to Holiday Inn but not Mahkota.

Basically this hotel should not rated as 3 star. I've visited there with my wife and son just before the Hari Raya, the room we booked was a apartment, the check-in took us almost 45mins as the queue was terrible, anyhow, we still expecting something good is waiting for us but unfortunately, it is just worse at all.

Very disappointed, the living hall was surrounded with the disgusting smells, the floor was not cleaned, the sliding door at the balcony very difficult to open, the furniture was old, stains everywhere.

Even the bedroom was not kept properly, the air-con was like an old engine, the carpet was so sticky… The broken tiles and rusted tub…

Very bad experience with Mahkota, will not be here anymore for sure.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2007

I have stayed here many years ago and remembered it to be alright. But now, it is really in a sorry state. Nothing is right except the location. The hotel room is bare, aircon is noisy, dirty, run-down, sink leaking, bathtub cracked. It is not a hotel, it is more like a condotel and the staff is rude, breakfast is terrible, no ambience or whatsoever at all. I would suggest you try the Holiday Inn just across which will open in Oct 2007. And Hotel Equatorial is also within working distance with decent hotel standard.

At MYR200+ per nite, Mahkota Hotel is definitely not living it up.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank NoodleSingapore
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I would agree with most 2006-2007 comments about the Mahkota. I can imagine how great it used to be in the past, but those days are gone. The hotel is indeed old, and if rumours are true, then its days are numbered because a huge French hotel chain is going to buy and renovate it. Which is a good thing because it has a great location.

Directly opposite the hotel is the Mahkota Parade shopping mall, and beyond that 1 street away is another mega shopping mall, followed by Old Center of Malacca. In other words, most things are within walking distance.

The other great thing about the hotel is the pool. Mahkota has 2 pool areas; one square pool near the lobby, probably for adults to chill out, and one more near the other end which is purely for kids and families. 2 waters slides go into one pool, 1 spa pool, 1 large central pool, and 1 more kiddy pool with artificial waterfall (?). Not as dirty as you would imagine, i.e. no algae, slime etc. But since it has a tropical rainforest theme, you would expect leaves and flower petals in the water, sometimes...

But do kids mind? Of course not, my 6 yr old loved it. We stayed there 3 nights (Wed, Thur, and Fri) and he insisted on going every evening. It was most unbelievably crowded with kids and families on Friday night and Saturday morning.

Unfortunately, the good about the hotel runs out there...

We got a 1-bedroom apartment. It had a fridge and stove, but nobody on a short stay would use the stove. Note that the living room is not airconditioned, only the bedroom is airconditioned.

The hotel also has another strange rule, which fixes the number of included breakfast buffets to the size of the room. Hence, 1-bedroom apartments get 2 breakfasts and 2 bedrooms get 4. Now this is a bit touchy because the hotel says that kids under 12 stay free with parents without extra bedding, but that means the kid does not get included breakfast but has to pay. We also paid for an extra bed in the room. Now, note that the extra bed does not include breakfast as well!

But despite the hotel being very old and not updated since the 1980s, it is generally clean, as in the staff mop the floor and change sheets. However, do expect to see paint peeling, or other signs of aging.

The only thing to be said is that I have looked at the other hotels in Malacca, and at the current rates, the Mahkota's main rivals -- Equitorial or Bayview (Renaissance is way higher, so not rival) -- do have nicer rooms, but their pools are not fun for kids.

So my conclusion is not to treat the Mahkota as a 5* hotel but probably a beach resort chalet without a beach.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank alexiusp
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Arrived here late in the evening, and were looking for 2 rooms or a family room for our family of 5. Check-in offered us first an appartment, which we turned down as the queen bed was too small to sleep 3 kids.
The next appartment was ok as it had a kingsize bed.
The appartment itself was old though, like the rest of the hotel. It's a huge hotel and must have been state of the art in the seventies.

Our suite/appartment had a funny smell, probably because of the airco. After turning that off, it was ok again.

The restaurant of the hotel was good, as was breakfast. The pool was nice as well.

Next door a Holiday Inn will open in October 2007. I think by that time they can close this hotel, as it will not be able to compete.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2007

highlights include:
rotten food in fridge
black shower tray (we showered wearing flip flops)
blood stained sheets
dead animals (cockroaches, lizards) in room
excrement of unknown origin on fridge
water came out of taps brown
bed bugs and mosquitoes in room

i wouldn't recemmend this hotel to anyone. it probably deserved its 4 stars when it was build but now is it very old and shabby. food is no better. this hotel isn't cheap by malaysian standards and just isn't up to the category...

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends