“Great hotel rooms and wonderful SPA”

The Majestic Malacca
Ranked #2 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Montegrotto Terme, Italy
“Great hotel rooms and wonderful SPA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Let's say that if the surroundings of the hotel and the location would have been different then the hotel would have been perfect.
The hotel itself is a very nice colonial building with attached a new part, that is inserted perfectly with the style of the older building. Unfortunately the surrounding area is not that nice and some how ruins a little bit the romanticism of this small luxury hotel. The hotel itself is a small time travel back in history, as soon as you step inside you feel the flair of the colonial style, it is just perfect!
The rooms are great with all amenities that you expect from a five star, such as bathrobes, slippers, safe, free wifi, flat screen tv etc. The bathroom opens up directly to your bedroom and you can immerse yourself in the tub with a view over Melaka. The bed was just amazing, one of the best in Malaysia, so comfortable that it's really hard to get up and start your day...just perfect to relax!
The SPA and it's service is just WOW!!! Yes.. it's a little bit expensive but it's worth it, trust me..you will not be disappointed.
We only had breakfast and therefore can not judge the restaurant. The breakfast was good, a small buffet and à la cart table service which was good.
The only thing that disappointed me was the efficiency of the front office staff, usually in a 5 star hotel when I arrive I get some kind of refreshment towel or a welcome drink, it did not happen here and no one asked if we needed help with our luggage. These actually are just two small things, which still effect in someway the 5star feeling. On our departure day I had asked for a taxi at 10:15 for 11:00, at 11:00 we came down to the lobby and found out that they had forgotten to call it. Ok no problem, can happen. But what really made me upset was when the taxi finally arrived they asked me the location and I told them I would need to go to KLIA. Once in the cab I negotiated the price with the driver for 200RM, after some minutes the hotel had called him and informed him to tell us that the price was of 250RM, 50RM commission for the hotel??? This is unacceptable since I did not ask for a transfer but just for a cab. I think that the FOM should train more it's staff, since this is for sure not a 5 star guest service attitude.
If I come back to Melaka I will for sure stay in this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Manuelitto2000
MajesticMalaccaM, Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay and were wow by your experience in the Spa. We have also noted on your feedback for improvement. We apologize on the miscommunication on the taxi arrangement and as communicated, we reiterate that the hotel do not take any commission on the service arrangement rendered to our guest. We thank you for highlighting this miscommunication to us which has since been cleared and resolved by the secretary of the Malacca Taxi Association to your good self. Thank you and we are pleased to know that you will stay in The Majestic Malacca when you next visit Malacca. warm regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We visited Malacca for a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our trip because The Majestic made our stay so much better. This is an excellent hotel decorated beautifully and staffed by lovely people.

Staff were always warm, friendly and informative. We were given welcome tea drinks upon arrival and briefed on the hotel and grounds. Later on, we were given sweet treats (local cakes) and had our room turned-down for the evening.

The Spa was wonderful. Get yourself a treatment, be pampered and feel relaxed! The pool is small but great if you want to have a cool dip on a hot day. Breakfast was lovely too -- there is a variety of dishes to choose from and you can help yourself to fruits, bread and pastries in the buffet.

The hotel is about a 20 minute stroll to Jonker Street. You will come across a variety of interesting cafes and shops along the way and the area is relatively safe to walk around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that your recent holiday in Malacca was enhanced with the warm, friendly and informative service engagement you received from our staff at The Majestic Malacca. We appreciate your feedback and it is motivating to all of us. Thank you and warm regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Don't often say that but honestly this hotel is fantastic. It's rated number 1 in Melacca and for good reason. Very colonial in style the lobby area feels like going back 50 years in time with impeccably dressed waiters and staff walking around with silver trays of cocktails and attending to your every wish. Nothing is too much trouble and you receive smiles and personal greetings from every staff member you pass as you walk around.

The rooms are huge with marble floored bathrooms and roll-top baths, chaise longs in the window and huge beds with the best quality linen make for a great night's sleep. The restaurant service is superb and the food is top-notch with a great range of dishes and wines.

It's not expensive for the standard and quality of the hotel. Superb value and by far the best choice available in Melacca, there could be nowhere better.

Room Tip: Higher rooms better just so you have a view across the city, I'm guessing they are all of the sa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin R
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a fantastic experience and stay in The Majestic Malacca. We pride ourselves on our service engagement to our guest and we thank you for acknowledging our staff effort. Your feedback was posted on our staff notice board and received with much cheers. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for your stay with us. Warm regards.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed for one night. Traveled with friends. Check-in was smooth and the hotel staff friendly and accommodating. Room on the 8th floor was spacious and nicely furnished. Open bath room and toilet - not my cup of tea but since I stayed alone in the room it did not matter. The bed was very comfortable, and using the light fixtures did not require a degree in electrical engineering. The breakfast is served in the only restaurant and was more than adequate. The hotel is very cosy and hanging out in the bar, library and reception area is nice. The surrounding of the hotel is a bit of a letdown, but then the whole city is run down and in a state of neglect. But our stay at The Majestic was very satisfactory, and we would probably return to this property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to know that you had a satisfactory stay with us in The Majestic Malacca. We thank you for taking time to share your review with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warm regards.
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect from the moment we checked in until we left. We stayed for 2 nights at the end of July and could not have been happier with our choice of hotel.
A well thought out combination of old and new, all the comforts of a modern hotel with the old character maintained in the reception and restaurant areas. Our room was spotlessly clean and the bedding and pillows top quality - we both slept like logs!
Staff in the hotel were only too happy to help with directions and recommending places to eat, nothing was too much trouble.
The location of the hotel was ideal for us, away from the madness of Jonker street at a weekend but close enough to be able to take a leisurely stroll along the riverside to see all the sights.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback shared with our staff were received with much cheers and enthusiasm. We are motivated and will continue to strive to enhance our guest experience and stay with us. Thank you and warm regards.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We are in Malaysia on honeymoon at the moment and put quite a bit of planning into selecting this hotel and were really looking forward to it. We stayed here for two nights and checked out this morning and it was such a let down. The other reviews look great so not sure if we are unlucky but i find it hard to believe.

Checked in and shown to our room with tea which was nice. Found out through a note on the desk that the pool would be closed for the second day of our stay for maintenance. I understand maintenance needs to be done though personally I think guests should be told in advance as had we known we would definitely have stayed somewhere else.

Deciding to make the most of the pool on day one we went down and ordered some lunch. 30mins later when my wife had eaten half of her lunch it emerged the waiter 'forgot' to order mine. Two main courses isn't complicated and how one can be totally forgotten in a five star hotel is beyond me.

The rooms are stunning and that night I decided to have a bath which is one of the main features of the room. Unfortunately I couldn't due to yellow water running from the tap so went to bed instead.

Breakfast was a disaster. Coffee is served at the table and rather than leave a small pot they pour a small cup and then don't return to top it up. I ordered an omelette which arrived with all sorts of other things including a chicken sausage which is not mentioned on the menu. Normally extras are a bonus but being allergic to chicken (weird I know) it was a problem for me. I explained this to the waitress and was presented with the same omelette on a different plate within about a minute.

My wife ordered poached eggs with creamy mushrooms. When they arrived the eggs came with creamy carrots. She asked the waiter where the mushrooms were and he said they ran out so used carrots instead (which she should have been told upon ordering). Her entire breakfast was stone cold so she sent it back and was offered no replacement or alternative.

Juice is also served at the table and after 20mins and having not been offered any we went and found some ourselves. The cereal selection is for kids (no muesli, granola etc), the bread selection is really poor, and the yoghurts are flavoured pots from a supermarket.

Jams and fruit had ran out and were not replaced and there were several dirty tables throughout our time. Overall I think they were understaffed by about four people.

I went back for breakfast this morning (wife couldn't be persuaded) and ordered some fried eggs, explaining to the waiter I couldn't have any chicken on my plate. A few minutes later I was presented with someone else's breakfast which the waitress then removed and walked round the dining room with trying to work out who owned it. Then mine arrived, complete with a chicken sausage. I told the waiter and he apologised, quickly giving me back the same breakfast minus the chicken sausage (but not all of the oil that oozed out of it round the plate and could potentially see me end up in hospital).

This place needs a food and beverage manager to take control and properly train the staff.

Location is ok and the turndown service with local cakes is a nice touch. However, I have had better service levels in McDonalds and whilst the rooms are of a high standard this hotel runs more like 3 star than 5 star.

We did try to express these concerns at check out with Junka though unfortunately when my wife mentioned we had some problems during our stay the comment was completely ignored. Language may be an issue but in a five star hotel with five star prices it shouldn't be and my opinion is that the staff genuinely don't care. I don't think I'll stay in another YTL hotel again as this experience has been so poor which is a real shame.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Redfella83
Dear Guest,

We read with concern on your feedback and we thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We placed a lot of emphasis to ensure that our guest enjoy their stay with us and clearly this has not been the case for you. Please be assured that we have reviewed your feedback with our team and we have effected two training sessions for all our personnel to reinforce the service engagement to our guest. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you and warm regards.
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

It was our second visit since two years ago where we celebrated our anniversary. This hotel is still as charming as ever, the service is still as impressive, the room seemed as though it hasn't aged.

We had a two nights stay in Majestic Melaka as part of our 9-days Malaysia trip and it was our last stop. It's undeniably one of the best hotels we had stayed by far (in Malaysia) having travelled to different cities and states over the years.

This colonial styled hotel has it's charm and is different from any other hotels in the vicinity. You get impressed the moment you stepped into the compound and lobby. The rooms are very spacious and I still like the way the bathroom is designed.

For one, the beds are really good and comfortable. We had an excellent sleep and hadn't had any issues with noises. We had pretty bad experiences for the other hotels we stayed during this trip just to share. The hotel and room are extremely clean!

The hotel staffs were exceptionally friendly and every single one of them would greet you if you ever walk past them. We felt we had been well attended to and looked after.

Upon arrival, the hotel staff brought us to our room and served us (as always) Chinese tea. They even served some Nyonya cakes during turn down service.

Location is good. You can walk along the river in the evening and enjoy the breeze and view. There are many food establishments in the vicinity and you don't have any issue with selections. One of our favourite is the TaChi Restaurant. Ask the front desk for directions and they will guide you. Commuting to George Town and Jonker Street is also pretty easy. I guess it's about 1.5km away at most.

The breakfast served in the hotel is awesome! I thought it's one of the best having being disappointed many times in other hotels. Like I always said, my favourite is the omelette and most hotels always have them overcook and too dry. Majestic cooked them just nice! Soft, wet, hot and juicy omelette. They serve upon request and it's not buffet-line style. You need to wait quite a bit but it's worth the wait. Food will be served hot and delicious. The French Toast had been served with bananas as well and is one of the best I ever had (in hotels). The breakfast is a must-try in Majestic Melaka. However, we went during the peak hours (I think) around 9.30am to 10.00am and there were a lot of people. As such, the servers were quite busy and missed out on our orders, forgot to top-up our juices upon request, delivered our orders but in the wrong quantity (we ordered two porridge but only one had been delivered). Apart from the mess, everything else is perfect in this place.

It's definitely one of the hotels you should visit if you're in Melaka.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJS885
MajesticMalaccaM, Manager at The Majestic Malacca, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review for your recent stay in The Majestic Malacca. I am pleased to know that our service, condition of the room and the breakfast spread at our Mansion Restaurant met up to your expectation. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again for in near future.

Warm regards.