“Love the room! especially the Bath Tub~ :D”

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #3 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Love the room! especially the Bath Tub~ :D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Totally adore with the room with the open concept bathroom. Our check in started with a great welcome classic Chinese tea with the whole teapot, the staff were so patient in explaining all the hotel facilities. Followed by my discovery of the small token of the powder with the nearly forgotten package which has really enlightened my day after a tired drive.

I have not tried the restaurants here in Majestic Hotel as there are really plenty of choices out there at Jonker street. Highly recommend Baboon house pork chop burger which has made my trip unforgettable.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Majestic just one night on the way from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, but I wish we have stayed longer. The hotel it’s located out of the old town center and the Chinese district but you can anyway walk there along the river (a very nice and pleasant stroll) and if you are tired when you want to come back taxis are easy to get and cheap. Inside the hotel is beautiful and seems to be an old colonial house. The room was large, comfortable, with very good beds and beautiful colonial furniture, but the bath room is not really separated as there is just a wood screen you could close and we’d have appreciated a little more privacy. The service was fantastic. When we arrived they immediately told us that a guided walk tour of the old town was offered to customers for free 2 times a day. We went that afternoon with other two guests and the guide was very good, kind and professional. We asked them to arrange our transfer to LK the next morning and they did it immediately and for a very reasonable price. The day we left they could not arrange a late check out for us as the room was booked, but while I was eating a good lunch in the pleasant lobby my friend could stay in the SPA and work there after having had a very long and good massage and she says the SPA is a beautiful a relaxing one. We did not dine at the hotel as we wanted to eat in a typical restaurant in the old town, but we had a look at the dining room at breakfast and liked it a lot . There is also a piano and someone plays it at dinner time. There is also a little swimming pool where you can cool yourself when you come back from the heat of the town, even if not really swim. All in all: a fantastic hotel that is what I think hotels were in the colonial days.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

The Majestic Hotel is a lovely gem of a hotel. It's a small establishment that feels warm and welcoming. The rooms in the new building blend surprisingly well with the original building which the reception and restaurant are housed in.

The hotel isn't located in the heart of historical Malacca (which makes it peaceful) but it's an easy 15 minute stroll straight down Jalan Bunga Raya where you'll pass by lots of interesting shophouses (unfortunately many in a dilapidated state), side streets, food stalls and local shops. You can even take a slightly longer scenic walk along the Malacca River to reach the Jonker St and Dutch Square areas. If you drive, you'll get to the main sights in 5 min and you can park near the Dutch Square roundabout for the princely sum of RM5 a day. Go early though cos the car park fills up very quickly!

The rooms are cosy and look exactly like the photos on the website. Shower pressure was excellent and I liked the fact that you didn't have to wait forever for the hot water to kick in. I used the clawfoot bath once which was relaxing, but I felt bad about wasting so much water afterwards. The hotel provides welcome tea in the room which is a nice touch, and also nonya kuehs in the afternoon. There isn't much of a view from the rooms - all you'll see are old shophouses, construction sites, a random monorail line, and a makeshift theme park containing a ferris wheel and pirate ship.

I would suggest you give the hotel's breakfast a miss as there is a huge variety of amazing food options in Malacca and you should reserve the space in your stomach for that. Breakfast at The Mansion was so-so, we were offered some pastries (great choc croissants!), toast, cereal and yoghurt, as well as hot options like pancakes, waffles, eggs, noodles and murtabak. The food was ok but not fantastic. So unless it's included with your room rate, you can skip it. Even if it's included, you can skip it!

Here are food tips if you're too lazy to wander from the hotel:
- to the left of the hotel near the corner of Jalan Munshi Abdullah is a Chinese restaurant called Lu Yeh Yen which shares its outdoor sitting area with a Chinese temple. The food is simple and delicious. Try their salt-baked crabs. We ate here the night we got in and were thankful that we didn't have to trudge too far from "home" to get a good meal.
- to the left of the hotel at the corner of Lorong Bendahara, there are a few food stalls which serve yummy char kway teow (fried noodles) and yau zha guai (fried dough sticks). One serving isn't enough, you'll be back for more!
- to the right of the hotel, diagonally across the road is a coffee shop called Yung Lai Siang which sells very tasty curry puffs as well as nonya laksa and prawn noodles. I'm salivating just thinking about it!

And for yummy chendol that you don't have to queue for hours for, try the one at Bibik House at the end of Jonker St, right opposite the massive garish karaoke stage. They let you add as much gula melaka as you want! Yum!

Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Loved this hotel! Such a lovely building and beautifully decorated inside. The rooms were exceptional and this really felt like a great oasis away from the heat, hustle and bustle of Melaka. It was my birthday during our stay and we came back from dinner to find a cake waiting for us in the room. Really nice touch that made our stay complete! Cannot recommend this hotel or the staff enough.

• Stayed April 2011
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay at the Majestic upon the recommendation of a friend. I'm really grateful to that friend for her recommendation :)

We drove up to Malacca from Singapore, and it was a rather straightforward drive. The hotel carpark had a guy stationed there for security, and the hotel manager Ben assured us that our car would be safe.

I agree with the other reviewer who mentioned Ben's professionalism. His warmth felt genuine, and he made it a point to remember us by name. After we told him we were in Malacca just for leisure, he jokingly instructed us not to do any work. Each time we met him around the hotel he'd ask how we were, and would greet us by name. That's one benefit of running a small hotel, I guess.

The scent of the flowers are the first thing to strike you as you enter the hotel lobby, the traditional Peranakan decor of the main building is also lovely and quaint. Entering the back building, we were welcomed by the aroma of essential oils from the Spa Village. We didn't go to the spa because it was rather expensive (think the prices in Singapore are the same) even with the 15% discount they offer if you pre-booked.

We had the deluxe room, which was gorgeous. We took so many photos of the room, it seemed large because of the open concept bathroom. The four-poster bed with plush bedding, the chaise lounge by the window, and of course the beautiful bath. Truly luxurious. We had a lovely unblocked view of Malacca River.

I really enjoyed the little touches like the welcome tea in a traditional Chinese tea basket, and the nyonya kuih they served on our second night when we returned to our rooms.

We went to the pool on our second day, and it indeed was small, as many reviewers had mentioned. Thankfully it was just my husband and me in the pool that morning. I'm not sure why there were no other guests using the pool, it could possibly be the timing (almost 11am) or because it was mid-week so there were fewer tourists. Whatever the reason, the pool was great for us leisure swimmers. It was large enough to accommodate the 2 of us (think that may be the limit though). We just lazed by the deck chairs after our swim then returned to our rooms. The pool was clean, even though I was worried about any potential droppings from the many pigeons that flew overhead.

The hotel's location is near enough to Jonker Street for us to walk, but it can be quite punishing in the Malacca heat. It's good that there are many food stalls and coffee shops along the way for us to stop for a drink when we needed to. It's easy enough to drive around Malacca from the hotel, with a map in hand. The hotel staff are knowledgeable about the food places in town, helping us to make restaurant reservations and recommendations.

We didn't have any meals in the hotel because we booked the room without breakfast from Agoda. But the food choices are aplenty in Malacca, so we weren't too concerned about going hungry.

This hotel is truly a lovely option for couples who want to splurge a little for a nice hotel stay in Malacca. The only complaint I may have is that the walls seem a little thin, as there were times when we could hear the TV from our neighbouring room and the cacophony of the waterpipes when they were (I think) filling their bathtub. But that's a minor inconvenience as it wasn't a constant sound.

Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

Don't let the location and surroundings put you off. Yes, the view from the hotel and (small) pool is of a hospital skyscraper and the approach is a side road, and the piped music in the lobby has to be the most annoying outside a shopping centre, but wait until you see the rooms.

Fabulous.

Possibly the most comfortable bed in Asia. Fantastic bathroom with rain shower and separate old-fashioned bath. Free wifi in the public areas and free broadband in the rooms.

The staff could not have been more helpful. Not a particularly fantastic breakfast but worth it for the fresh watermelon juice and orange juice that's continually topped up.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

I recently stayed at the Majestic Malacca with my young family for four days. I cannot complement enough the outstanding service and attention to detail by the hotel staff, under the supervision of the hotel manager, Mr Ben Quah. Mr Quah is the consummate professional and one of the best managers I have had the pleasure to deal with in many years of corporate travel.

The restaurant manager, Helena Wong, ensured the standard of service was second to none, ably complemented by food of an exceptional culinary standard.

The hotel is tastefully decorated with the main entrance and dining areas an old Peranakan residence, with the accommodation space abutting the historic building to the rear. Rooms are well serviced with all modern conveniences, and the hotel is only a short walk or tuk tuk ride to the historic quarter of Malacca.

Attention to detail and commitment to ensuring guests have a memorable experience are the cornerstone of a visit to The Majestic. The complimentary fashion parade (including afternoon tea) and historical guided tour hosted by Jonathan, were just two of highlights for my family.

I would highly recommend the Majestic Malacca!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family