“Nice”

Ranked #32 of 212 Melaka B&B and Inns
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Nice”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I've stayed here with my husband for a night. I have chosen the room with attached toilet. The place was clean and very near to Jonker Street as well as some places of interest. I've even checked the shared toilet and it was clean too. Behind the hotel has an open area where you can relax and watch the river scenery. The front and back of the hotel has a walk way to the street. Take a 5 mins walk to the jetty and you can catch a boat ride on the river. Besides, you will find lots of restaurant/bistro/bar nearby. Wifi service was available, but the parking space was limited.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Krasnodar, Russia
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I fully agree with Sherry Star. I’m not sure if ever find myself in Melaka again but if I do River Song will be the place of my choice. The highlight of the hotel is arguably its balcony and the views from it both at day and night time. I loved relaxing on a balcony sofa with a Tiger and a cigarette enjoying the views of the Church of St. Francis Xavier, boats passing by, tourists dining or strolling along the river…
Terima Kasih, Mrs. Go.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YakovTriko
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Love the balcony that views the river melaka in day and nite, fantastic location min to jonker walk, love the cleanliness of the residence and the service is good. the only thing is if u r intending to sit by the river at nite pls get ready mosquito spray so u can enjoy the scene without disturbances! I am returning to this place again, miss the melaka river and the food there.

• Stayed May 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 25 April 2013

A very cosy place. Off the busy main street so it not too noisy. Given rooms on the ground floor near the back. Bed was firm, sheets were clean. Clean toilets too. Has a chill out area on the 2nd floor with a view of the river. Very reasonable rates. Free wifi. Got to book early!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Wonderful location, with not one but two terraces overlooking the river. The shared baths are very clean and handy, and the atmosphere is quiet but convivial. I made a couple of friends while I was there. My room was windowless, but that isn't a problem--there's less chance of mosquitos straying into the room and it is quieter. The aircon was great, the mattress was firm. The hotel owner went above and beyond, personally chauffeuring me to a clinic when I had a back spasm. My only criticism is that the bed linens are not cotton but some kind of synthetic. For a hotel of this quality, I think an upgrade is in order. One other suggestion, which I'd like to share with every guesthouse I've been in so far: Please install more hooks or pegs in the rooms, and a surface large and high enough for a couple pieces of luggage. Closets and drawers I don't need, but hooks and a shelf would make it so much easier to sort myself out. Getting on the floor to retrieve things from my bags gets more difficult all the time! Bottom line: excellent value and a very nice memory for me.

Room Tip: Since this is a lovely old shophouse, it's core is essentially open to the elements. Though one...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Anita R
クアラルンプール, マレーシア
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We arrived a little early about 11 o'clock in the morning. We just wanted to put our bags at the front but the staff was so kind and offered us to check-in, also we could rest at the room. The room, toilet, corridor, kitchen (terrace) and balcony are all clean. We love the balcony, just facing to the river. The location is also good. There is some parking lots in front of the hotel and 1-2 minutes walk to a car park which cost you RM2/day. Breakfast is optional. The room is actually very simple and minimal but very clean and comfortable. There is no kettle in the room, hotel provides hot water and cold water. Very near to Jonker street.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bunnies_mum-R
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I had an ensuite room on the ground floor.

About the room:
1. There is a air-conditioning and a ceiling fan in the room. It was cool with the ceiling fan alone, even without the air-conditioning.

2. There is limited furniture - just a bed, and a bedside table. Luggage would have to be placed on the floor (clean though). There are hangers but hanging hooks are limited.

What I like about this place:
1. It is clean. The upper level corridor is carpeted and shoes are not allowed. I did not use the shared bathrooms but they look quite clean and are not far from the rooms.

2. The location. From the back door, there is a river-side walk way that leads to Jonker Street. It is definitely a quieter alternative route although the walking distance is less than 5 minutes. There are a few small cafes along the walkway which are quiet places for food and drinks at night.

Because of the excellent location, I could have my breakfast at the famous Chop Hung Wah chicken rice shop at the corner of Jonker Street and the river crossing. The queue was already formed at 9am. It is also within walking distance to St Paul's Hill and (a longer walk) to a very local satay house at Jalan Kota Lakasamana.

3. The rooftop terrace. I thought it was under-utilized! From the terrace, the view opposite the river is St Francis Xavier's Church. There are 2 river crossings from the river-side walk way, the nearest at 2-3min from the back door.

4. The staff. Pleasant and helpful.

What I don't quite like (but these are really minor points):
1. There are no external windows in the room (only internal windows opening to the corridor).

2. There is a water feature at the reception area. From my room, I could hear the sound of running water all night. It sounds like rainfall and I had no idea if it were bright and sunny outside.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer the back of the residence or on the upper level, if the sound of running water...
Stayed December 2012, travelled solo