“Great Location and Room”

Hotel Equatorial Melaka
Ranked #14 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Its my 2nd visit after 9 years. This round with hubby and kids.

The hotel is just as remembered and still look great with nice lobby, building. The room is newly renovated with modern finishes, nice bed, nice day bed feature with great view, bathtub with attached shower, usual features such as hairdryer, fridge, shower soap Shampoo & lotion etc, clean towels.

The housekeeping is great and the reception noted our request for baby cot from our booking.com request and placed a baby cot 1 hr after we checked in. The baby cot/playpen is big and spacious. We love the day bed and our 5yr old son like it so much that he requested to sleep on it & not share our bed.
The view is nice though I wish that instead of having blinds, they should provide curtains as light will shine in and we can't sleep late as such. The blinds even if shut tight will still have spaces for light to creep in so in the morning guests wont be able to enjoy late morn sleep. The room size is typical of modern hotel sizes although it is also much smaller than 9yrs ago size (my first visit).

Breakfast is always crowded with long queue. The room doesn't come with breakfast and I wish that they should at least have an option for us. Anyway we ended up eating Macdonalds at the next door megamall and only managed to try the breakfast on 3rd day just before we left. It was normal fare but selection is good spread and I love the egg counter which you can have half-cook, fully cook or whatever style of egg upon request.

We didn't try lunch or dinner at the restaurants in the hotel. After reading the reviews on their nonya restaurant we decided to try other restaurants instead, since this hotel is at a great location with many choices nearby. The new megamall is just next door with up market brands/pricing (maybe expensive in Malaysia pricing but may be cheap for tourist with good exchange rates), many interesting shops with 2 sections - one section with many small shops and another section selling upmarket items. It is linked to Hatten Hotel from the megamall and you can walk from megamall -->Hatten-->Mahkota mall.
From the hotel, we also easily walked to Jonker walk, went for river cruise, looked at the famous churches etc along Jonker area. Very convenient location. We saw Holiday Inn hotel and I am glad I didn't choose it (was deciding btw Equatorial or holiday Inn) as I realised there is a big expressway next to Holiday Inn with no crossing. Equatorial location is much better and I think only Hatten hotel is comparable in terms of location and similar size. And our choice of Equatorial is bec of its bathtub which my kids love and Hatten doesn't provide bathtub. For family, Equatorial is more suitable and family of 3- 4 I will recommend to get the room with day bed. the day bed is big and even adult can use.

Swimming Pool is big and with some carved out section for kids with steps that make it more interesting than usual kids pool. But the wind is very strong at the swimming pool on both occasions I went at different timing, and many complained of cold water. I will suggest if the hotel can have some jacuzzi pools or some kids features since their pool area is so big its a pity not to leverage on that. They should also provide some pool drinks or have a pool bar since there is so much space. Overall the swimming pool is great and big and spacious, not cramp at all unlike some other hotels.

We enjoyed the stay a lot and the service is good. Staff always help to hold the lift for us at main lobby. Housekeeping is good and prompt. Though it will be good if the service staff can smile more then it will be bonus.

Room Tip: Choose room with day bed if you are travelling as a family.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been enjoyable. I am glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation. Rest assured every effort will be taken to improve further such as the blinds on the day bed and the pool offerings.

We certainly cherish your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Equatorial Melaka.

Adrian Chung

Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a frequent traveller as a businessman's. It is importance for the hotel to ensure good service in all aspects. In my case, I have to give a credit to The Reservation Manager for her good communication and marketing skills and managed to convince me to stay in Equatorial Melaka. There are so many hotels and upcoming 5 star hotels in Melaka.

But I had a bad experience with the food outlets, one of the bad experiences was at the Café next to the Coffee House. I had an argument with the F&B Director about the slow service at the Café. The point is he should not "argue" with the guest. The best way is to say "sorry" in a professional manner (5 star hotel standard) to the guest.

So, the Reservation Manager has done her good job but what happened if other sectors in the hotel not doing the same standard of service ? The hotel should take care on those individual guest who just not stay but spend in the hotel outlets. This will help the hotel to increase revenue.

1  Thank FAZLI H
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am certainly very concerned and alarmed after reading your review and I would like to personally get in contact with you. Please write to me at adrianchung@mel.equatorial.com.

I sincerely thank you for your patronage and I look forward to hear from you.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The kids jumping around excited upon entering the room. Definitely they like it, so am I. The location, the professionalism, the services, the facilities, the price are all excellent. Located nearby key attraction in Malacca and also the Dataran Pahlawan definitely is a convenient for a family with small kids. The hotel also allowed us to check-in early (around 12:30pm). Nice view from the hotel, and the kids love to play at that extra cushion near the window (pic)... If the kids are happy, we have nothing to complaint.. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am most grateful that we met with your expectation during your recent stay.

My sincerest appreciations for taking the time to post your kind review and we look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Checked in was smooth by a friendly young man at the front desk on Christmas Day after a long drive from Pearl of the Orient. Expected a clean room to sink in based on review but to our dissappointment, we found leftovers of coffee stains and instant noodles seasoning at the mini bar from previous guest !
Housekeeping needs attention as dust is visible throughout the room !!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Cleanliness is certainly paramount and must be kept at its level best at all times and I have done a thorough review with my Executive Housekeeper on the cleanliness.

I sincerely apologize that the stay was somewhat not flawless, rest assured we will make every effort to improve on our shortcomings and we certainly look forward to welcome you back again to Hotel Equatorial Melaka. .

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the major shopping malls and this is a key reason why I chose this hotel. It lived up to my expectation in terms of its accessibility to the shopping malls. The room is clean, the beds are comfortable, the toilet is well-maintained and the air-con is working so we have nothing to complain about as far as accommodation is concerned. If there were to be any gripe, it is the slow elevators which seem to take forever to arrive.

2  Thank Kok_Thong
Hotel_Equatorial_Mel, General Manager at Hotel Equatorial Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been enjoyable. We are glad that the service, room and hotel facility has met to your expectation.

Nevertheless, we apologize for the long wait for the elevators. I have shared your comments with my Chief Engineer and we are currently looking in to the best possible way to minimize the waiting time in future.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

One of the first hotels in Melaka, the EQ has stood the test of time and been recently refurbished. It still maintains its old world charm, and is popular with locals and foreigners. We had stayed 3 nights over one of the busier weekends just before Christmas 2013, and had booked two Premium rooms for our family. On the last night, we upgraded ourselves to an Equator club, and our other party to a suite. This meant access to the Club floor located on the 21st floor. Being at EQ, was an excellent retreat, while being smack in the thick of all things Melaka.
Pros
- Location was great, to access all that Melaka has to offer. Is a 5 minute walk to Afamosa and a 15minute walk to Jonker Street, and is flanked by two malls - Mahkota Parade and Dataran Pahlawan. The latter is an Aladdin's cave of cheap and cheerful to mainstream brands. We did quite a bit of shopping here, and has good value VCDs which we bought for our suite.
- Well spacious appointed rooms, with the newly upgraded Premier rooms offering great value with a daybed instead of a balcony. It has all the amenities expected ie power showers, free wifi, safe, iron board etc. The decor was light and beige tones, and liked the Melaka scenes that adorned the walls for a unique yet local feel.
- Wonderful and comfy beds, even the daybed was spacious with up to one adult and a child being able to sleep snugly on it.
- Great breakfast with choice of Western and Asian, especially love the rice porridge (with pumpkin one day :), and yogurt choices. A definite winner, despite the 10minute wait for a breakfast.
- The pool was well used by the children, while the adults found the gym, sauna and steam room a boon and respite from the crowds.
- Free and available parking in congested Melaka was great.
Cons
- The spread at the Club floor was disappointing, with only the view the highlight.
- The huge crowds at breakfast, which meant a 10-15minute wait for tables for our party of 8. There was always a long queue for breakfast. The Rest house was having problems seating people, and they did offer the tables outside, which was a bother for some having to walk further for their food. They should consider having additional venues at peak periods.
Overall, a great stay and highly recommended to those wanting to see historical Melaka.

Room Tip: Pay more for a Premium room for better value

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

It is certainly pleasing to know you had an enjoyable stay and the opportunity to experience our Premier room.

Nevertheless, we will make every effort to improve on the waiting time at breakfast period.

Once again, my sincere appreciation for taking the time to post your review which certainly is helpful for us to improve further and I look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

It was my first time staying at Equatorial , I was a bit skeptical about them and my fear turned out to be true. Hotel is just below average, buffet breakfast is disappointing. We were made to sit on a table which was apparently just cleaned but had cutlery with spots. I asked for a simple cheese omlette and was told they only have ham. I tried Roti Canai and I can bet it was stale, I couldn't bite into it. Room also looked dated, towels provided at Spa were torn and dirty. Toiletries were not provided in the bathroom and had to call up room service. Once I got them I regretted forgetting my own tooth brush and shaver(The one provided by hotel was of substandard quality). Staff was courteous and that is the only plus I can draw during my visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant encounters and I have taken a serious view on all your feedback. I have addressed them with all my colleagues responsible in their respective areas for immediate corrective actions and improvements.