“Noisy Room and Yellowish Water From Tap”

Mahkota Hotel Melaka
Ranked #119 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Stayed over from 5-6 June in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 3rd level with the room facing the highway. The room was hugh and even come with a 32" LED TV. We were faced with yellowish water coming from the tap. Next the aircon compressor located outside the window was so loud that make us wonder whether any maintenance was done at all. Half way through the night, the master bedroom electricity supply suddenly got cut off and the only light that come into the bedroom was through the street light across the building. We could hear the roaring of the motorcyle along the highway and the sound of people talking even with the window all closed. Thank goodness we are there only for one night stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed there with my parents, siblings and niece/nephew from 28 May to 30 May in Room 1083. There were a total of 6 adults, 2 children below 10 years and 2 toddlers below 5 years. The worse thing happened on our last day there. There were only 2 lifts - a passenger lift and fireman lift. Both looked more like cargo service lifts then hotel lifts. We were due to check out at 1pm so all of us bundled into the lift at 12.45pm. The lift that arrived at the 8th floor where we were was the fireman lift. The lift started to descend and shortly after, we heard 2 loud noise consecutively as if cables had snapped or as if the lift had hit steel. It was terrifying but thank goodness the lift stopped mid-way at level 3. Emergency Button did not work. We had to call the reception and forced open the inside lift door to shout and attract attention. This being Malaysia, we were not rescued out until 2pm. This being Malaysia again, the lift key to unlatch the main lift door did not work on both level 3 & level 4 and resetting the lift also failed. They had to force open the door. We did not expect to be lifted out of the lift but none of them (there were at least 3 of them - maintenance and hotel staff) helped us to carry our luggage out from the lift. Mind you, we had to climb out of the lift as the lift had stopped mid-way between level 3 & 2. So it was quite a stretch for us.

At check out, we did not receive any apology or was shown any sign of regret from the hotel staff over our traumatic experience. Worse, checkout staff (1 of which later claimed to be the manager) did not even know we were trapped. We were pissed but the manager said that the maintenance guy had taken the initiative to climb up to the 18th floor to reset the lift (which didn't work) when they could have just left us to rot inside. It's like a doctor telling a patient that he had takn the initiative to perform CPR when her could have just leave the patient to die. What a load of bull****. Insisted they do monthly maintenance but from the look and the rust, it was hard to believe. Both my dad and brother are in the maintenance line and lift jams shouldn't take more than 30mins before u are rescued out.

The least they could do was offer an apology but I guess that was too much to ask of them.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank nurazlinkasmani
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We did a round the world trip and I did a lot of research and I cannot figure out why I booked this Hotel. This was the worst hotel out of approx 30 hotels we stayed in over 150 days..... This Hotel only works with group travel...you come with a travel agent at dinner for a shower, leave for the night and then check out in the morning. We checked in approx 4 pm from Singapore. Our room was ready....oh wait...maybe it wasn’t. No one was in the lobby..I.e. tourists...all restaurants appeared to be closed...no one was in the large double pool... and someone decided that we were worthy of check in. We were given a key....( I only asked about WIFI,,,told I could figure it out) and off we went to our room...oh but where was our room....hum....ok walked in logical direction...told the bar...THE BAR...was closed....so asked ok where do you think we could find our room...bla bla ( forgotten number)... go back through the lobby...and go outside back around and then you can come back to the elevator....level 2...could of walked that.... OK made it to level 2 on the elevator. Stinky but would of never said that if ....ok...found our room. Reminded me of Russia in the early 1972 ish... Desk at lobby but there was no one there like everywhere in this Hotel. OK...found our room...heard sounds coming from inside our room...knocked...waited...knocked...waited...looked at room key...looked at my husband and said OK ...we are going in.... Nothing real exciting..just a room that had not been cleaned...i.e. check out and no cleaner came by to possibly check the room for change over...like I had said...they come in groups and leave in groups....so not come alone here. So being in the tourist business myself...I hated...going downstairs to complain..But there was no way I was going to sleep in a bed that I KNEW had been slept in. The front desk made me feel really embarrassed about being a pain ...a complainer about the quality of my room cleaning....making me feel even better they had me wait at the check in desk..While they looked at my complaint....10 minutes (ok maybe sooner) later...they returned and said in deed the room had not been cleaned or changed from the last check in. So need I again say we are getting close to 5 PM...This is a huge Hotel and there is no one in the lobby, the pool or the one of many restaurants. They found an empty room. Lucky us... we were told we had an upgraded room...hum..I was a little excited....only to find it was the room across the hall with a peak of the water, (not beach or waterfront) that was clean...how lucky we where. The room was large...that is all I can say positive. We had tried to book a trip but no one really could help us... Ok only one more thing...before I left this place...I decided to go and have a massage in the basement of this Lobby..Hotel. I felt safe in that my husband could have a beer at the bar and be really close to me in case I needed him... I did not really need him but do not ever go to the basement for a massage....I took a good 10 days to heal my back from the open wounds... had to pay extra 20US for massage oil, ( had requested and paid for 1 and a half hour sports massage for my back. Back to being nice....the gals, the Band at the lobby bar was really fun....they were really super...they invited me on stage for a picture and Craig my Husband and I really enjoyed this and only this part of this Hotel. Oh forgot...the Hotel did have a fitness center, one of the reasons I selected the Hotel. It was never open...I would have to wander around the hotel looking for someone with a key. They had may doors to open to do a bit of exercise...I had pre arranged or rather gone to the center to reconfirm the opening hours.... I must of mis understood that the attendant was at lunch all day......and I had to wait at the door on the 2 times I wanted to workout. I cannot say it was the time to pray...that would of been understandable...it was just a slow time and they decided to close.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

SOMBONG ! RUDE ! Reception staff behaved as though we are not Welcomed.
Why have such people be employed to work in a Hotel ??? They do not bother
to offer any customer service and are too proud to speak with courtesy.

NEVER, NEVER GO TO THIS HOTEL. My first trip with family was also a nightmare, the apartments look haunted and in horrible condition for the price we have to pay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank TerminaTERrrr
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I've stay here most every year since it's convenience to us to reach Jockey Walk n even a shopping mall. Unfortunately, the service was terrible where maintenance man are quite snobbish n not a helpfull staff.some of the room are cleaness and some are worst at all.But I recommend to those who are staying at this hotel to choose oleander or orchid block compare to apartment without a fully aircond which is really dirty at all.Perhaps, the food is a good taste so far.So, to those who are fussy with a hygience n cleaness standard I'll not recommended.So far, it's worth it for a value of money to those who are trying to cutting down some budget.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliatuah
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Booked a 2 bedroom apartment for a 2 nights stay over the weekend. Mahkota is really our last choice as many of our preferred hotels were full.

The apartment was pretty affordable considering that it had a kitchen area, sofa, tv, two bedrooms with attached shower. However, we were irked by the water supply.

1) One of the toilets did not have hot water
2) Water supply to both toilets and kitchen sink were dirty yellow when we first turned it on. This probably indicated that this room was not used for a long time. We didn't dare risk brushing our teeth/showering with the water condition.

Also, we wanted to swim, but upon looking at the particles/dirt/dead leaves and some oil blots on the surface of the water, we immediately turned away.

However, doorstep parking was really convenient. Breakfast was acceptable.

In sum, you pay for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The surrounding property had a resort feel, but the rooms didn't reflect the same. We took the one-bedroom deluxe with no a/c in the living hall. There was a nice breeze from the waterfront though.

The furniture were standard, bamboo framed 2+1 seaters in the hall. The mini kitchenette was rather useless as they do not allow cooking. The cupboards were empty and have not been cleaned in a while.

The a/c outlet in the bedroom was quite dirty. However the bed and linen was clean and comfortable - there wasn't any musty smell, so that's good! The bathroom was clean but the tap doesn't turn off properly, you could hear water dripping all night.

Its a good place to stay if you're a family w small kids as there were 2 pools w children's slides and a kiddie area. The older kids could try carrom, table tennis, squash or the gym.

Breakfast spread was generous, better than we expected. Quality of food was average.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends